Back to Initiating and Planning Projects

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Initiating and Planning Projects by University of California, Irvine

The courses in the Introduction to Project Management Principles and Practices Specialization are a recommended precursor to UCI's Applied Project Management Certificate. Successful projects require careful upfront planning. In this course, you’ll learn the key roles and responsibilities of the project manager and project team. You’ll also learn to answer some key questions upfront to help you meet project objectives: What will this project accomplish? Why is this project important? Who benefits from this project? How will we plan for successful outcomes? Upon completing this course, you will be able to: 1. Identify the key characteristics of a project 2. Identify primary project constraints 3. Define the role and responsibilities of the project manager 4. Identify Project Organizational Structures 5. Understand the definition of a Project Stakeholder 6. Identify project stakeholders 7. Identify information needs of the project stakeholders 8. Define responsibility for managing stakeholder and controlling stakeholder engagement 9. Define the purpose of using a project charter 10. Summarize the key elements of a project plan 11. Identify common sources of conflict within a project environment 12. Describe the difference between authority and influence...
Highlights
foundational knowledge
(842 Reviews)
introductory course
(675 Reviews)

DS

Nov 20, 2017

It was very helpful for me to understand what the project management is. I am just thinking about starting this new career path and i was feeling comfortable in this field during the learning process.

P

Jan 29, 2020

Thank you to Coursera for such a great platform to improve our skills and literacy.The learning environment offered here is completely a learn at your own pace environment,making it flexible to learn.

126 - 150 of 1,589 Reviews for Initiating and Planning Projects

By SWATI J

Nov 20, 2019

This is a very well written, interactive course that provides a great foundation for Project Management learning. I highly recommend, with excellent case studies and all-encompassing quizzes.

By Claudia M

Jun 04, 2017

I'm very glad I took this course! It actually helped me organise the project I manage better and it gave the tools to have a better perspective on the approach. Surely a good recommendation!

By CHAYANIT N

Jan 04, 2020

Excellent and very practical courses. The examples/questions from the real life gave a me a crutial understanding of the course, especially the penalist session at the end, was of much use.

By Timbake D

Mar 20, 2018

This course was not only organized really great with rich, various and quality content/slides, but also apply materials as well as useful links. They helped me to learn alot week by week.

By Cristina H

Feb 12, 2020

Very helpful for beginners in project management. Concepts are introduced gradually and with relevant examples. The videos also make the learning process and content much more friendlier.

By Saidat O

Dec 13, 2018

Very insightful. Liked the different types of learning resources and I've definitely come away with a better understanding of project management and what it takes to be a project manager.

By Anna D S

Jul 03, 2017

Nicely presented, very practical. Definitely recommend to those starting their project management careers as well as those who learned by do and need more technical insight on the matter.

By Rajkumar T

Jun 28, 2017

It is really a great start for the program managers to learn the simple and effective techniques to improve the efficiency and performance of individual contribution and the overall proje

By Gordon Q M

Aug 02, 2018

This course can be applied to your personal life and you will immediately see improvements in your planning and logic when you take the time to use those tools learned from this course.

By Deepali K

Feb 25, 2018

Great content, specially the inclusion of chapter/lesson excerpts from PMBOK guide. The flash lesson modules also make it easy to grasp the content. Overall a great learning experience.

By Abdallah S A

Mar 28, 2020

I'd like First to Thank your respected Team that allow For World Those Useful Materials ,it Was an Believable experience and self investment >>wish to be PMP Certified by ur efforts ..

By Carlos C P

Jul 25, 2017

This course gave me an overall image of the realm of project management. The lessons were very clear and they provided very good examples which helped me understand all the concepts.

By Zahid H J

Feb 03, 2017

I have thoroughly enjoyed the learning from this course. Although I have been engaged in the Project Management profession since last 10 years even then have learnt many new things.

By Sylvia H

Feb 26, 2018

I liked the course. It is a beginner course therefore for me it was a bit of a review or more formalizing of knowledge I had. But good for beginners to get into project management.

By Sarah T

Jul 30, 2019

Awesome course! Perfect for those who are just beginning to dip their feet into Project Management. Very clear, plenty of resources for one to understand the lectures and content.

By ADEEL A

Jan 11, 2019

This is best course for those candidate who interested in PMP. This is basic course for planning every project. Also very helpful for managers, engineers, project managers etc.

By Abdelatif A

Apr 16, 2017

This course armed the amateur manager I was, with the solid foundation that the professional project manager I am becoming really needed in order to start thriving in his career.

By Kirin K

May 10, 2016

This is a great class for any manager or team leader, whether or not you officially want to get your PMP certification. You will learn a lot, and it's a very manageable workload!

By Jean F

May 01, 2018

Well-organized and presented course material. I started a similar course at a competing MOOC and quickly became frustrated. This program, though, was definitely worth my time.

By Nadiya D

Nov 05, 2016

Great course! Very easy to follow. It covers more then initiating and planning. You will learn about stakeholders, artifacts and touch upon all the areas in project management.

By Gleison V D

Oct 19, 2015

Great course, great methodology and great teacher, it's all I have to say. It's easy for you to learn and to visualize where to apply in real life the knowledges acquired here.

By Karen S

Aug 01, 2017

Great beginning to the topic of project management. Also a great indicator for me that this is a very good fit for my skills and career experience so far. Let's keep going!

By Ayako T

May 01, 2017

Although my first motive taking this course to study for PMP exam, but I also find it very useful and practical for what I do at work everyday. I am glad I took this course!

By Luis R G L

Dec 30, 2019

Considerando que se trata de un curso introductorio, me parece muy completo y con buena teoría. Lo apoyaría un poco más con casos prácticos para reforzar algunos conceptos.

By Stephen F

Apr 25, 2018

This has been made so easy to study with the video explanations and the reading material really helps as it is put in a manner that is easily understandable... Great Work!!