Back to Introduction to Public Speaking

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to Public Speaking by University of Washington

This course gives you a reliable model for preparing and delivering effective presentations. In business, in school, and in public life, we are often called upon to “make a few comments.” Often, people tasked with such speeches become flummoxed. They might not know what to talk about, or ramble without making a point, or simply be confusing to listen to. This course is designed to help you shine where others falter. We’ll learn how organize talks clearly, write them memorably, and deliver them confidently. By the end of the course, you should be able to significantly reduce your fear of public speaking, use rehearsal techniques to develop a strong, vibrant speaking voice, and perform speeches with dynamic movement and gestures. The speech model that we’ll practice is useful for briefings, elevator talks, interviews, and even as a structure for hour-long presentations. If you’re a beginner, this course will help you quickly master the fundamentals of speaking. If you’re a seasoned speaker, this course will help you better understand public speaking and push you to the next level....

AA

Jun 06, 2020

Excellent course for who are starting to speak in public or who are already a public speaker, no matter you join this course to get more tools & ideas to make your speech interesting to the audience.

MS

Jul 16, 2020

This is indeed a very good course for a beginner since it discusses all the ways of preparing and delivering a proper speech with necessary theoretical as well as practical classes and assignments.

76 - 100 of 331 Reviews for Introduction to Public Speaking

By Arinze U

May 29, 2017

Quality course. There is not anything earth-shattering in this course, but it will provide you the fundamentals to craft a quality speech for just about any occasion.

By Veronica V

Mar 02, 2018

Excellent course, designed to teach the fundamentals of public speaking. This course provides tools and concepts that are useful since day one! Totally recommend it!

By Cory M

Dec 02, 2019

Thus far everything has been very clear and easy to follow. I am enjoying the course and hope to have a better grasp on the course in its entirety upon completion .

By Rodrigo J E S

Jun 10, 2020

This course is so good and useful, I will remember what I've learned all my life. It's not like is the best thing ever, but I serious about it being helpful to me.

May 24, 2018

Really useful course - builds one's confidence and ability, and offers useful working strategies for difficult situations encountered in public speaking contexts

By Sakshi

Jul 24, 2020

I had a wonderful experience doing this course. It taught me how to express ideas effectively. The mentor is great. Thank you for such a brilliant opportunity!

By Y V S C

May 04, 2020

Very informational topic. I'm glad that I've come across this topic while scrolling.Special thanks to University of Washington and Prof. Matt McGarrity.Cheers.

By Marco M

Jun 30, 2019

I thought this course was very entertaining and interactive. The professor was 1 that I wish I would of had when I went to college. Great Experience overall.

By Luke C

Feb 12, 2017

I feel like I have achieved my goal and it was an interesting and enjoyable course to follow. I look forward to taking the next course in the specialisation.

By Srdan T

May 24, 2017

It was a great introduction to public speaking. The instructor was very professional and covered all the basics. Would definitely recommend to friends.

By Danny U

Jul 17, 2017

Learned a lot from this course, much more than expected! I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in improving their speaking skills.

By Geoffrey R

Jun 05, 2017

I loved every moment of this. The instructor was fun and engaging and I leaned so much. I have already started using my new skills in my current job.

By Edmunds S

Feb 15, 2018

Great course. Even with some basic background in public speaking, this course gives nice and structured insight on planning and delivering speeches.

By Claudia F

I enjoyed this course very much! I love the teacher's enthusiasm in the subject and I already modified some of my speech using what I learned here.

By Siddharth T

Jun 23, 2020

Public speaking skill cannot be achieved in a month or so.But this course really paved my path & to nurture, develop my skill in the long run.

By Cristina C R

Apr 05, 2020

Incredibly practical, insightful and enjoyable. I loved the experience, in fact, I've just enrolled in the next one. Thank you for the course!

By Sirinagasanyasa S P

May 26, 2019

This course has helped me build confidence and reduce the public speaking apprehension which I had before. I definitely recommend this course.

By Safa K T

Jul 19, 2020

this course is very helpful in building your public speaking skills. the mentor have very well gone through

all aspects of public speaking.

By Rogelio R D H M

Jun 26, 2020

It is an excellent course that shows all the elements that we must handle to be a speaker. Master Matt McGarrity's experience is invaluable

By Umar A M

Amazing opportunity to improve my writing and communication skills. Thank you Coursera as I look forward to enrolling in more Courses soon

By Paco V

Jul 02, 2019

Very clear content and useful examples. I would recommend to get familiar with the main guidelines when preparing and delivering a speech.

By Mae A C A

Jul 04, 2020

This course is very helpful. Professor McGarrity's lessons are easy to follow and listen to. I have learned a lot from this. Thank you.

By NUB T L

Jul 01, 2020

In my life, I have not enrolled in any of the MOOC courses. This is my first time life experience and I'm pleased to rate outstanding!

By Teddie P

Aug 27, 2019

This was a great course, I enjoyed having a refresher in public speaking and the content provided in this class was very informative.