Back to Python Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Structures by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the core data structures of the Python programming language. We will move past the basics of procedural programming and explore how we can use the Python built-in data structures such as lists, dictionaries, and tuples to perform increasingly complex data analysis. This course will cover Chapters 6-10 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Excellent instructor
(503 Reviews)
Helpful assignments
(254 Reviews)

ME
Jul 18, 2019

This was a super-fun course! The materials were very easy to follow, and delivered in a very friendly and engaging manner. I highly recommend this course to anyone just getting started in programming.

AC
Jun 18, 2020

Great course for pyhton. Loved this course and enjoyed it. Thanks to Dr.Chuck. If anyone who want to take a course which is well explained and fun for python learning, then Hey!!! this is your course.

26 - 50 of 10,000 Reviews for Python Data Structures

By Giselle d C S B

Oct 31, 2017

This course was an excellent experience for me. In my opinion, Dr. Chuck is a very creative and brilliant teacher. I think being a teacher is one of the most difficult professions in the world, but being a great online teacher is even more difficult. Nevertheless Dr Chuck has proved that this is possible. He makes that every student who takes his classes fall in love with Python, and want to learn everything about it. Also he gives us all the information and the tools we need to understand each leccion and to make all the excersices in the course. He invents different ways to motivate his students, such as all the interviews to famous IT people, and the meetings with fellow students of Coursera. I'm very greatfull for this experience, thanks to Coursera and thanks to Dr. Chuck.

By Alex B

Oct 7, 2016

I really love the way Dr Chuck is teaching. It is incredibly clear and you never get bored even if each lecture is over 20 minutes long. After each lecture you do feel like you've become an expert in that topic.

However, the course is very diluted.... Only 4-5 lectures over 7 weeks is too little content, especially if you are to pay the $79 required for certification. Each week contains a lot of videos that, although being interesting, are not directly relevant to the course. I finished the whole thing in 2 days ^^

By Frederik J E

Jan 24, 2017

Instructor, Dr. Chuck, is terrific. However, assignments are incredibly difficult. You are supposed to spend no matter than a few hours a week on the course. I spent over 100 hours alone on the assignments. The mentors that are supposed to help you did not help at all. Very poorly put together second module that does not prepare you to complete the assignments

By Sergey K

Jul 9, 2017

Chuck is still a great lecturer. It’s a pleasure to listen and watch him. I am lucky for the chance.

But, *some grunting* if first course was Hogwarts-like, second was definitely in Azkaban-manner.

It seems as Chuck was kidnapped from his cozy study, devoid of his fave thermo-mug and such like, he was placed in some dark something. So even Chuck became not so happy self, imho. Some Azkaban-notes one can see in The Course N2. Just look at the paper-glass in hands of the professor.

Tuples-week seemed to me was read in hasty manner. From 14:46 it was even that Prof was a bit inaccurate, (chalked too much of stuff on the screen and one or two other things).

Week 7 showed us his return to his Lares and Penates but the exception imho just proves the rule.

If one asks for my personal opinion, I vote for “Hogwarts”, study-lectures without cameramen tricks and with the thermo-mug. I hope future courses would be great too. Chuck Rules!

By Sai R V

Dec 8, 2020

Excellent explanation. Professor Charles kept the course from being monotonous. Learnt in depth about reading from file, sorting dictionaries and appending lists. Looking forward to learn more courses

By Aditya A

Jul 26, 2019

Absolutely awesome course. Dr. Chuck has earned my first internship earning me around 150$ per month at the age of 18. I'm now a python trainer myself at a small organisation.

By Vladimir C

Mar 25, 2020

Not enough exercise unfortunately + no correction of the assignments!

I think as well that the video format is not always great, it makes it difficult to find specific content in a course

By Minhao S

Jun 29, 2019

content is good ,but teaching staff are helpless

By Kundrpu M

Dec 20, 2019

bonous videos are not good

By Chaobin Y

Apr 5, 2017

The introduction is nice, but the problem is the homework design. If homework doesn't cover too much of what people learnt in class, it is easy to forget materials in class.

By Akki P R R

Apr 9, 2020

I just love Mr. Charles. I honestly appreciate the effort he put into making the graduation video. Truly encouraging students to learn more was really moving. Thanks so much for this course, Charles.

By Mary J

Jan 13, 2016

The book really gave more details about the individual chapters. Hence it was easy to do the assignments and quizzes without watching the videos.

I recommend that specializations should follow this trend, so students who find it difficult to access Internet can use the book as a guide.

More examples are needed to understand the concepts especially Tuples and DIctionary

By Ester N

Jul 28, 2016

Way too expensive for its contents

By Teodor

Jan 13, 2016

The course is really trivial. Maybe I was expecting so much, but the material is really to simple. Also there are a lot of material which lector things is fun and cool, but it is really anoying. Please, try to focus more on programming instead of being cool and fun. Thanks for understanding.

By Limin ( L

Oct 6, 2015

Dr. Chuck is the most encouraging and entertaining teacher I have ever met!!! He really makes learning about computer and programming easy and fun! I really enjoyed his lectures and I cannot believe learning programming can be such a pleasure!

Most importantly, Dr. Chuck intentionally included many mistakes in his teaching materials. As a self-taught programmer who has struggled on one's own, I believe this is the most valuable part of the lectures. The students get to understand from the very beginning how to read error messages and tracebacks, how to debug, how not to be intimidated by mistakes and failures, and how to become a confident programmer. This should be THE teaching model for programming in any language!

Thank you, Dr. Chuck! And I look forward to learning more from you in our follow-up courses!

By Gercino A N J

Dec 3, 2016

I am very happy to have finished this course. I learned a lot from him. I did not like Python. I thought it was not interesting to learn this language, but I was wrong. Today I strongly recommend learning more this language because it can help you a lot with your simple way of solving things. Thanks to all of you who have made this course possible.

By Nishani K

Aug 10, 2020

It was able understand the basics of data structures easily and work out the assignments.

By Ishaan k

May 2, 2020

I took the course as my foundation in python programming. It helped me learn some oops concepts as well as data structures. The bonus material is a plus for unmasking about why developers developed a particular thing. The course is somewhat basic and easy to understand. Thanks to Professor Chuck for making it understandable and a wonderful experience for students. The fact which i didn't like about this course is it is too basic and not much practically viable for students but it good for making fundamentals in python.

By h c

Feb 5, 2021

I've enjoyed and have learned from this Python series overall. The resources overall with the videos and book are very useful. Coursera has been amazing in that it can offer these courses at an affordable price. Unfortunately, on my last assignment with this course "Python Data Structures", I did not have a good experience using the discussion board. I have to say, that I am very disappointed with the feedback from one of the TAs on a question I posted. Not only could she not help me but her tone on her responses I feel are unnecessarily condescending. Oddly, her hints and comments instruct me to correct code that is not wrong. I spent unnecessary hours trying to find a solution based on this TAs poor guidance. I certainly know that being a TA with a forum of hundreds of students a t time may be overwhelming and/or mistakes can happen. I can accept that, but her tone on responses, was unnecessary, unmotivating, and disrespectful. Playing around with the code, I finally figured it out and it had nothing to do with her guidance. It was a very odd experience with this TA.

By David T

Oct 10, 2016

After also learning R from a non-Coursera MOOC, I find this Coursera course clunky and distractingly esoteric. Coursera occasionally crashes when attempting to parse or record the Python code that I've written, when that code runs fine on a regular IDE. This course in particular also includes lots of optional content that is either unnecessary (The Best Taco in the World video, for example) or for which it is unclear how to apply to Python (An interview with the inventor of JQuery, for example). Additionally, the instructor often assigns variable names that don't explain what the variable represents, which makes the videos a bit harder to follow than necessary. Despite all of this, I have learned a lot from this course.

By Bonus K

Jul 29, 2020

The instructor was GREAT GREAT. This course gives me the idea how I can use Python in real life. The assignments are more challenging than the Getting started with Python Course which is good for the learner. But the teaching staff ruined my experience here so I deducted 2 stars out. For those of you considering to take this course, do it but keep in mind that some rude replies from teaching staff may happen here.

By Andrew R K J

Sep 23, 2019

Teaching staff was not helpful & then rude. I asked for help & could not get. When I get help for free from colleagues, my assignment was turned down because it did not meet what was taught. It was a single line to remove duplicates. Yet, I could program this whole thin in Alteryx faster & cleaner than this course.

By Matthew B

Mar 2, 2016

No teaching. Just a guy talking. Do the problem sets for practice. If you need help, pause the videos and try the code out yourself.

Seriously though, a programming course where the teacher is not actively type out the code but just scribbling around it. He doesn't work through code but talks around the concepts.

By Chintan M

Apr 12, 2020

Again all the unnecessary talking!!! He talks a lotttttttttttttttttttt!!! Why so much of unnecessary talking? Why can't he just get to point straight away and making the video soooooooo long!!! Hate it!

By Hakan T

Dec 31, 2019

Horrible TAs. They should all be changed. They are extremely rude and annoying.