Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

AJ
Jun 5, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

MS
Jul 15, 2020

This is indeed a very good course for a beginner since it discusses all the ways of preparing and delivering a proper speech with necessary theoretical as well as practical classes and assignments.

26 - 50 of 506 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

o

d

By BHOSLE R D

Jan 24, 2020

good

By Brandon W

Oct 21, 2019

I was finished with assignments two weeks in advance with the belief that I could complete the course and receive the certificate early; that is not true. They make you wait until the end, which is very frustrating and inefficient.

By Zachary A

Dec 15, 2019

A bit boring

By hussain a

May 8, 2018

so bad

By Oluwakayode O

Jul 25, 2020

I didn't know what to expect going into this course but taking a look through the overview made me take a punt. It was great, enjoyable and very insightful and covered a lot of ground for an introduction course. The timings were manageable and focused.

The teachings were clear and concise which made it much easier to learn and complete the assignments. The course had many positives but one of my many takeaways would be that It not only teaches you how to think about (and deliver) your speech, it also touches on how to listen, break-down and decode other speeches from a listeners perspective.

I fully recommend to anyone who is thinking of taking this course to do it, I found it very useful and it's a skill I'll be practicing and fine-tuning for a long time. You won't be dissapointed!

By Diego M

Feb 12, 2021

I loved the course. The content was high quality. The videos and materials were concise, clear, and effective. The assignments were similarly great with creative and analytical questions. The discussion forums available are good, but they can be improved. The only aspects that I didn't like were: There were no enough short quizzes to test yourself in the videos like other courses, some quizzes were too short, people did not give much valuable feedback in peer reviews, and the speech assignments were not very focused on the implementation of the knowledge (practicality) as I would have liked. Anyways, it was awesome; strongly recommended for developing communication skills.

By Jennifer D

Aug 10, 2017

A really big thank you to Dr. Matt McGarrity! This was a very interesting, very informative and very enjoyable course. I wasn't sure what to expect so it was a pleasant surprise to find it so useful and at the same time fun. I have already recommended it to several people (likely many more). It is well worth the time and probably not just for public speaking; I think it is valuable on even a basic communication level. For me, I sought out this course to try to help myself tackle speaking apprehension and I think I struck gold in finding a course that did that and so much more. Do not hesitate to do this!!

By Jaya

I am fortunate to get trained by excellent trainer Dr. Matt McGarrity. Earlier I was not able to follow his too fast speech but later on ai started enjoying his pace and intonation. His sense of humour made all the session so interesting that I watched many videos twice or thrice. I would love to join another cours under his mentorship. This is one of best courses I ever attended on public speaking. The quality of content and references are unparalleled. I will recommend everyone mu students, my colleagues and to my friends to join this course. Thank you excellent training session and course material.

By Akin A

May 14, 2020

I really liked this course - this is one of the best that I have taken. The content and lectures were brilliant. The quizzes and assignments were also really well thought out too. Having to write, prepare and deliver speeches really pushed you to improve.

The only slightly disappointment was that some of the peer reviews are abit weak. I felt that in the first few weeks of the course I received good constructive feedback. Near the end of the course I would only get feedback like "good" or "adequate", which isn't very helpful.

Nonetheless, this is a fantastic course and one that I thoroughly recommend.

By Ginamarie Z C

Dec 21, 2020

Professor McGarrity demonstrated great energy and I really enjoyed his use of humor throughout the course. The course materials are some of the best I have seen...easy to follow, comprehensive, smaller video segments to keep the viewer engaged. Summaries were helpful in preparing for the quizzes. Lots of optional pieces and definitely worth completing for the full experience. I look forward to putting into practice the skills I learned from this course. Definitely recommend this course if you are aspiring to be a better public speaker or just interested in public speaking.

By Oscar C

Aug 11, 2017

Throughout all of high school, I attacked public speaking class as an unnecessary class, but I did so because I actually feared it a bit. However, this course, after being a bit hesitant to take it at first, was incredible. Although it was only an introduction to public speaking, it gave me valuable insight into what it really is and practical skills that I put to use immediately (I noticed results instantly in the way people listened to me). I plan on taking the rest of the courses that come after this one!

By GLADSON V C

Aug 27, 2020

The course is very helpful for all of us that have no idea of how to speak in front of the public. Very useful technics and well taught by the professor in order to strategically speak and organize not only the speech itself but also other activities. My deep thankfulness to Professor Matt McGarrity, to the University of Washington and of course to Coursera for this MOOC and for allowing us to learn by this way. Now I'm engaged with the topic and I'm sure I'm going to take the other courses related to.

By BHANU S K

May 23, 2020

A long hand salute to the Professor.Dr. Matt Mcgarrity for just training me in Public speaking and its essential canons like Invention, Arrangement, Style and Delivery .This course made me evaluate where i am doing wrong since years in most of my speeches and debates. Peer graded assignments were really helpful and hard to evaluate and mark some of the really good fellow orators around the world. Thank you University of Washington. Eternal Sagacious Learner - Bhanu Siva Krishna

By Padmeswar D

Jul 7, 2020

To be very honest, my experience in this course was highly enriching. Professor Matt McGarrity is simply great to listen to. Looking forward to do few more courses in future for Public Speaking under him. The only thing I think I should reveal is that the feedback from the peers mayn't be that great; so, whoever joins this course need not feel disheartened on receiving an unanticipated feedback. Therefore,tiding over peer group reviews are exciting as well as challenging.

By Juan D R G

Jul 9, 2020

Very good course. In my case, I never took a course in PS before, neither in high school nor in university, so this was a great chance to learn about it. I learned very good things about the KeyPoint speech, that I consider very helpful when preparing a speech. The professor also provides us with tips on how to deliver the speech, how to use gestures, breath control, and so on. The peer-reviewed assignments are also helpful!

By KAVYA M

Aug 24, 2020

A great great start for public speaking! I never thought public speaking has so many elements. Learning about each element really made me self-aware of how to avoid certain mistakes. Analyzing others speech also really gave great insights. And the professor Matt Sir, he is amazing! So lively and also sometimes funny. Overall a course you should definitely take if you want to do public speaking. Here, you learn by doing :)

By Himanshu S

I would totally recommend this course to anyone who even slightly feel like he or she wants to public speak. I am glad I took this course and Professor Matt is just amazing , he has become my idol now in many ways and I would take more of his MOOCs which are offered on Coursera.Also the structure of this course is pretty nice and easy to follow along.I am anyone would enjoy this course and its assignments and quizzes.

By Ru A C

Apr 27, 2020

The course provides basic tips on improving public speaking abilities. I think the best part of the course design was that it had the right amount of concepts and weekly syllable build up to actually make sure you remember and can apply the material practically (assuming you participate in the lessons and assignments). Instructor is great. Would recommend to anyone looking to improve their public speaking abilities.

By GiacomoPersici

Oct 12, 2017

I believe that is great knowing how to speak and how to perform a speech in front of an audience. Unfortunately here we haven’t a real audience, the real one that we really have in front of us when we really have to speak.

This course, helped me anyway a lot, because i couldn’t take the time to follow a real class, and of course thanks to THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON is possible all of this. It is so a great course.

By Mary E C

Nov 14, 2020

Ironically the best course I ever enrolled in despite being an introvert with an extreme case of stage fright. I took this course so that I can stop that fear and improve on my speaking skills, and I loved this course. I didn't intend to enroll in the specialization course but now I think I want to. I also really loved the professor, wish we could have someone like him in my college. Cheers!

By Alejandra P M C

Aug 24, 2020

Un muy buen curso introductorio pero con todo lo necesario para desarrollar un buen discurso oral, sin importar el tamaño de la audiencia. Da buenos consejos y las lecciones son muy entretenidas y fácil de comprender. El instructor (Dr. Matt McGarrity) es excelente y se nota su habilidad para poder hacer llegar el mensaje a su audiencia así sea a través de una pantalla, gracias!

By Weina S

Sep 17, 2020

The course is very organized, informative, and helpful! Thank you, Prof.McGarrity, for offering us this wonderful public speaking course. I've gained a great learning experience and learned a great deal from your lectures, case analysis, hands-on practice, quizzes, course summaries, and so on! I'll be joining you for the informative speech. Looking forward to that!

By Fernando H U

Aug 15, 2020

This is an awesome course. In the first two weeks I had the impression the course was trying to use rethoric to teach something unuseful. I couldn't understand why the teacher speaks so fast and gesticulates a lot. But my opinion drastically changed on the following weeks. This is one of the best courses I've made in my life. Excellent teacher and great material.

By Eva D

Feb 24, 2021

The course taught me a lot about public speaking and was well structured and easy to follow. The videos, for me, were a really good learning experience, since it seemed casual, but also like I was really learning new things. The weekly assignment weren't too difficult but always expected more, which was good. In all I really enjoyed this learning experience.