Back to Python Data Structures

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Data Structures by University of Michigan

This course will introduce the core data structures of the Python programming language. We will move past the basics of procedural programming and explore how we can use the Python built-in data structures such as lists, dictionaries, and tuples to perform increasingly complex data analysis. This course will cover Chapters 6-10 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Excellent instructor
(503 Reviews)
Helpful assignments
(254 Reviews)

AD
Jul 23, 2020

Excellent explanation. Professor Charles kept the course from being monotonous. Learnt in depth about reading from file, sorting dictionaries and appending lists. Looking forward to learn more courses

SV
Dec 7, 2020

151 - 175 of 10,000 Reviews for Python Data Structures

By Haofan S

Nov 28, 2020

Dr.Chuck's Python Class is awesome! Every lectures in this course are well-prepared and well-organized. The data structures are sometimes not easy to understand. But with the help of Dr.Chuck, everything is well explained, and you fell so confident to complete every homeworks by yourself. I hope to learn more about Python in Dr.Chuck's class and try to write more programs of Python and to do a lot amazing things through progrmming. I really hope everyone can enjoy this amazing programming course!

By Mounika G

May 22, 2018

Python data structures is an excellent course that i would recommend, if any one is interested in learning python. Each and every topic was clearly explained by Dr. Charles Severance.Each week has an assignment which provides a good practice for what we learn in that week .I would most likely recommend this course to everyone.Also, I appreciate Tamara Brunnock and other teaching staff help in clarifying quick questions in assignments. I committed to complete the 5 course specialization of Python

By Edward F

May 31, 2017

I took the Python Specialization, which included this course, so I'm going to provide the same review for each of the component courses.

I think this is an excellent course for beginning programmers. Python is a great language for someone starting out - easy to learn - with a lot of power available for more advanced projects (e.g., machine learning).

But, most of all, you have to love Dr. Serverance. I can't think of a more entertaining and enjoyable person to teach programming. Thanks, Dr. Chuck.

By Rahul R

Dec 24, 2015

Great experience as a hobbyist. My first Coursera course that I actually managed to complete. Graded Assignments are very good, they test a student in most areas and probe alternate ways of writing code.

Professor is great, love the tea toast and the graduation hat :). Thank you Professor Severance for this wonderful course.

Only one feedback: The Quizzes are way too easy and in most cases doesn't require any critical thinking on the part of the student. The complexity needs to be increased a bit.

By Fangmin X

Jul 7, 2020

It's an awesome class, although got stuck in the experiences for much of time. And the discussion forum is not very helpful, since everyone's strategy is very different and there were not similar to what I encountered. And not allowed to post codes is totally understood, but didn't find a good way to communicate with the TA without posting my codes. Hope there is a way to solve this. In spite of what I wrote, I've learned a lot from the class, Thank you very much to Dr. Chuck and the TA!

By Jingbin X

Mar 31, 2017

Dr. Chuck is the most outstanding professor I have ever seen. He is very kind and patient. The course contains the basic algorithm and data structures in Python. Although it will sounds very difficult to get involved in, I feel very comfortable to watch the lecture and finish the quiz and assignments. This course is very helpful for me to develop the big picture of programming. I look forward to finish the series of Python course instructed by Dr. Chuck. I really appreciate his guidance.

By Sartaj J C

Apr 5, 2020

Python is my second Programming Language, after Java. And after doing the two courses, I am pretty confident about the fact that this is now my Favorite programming language. The course was amazing, fun, informative and very helpful. It took me two days (6-7 hours in total) to complete this course. I could manage to stick to it because it was fun and easy. It covered the essentials quite adequately. I look forward to complete more such courses and start working on projects using Python.

By Keith M

Dec 14, 2015

Dr. Chuck's Python sequence here on Coursera is a MUST TAKE for anyone interested in programming. In the second course, I found the content much more applicable to the kinds of data problem solving that I encounter in my work and understanding how to read files of data and turn those into usable data structures to manipulate the information found within is invaluable regardless of your profession.

Keep up the great work and I am looking forward to taking more courses in this sequence!

By henloy A

Apr 28, 2018

Dr. Chuck is my new favorite teacher. This course is very engaging. I had no prior knowledge of programming but I always wanted to understand how it all works. I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into making these courses. Dr. Chuck makes it easy to understand by breaking it down to the lowest possible levels so even a novice like me could eventually understand and create codes of my own. I definitely would recommend this course to my friends and to all who want to learn.

By Jeff N

Feb 7, 2016

Outstanding Course for a newby. All about programming. Lectures and problems are clear and relate directly to the subject not related topics like statistics and other disciplines which add nothing to the Python and Python programming focus. Dr. Severance has built a great specialization here. Problems can be challenging but doable within the time frame represented by the course description (give or take a couple hours on some of the more challenging ones. I've learned alot! Thanks

By Jonathan L

Aug 20, 2019

It is great to go over so many details of Python data structures, learning about how they are regularly used, and some of the caveats of using them, such as learning what kinds of methods each structure has, and how they produce sometimes different datatypes as output. The work was not exhausting, but yet was still challenging. I think the lessons are well designed so that they don't take a large amount of time but still include several concepts at once that need to be balanced.

By ATREYA D

Apr 28, 2020

This course has been one of the best courses i have ever taken on Coursera. The professor was so motivating and cheerful that i was able to complete the course in a span of 5 days, it gave me such a level of confidence regarding my programming abilities that my college wasn't able to give in 3 years. The course content and the problems are top notch for a novice programmer. I'm really looking forward to doing more courses from University of Michigan under Prof.Chuck. Thank You.

By Md. S R

Jul 1, 2020

Dr. Chuck has been my favorite teacher. I have taken plan to finish all the courses. I didn't see yet any teacher like him in my whole life. He teaches students with fun. Needless to say that no teachers beat him. He is a fantastic man. This course seemed to me awesome, I enjoyed it a lot. I recommend everyone to take this course at least if you are in run out of time. But, the first course of Python Everybody (Specialization) should be taken to understand this course clearly!

By Ashutosh K

Dec 12, 2018

Thanks everybody from "Coursera and Michigan" for this course.Special thanks to Dr.Chuck.

I did programming in C/C++ in my college days back in 2003.Latter i joined job in telecommunication service industry,where programming skill was not required.

In quest to change my carrier I thought of learning PYTHON.Initially I was little worried,will I be able to complete the course, as I was not good at programming.But later realized this is even suited for not so student like me.

By Andrey K

Nov 13, 2020

I am a PhD student and I started using python for data analysis in the last six months. I wanted to improve my skills so I choose this course. I had some knowledge about for loops, and all the data structure, but I barely used it in my workflow for my data. This course did a good job to teach me how to apply those commands to data structures. I am going to take the 3rd course of this series soon.

PS. I was able to finish this course in 2 weeks during regular worktime

By Suhas R V

Dec 30, 2019

Excellent course,

Excellent is the word I would use to describe the course. Though I am not a newbee to programming, I am not programming for work since several years. So it really helped me to start with the very basics. The course material is designed with exercises which I could relate to real world application. This made learning even more interesting.

All in all worth the time I invested and I was able to finish the course much before prescribed time.

Thank you.

By Max M

Nov 5, 2017

Amazing course! Such useful videos by Dr. Severance. Text book is a great extra tool to refer to when studying for the exams and doing the assignments. The teaching staff and mentors are always really helpful on the discussion Forum and it only takes a couple of hours max before receiving a response. This specialisation courses encourages me to learn more about these topics and to prepare me for a masters degree in data science. Thank you team, keep up the good work.

By Sourav B

Sep 15, 2016

Hello,

I was learning the first part of this course. First few days I was not able to understand many things but things changed & now I am more confidently exploring the area of my interest & wandering here & there on this site as it is my second home. I am really fortunate that coursera & UM provided me this opportunity to get this course. Thank You Coursera & UM for your kind support for students like us who are financially challenged. Thank You, thank you so much.

By Lionel C

Aug 17, 2019

This part was a little more difficult then the first one. I would have liked a place to write smaller programs which would help to solidify new concepts since they are a bit more advanced. However have said that I think the assignments were excellent in that they make one think more and make you have to understand what you have been taught to complete them. Great course that I would recommend highly to anyone wanting to learn Python. Excellent teaching Dr. Chuck

By Elinor W

Feb 26, 2018

This course is an excellent continuation of 'Getting Started with Python' - all of the lecture material and the content in the provided textbook complement each other well, and the instructors who are there to help in the forums for each class are extremely responsive and supportive. I'm thankful to everyone involved for the introductory information about programming this course provides, and for the sense of playfulness and inclusivity they bring to the material.

By Yae J P

Oct 11, 2017

The assignments really helped in solidifying what I learned through the video lectures. I was also encouraged to work through them on my own with similar examples provided (walkthroughs), which is the most helpful part. This is one of the best online classes for programming I took. One small improvement they can make is on the software that is used for submitting the assignment. It constantly changes my indents into multiple spaces and gave me errors quite often.

By Alejandro R O

Aug 17, 2020

Similar to the first part, this course is amazing. I cannot stop saying that Dr. Chuck is such an engaging professor, such that he really transmits to his students the passion he has for programming. As he says by the end of the course again, this course is extremely helpful for all those who have zero background of programming, as the main purpose is to learn basic foundations and the logic behind, that can be useful when learning other programming languages.

By Rory P

Sep 23, 2016

Professor Severance is great. Very clear in his explanations and I really like how each video is an in-depth look at a specific example. The videos also build on one another in a very coherent manner and the assignments are applicable to what you learned. I think the assignments could be a little more challenging and that more references to the book should be included in the lectures as the book is also very helpful and a great primer for each week's material.

By Diego A C R

Nov 2, 2020

I have to say, the way how Dr Chuck explains the course is really easy, interesting (enough to keep me going and going) and furthermore I feel like I want more (so I have signed up also for all the other courses that Dr Chuck has including the one for Django).

Is worth to mention that I have prior experience in programming (mostly PLC, C# and a little C) but for someone that is a total beginner Dr Chuck explains all the concepts in the most easy way possible.

By Nicolas S V

Apr 5, 2020

Python file operations, most of them dedicated to read the file, parse line by line and implement some sort of manipulation in order to see the application of lists, tuples and dictionaries. Also you will find yourself implementing some string slicing in order to meet the grade expectations. I already knew the data structures that were being applied here so it didn't take more than one hour to complete. It was a nice refresh for some methods I had forgotten.