Back to Capstone: Retrieving, Processing, and Visualizing Data with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Capstone: Retrieving, Processing, and Visualizing Data with Python by University of Michigan

In the capstone, students will build a series of applications to retrieve, process and visualize data using Python. The projects will involve all the elements of the specialization. In the first part of the capstone, students will do some visualizations to become familiar with the technologies in use and then will pursue their own project to visualize some other data that they have or can find. Chapters 15 and 16 from the book “Python for Everybody” will serve as the backbone for the capstone. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Informative course

(132 Reviews)

Relevant project

(132 Reviews)

BC

Apr 28, 2020

Now I understand how data mining, API's and dumping and retrieving data from a database works. Excellent course to start understanding how python can be used to work with data sources on the internet.

AG

Jul 9, 2021

26 - 50 of 1,569 Reviews for Capstone: Retrieving, Processing, and Visualizing Data with Python

By Rogier v G

Jun 26, 2020

No clue what the logic is behind ranking the URLs. For the first time during the course I was completely lost. Counting the number of outbound-URLs? Where can I find outbound-URLs on a site? Next to this it seemed a kind of magic to 'calculate' ranking.

Not a way to finish this course where all the other assignments were doable and a lot of times too easy.

By Nipun S

Apr 10, 2016

Python for everyone is One of the Best Course on MOOC platform .

Dr. Chuck made it interesting and Knowledgeable. Way back 3 Months ,I can't even thing of the stuff that I leaned and implemented .

By ASHISH B

Sep 26, 2020

Dr. Chuck, a long time ago, probably 2 years ago or so, I enrolled in your first Python course after trying several times to learn programming with no success. Before my enrollment, I was deeply impressed by the fact that you're so courteous and generous to allow everybody to use your precious teaching materials (books, slides, videos, etc.) for no charge. I thought to myself, "Not so many people do this these days, who is this guy??". After watching the first video, I could not stop ever since. Your presentations are outstanding and quite engaging. Your sense of humor is amazing. The effort that you put into your slides never went unnoticed. The writing style of your Python book is very nice. Everything you say or write shows how passionate you are about your work. But, what is even more impressing is the amount of time and effort that you give for no charge to help others. Obviously, you could have made thousands of dollars if you used your time and efforts otherwise, but, fortunately, you chose another route, which, in fact, pays off in the long run. Probably, you did not get as much money as you deserve, but you helped many thousands of people who needed help and made them so much grateful to you. Now, thousands of people in all corners of the world know about the unique, quality work that you deliver.

By Jeffrey R

Jul 7, 2020

I loved the other courses in this specialization but this one just really didn't make sense with the others. Before we were learning skills at basic levels and combining them to make bigger and bigger code. I was excited to write a more in-depth program for the final project especially since it said we would make something using our own datasets. It turns out it just meant running already complete code on targets of our choice. The videos were just basically reading line by line complex blocks of code larger than anything we have made, lots of glossed over stuff like java script files, very confusing naming of variables in the python code. It's like we just learned how to drive and then someone put us in the passenger seat of a racecar and is like "look at you you're a professional racer!"

By Abigail W

Jul 25, 2020

I have been with Charles Russell Severance since the very first course.From my first print ('hello world'). All the way to creating databases, parsing the web and creating visualizations with data.To be honest it makes me kind of sad knowing that my journey with Charles Russell Severance is almost complete.Computers and Technology is my passion this will always be one of the courses I will remember for the rest of my life. Because it gave me a good foundation.I have tried to learn python on many other occasions but I never seem to have followed through.I just 'clicked' with Charles :). He's funny, passionate and an amazing teacher.Emerson once said, and I quote "Since we are all related, I believe we have met through these lectures..."from a grateful student,Cape Town, South Africa

By Edward F

May 31, 2017

I took the Python Specialization, which included this course, so I'm going to provide the same review for each of the component courses.

I think this is an excellent course for beginning programmers. Python is a great language for someone starting out - easy to learn - with a lot of power available for more advanced projects (e.g., machine learning).

But, most of all, you have to love Dr. Serverance. I can't think of a more entertaining and enjoyable person to teach programming. Thanks, Dr. Chuck.

By ATHARVA S B

Sep 3, 2020

Awesome course and best Capstone Project with best Instructor. Thank you for this course. Everyone going through this Python for Everybody Specialisation must complete this course with honors because its great!!!

By Ghosh A

Aug 12, 2018

This course was most important one. It cleared lot of doubt on web scraping. Many Thanks for introducing me to JS and Google charts for visualization.

By Joshua M

Jan 22, 2018

Fantastic specialization - I have accomplished so much in my career over the last several years because of this information.

Thank you Chuck! You rock!

By Abdulrahman A

Jul 4, 2021

Their was some problems with the forums the don't answer quickly and that is if the answered, but the course is overall good and great for beginners

By Piyush D

The best course and specialization present in terms of MOOCs.

Dr. Charles is a magician, from Slytherin and he helped me learn Parselmouth (Python).

By Jyovita C

Nov 10, 2017

A fantastic course and a fantastic specialization. It has given me all the confidence and skill that I needed to be able to program using Python.

By Yeo K N

Sep 25, 2020

This marks the end of a wonderful learning journey from knowing nothing about Python, being able to understand the syntax, and write programmes

By Philip D

Sep 5, 2018

This was a nice way to wrap up the specialization. A lot of useful tricks used in the examples that will no doubt be referenced in the future.

By Arya H

It has been a great experience learning python and Dr.Chuck is really an inspiring teacher. Everyone should definitely take up this course.

By Jay L

May 16, 2021

Nice course but I think you should have an actual assignment where students can submit their analysis/visual work for the datasets chosen.

By Moez B

Nov 19, 2016

Easy course to bookend the specialization. I am using some of the visualizations knowledge to develop my own projects. Thanks, Dr. Chuck.

By Karen G P

Aug 27, 2019

Staff is awesome and course is really instructive if you get to do the Project. Also really flexible. Thanks teachers! Thanks Dr. Chuck!

By RAHUL K

Jun 26, 2020

Finally making it to the end of python course i am filled woth knowledge in python and will see forward to achieve honor certificate .

By Byron L

Sep 9, 2017

This is a very good course, thanks to Dr. Chuck for all the information and the effort in the course, all the material is really good.

By Diego N F

Jun 22, 2019

It's an excellent course!! Im glad to do it. Thaks to everyone who made it possible.

By Amit K

Oct 24, 2018

This course helped me a lot in understanding the web and the data retrieval from it.

By Abrar W

Jun 3, 2019

Beautiful Course. Worth your time . Dr. Chuck is amazing

By Allen B

May 30, 2019

one of the best python courses

By Phuoc N H H

Oct 31, 2020

The instructor grade of the 3rd honor assignment "Visualizing Email Data" is not reasonable. I just miss 1 list in the 1st screen shot, and the instructor give me grade 1. If the instructor think that this is not my work, the instructor can contact me so that I can give more detail. Besides, I also explain this when flagging a review from another guy with my comment, but I am not sure if the instructor has already considered and read my comment of the flag or not. Currently, I still pass this assignment, but I will wait to see if I can resubmit to improve my grade.

Besides, I think it is better to mention clearly what we need to include in the screen shot at each question instead of putting these information in the assignment description so that people can focus and read more easily.