Back to Using Databases with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Databases with Python by University of Michigan

This course will introduce students to the basics of the Structured Query Language (SQL) as well as basic database design for storing data as part of a multi-step data gathering, analysis, and processing effort. The course will use SQLite3 as its database. We will also build web crawlers and multi-step data gathering and visualization processes. We will use the D3.js library to do basic data visualization. This course will cover Chapters 14-15 of the book “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-13 of the textbook and the first three courses in this specialization. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality course material
(143 Reviews)
Top rated instructor
(176 Reviews)

MM
Mar 12, 2018

The course is great... You can definitely learn many things... Was kind of hard for me and i went many times back and forth through most of the lectures... However i think i learn many new things....

JL
Jun 22, 2017

Wonderful course! I learnt many useful SQL statements and know how to combine database operations into python program. Dr. Chuck's lectures are always comprehensible and clear. Thank you, professor.

101 - 125 of 2,903 Reviews for Using Databases with Python

By Boris B

Mar 5, 2019

The home tasks do not teach you anything

By Hui C H J

Mar 31, 2021

I have enjoyed this course as much as the other 3 courses before it. I had fun learning how useful Python can be in gathering data into a database then analyzing it with SQLite. The examples provided during the lectures showed me how versatile Python can be. I'm looking forward to the last course for this Python specialization.

I would recommend this 4th course in the Python specialization if you finished the other 3 courses and still enjoy it so far. Dr. Chuck continues to do a great job explaining the material so I didn't feel overwhelmed. Learning python has been a very enjoyable process.

By Mario C

May 30, 2021

The course does a great job at introducing relatively complex concepts in a simplified yet accurate manner. It is exactly what one would expect from a "beginners" course that's meant to be "for everyone".

However, one should also note that the topics of visualizations and using databases are very broad. In this context, this course serves as a great first introductory step into the world of databases. You would definitely need to take additional courses later on to gain a more in-depth understanding of such topics.

By Cristóbal H J

May 22, 2021

Great course, I learned a whole deal about Databases and how and why we would store some data in the disk. I learned how to use the sqlite browser to access my data and also run SQL code in it, as well as to do it using a Python program. I liked how everything came together at the end, on using Python to retrieve some data from an API, save it to a DB, then use Python again to retrieve said data, work on it and generate a JS file that is later used in the HTML to visualize the data. Full circle, thanks Dr. Chuck!

By 祝晚秋

Sep 6, 2016

It's my honor to complete this course and its followings. Thank you,Professor Severance, for your detailed explanation and hilarious touch. And above all, thank you, Coursera, for providing such a great chance for all the students around the world, including me, a college student from China,which the access to the top courses of top universities.

By Harald M

Jan 11, 2021

The course is excellent in delivering good teaching to enable the student to quickly and effectively grasp all the concepts and become proficient in their application in short time. Highly effective in becoming competent in using Python quickly and also provides applicable knowledge on how to use SQL. The essential commands are getting covered.

By michael g

Aug 22, 2020

I took this course after having taken courses 1 and 2 of this specialization.

I enjoyed seeing in the end how Python integrates with SQL and JSON and JavaScript.

We had already made code which we just had to run at the end and provide screenshots. Maybe a sixth week with a little bit more challenge involving actual coding would have been useful.

By Artem M

Jul 25, 2019

The course learns how to do really big stuff (SQL databases) with Python and in relatively simple way.

What I really love about this course and the entire specialisation is that taking Python courses, in addition, you learn basics of 3 other programming languages along with Python! (XML, JSON, SQL)

Thank you a lot, Dr. Chuck and the course team!

By Susana E P

Oct 18, 2019

Very nice course with the introduction to Object Oriented Programming and then Databases. I struggled the most in this course (of the series), but with several replays of the videos and taking notes I was able to get 100 in all quizzes. The exercises are challenging but also with enough help from the instructor that they are quite manageable.

By Neal R

Nov 5, 2016

I've learned so much about the functional operations of a database and have already implemented changes in my day-to-day work. While my focus is on Python for now, I feel that some additional courses or information on "best practices" of Database Models and Architecture. Even in this short class, there are so many great note taking moments.

By 陆小天

Aug 6, 2016

I really love Dr. Chuck and I think he is really famous in Michigan! But I may think the content of the courses is a little simple and homework is not so hard enough. In my perspective, maybe the course can get better if we learn more deeply and homework can be tougher. Anyway, hope to meet Dr. Chuck in Michigan! My e-mail is lxtian@umich.edu

By Sheng Y

Apr 11, 2018

I am really fun with this class and experience a totally different course from the traditional way. i need to figure out what is going wrong with my programme and postively search for any possible possibilites online. with the help from the textbook and online community, i enjoy myself using python to solve some problems in my daily life.

By Tony S

Aug 29, 2016

Dr. Chuck does a great job overing all the basics and providing resources needed to dive deeper. The book is extremely useful, as were his videos and code examples. After completion, a student should be able to connect to a database and perform useful work. The course has high value, as the skills learned can be applied immediately.

By archit b

Jul 6, 2018

The content and material provided is very good. The explanation is also very nice. In the bonus section please include optional case studies or any real or ongoing project so as who wants to learn more could do so by seeing real life examples and on going projects. Please also include a material set for the best practices in python.

By Liling T

Dec 15, 2015

The lessons were simple, concise and although the assignments are simple, they are unexpectedly satisfying! Dr Chuck must have put a lot of time to come up with the code, draft the materials for this course and make it accessible enough to people without a database background! I especially like the last assignment! Thanks Dr Chuck!

By BHARGAV G

Jan 7, 2017

Dr Chuck has covered basics of relational database as well in this course where i learnt how to model a database from the available data we have .He has also successfully covered different ways to extract data from files (html,xml,json) and dump into database as well as pulll from database and write into file in specific format.

By João G S

Jul 2, 2019

Teaches in a very clear way some fundamental concepts about databases and its integration with Python, although its relevante goes way beyond Python, as the concepts presented are fundamental to understand databases in any context. Very good job in introducing databases to those that have no previous knowledge about this topic!

By Mouhamadou G

Apr 10, 2019

I am so glad to part of this specialization Dr. Chuck, Thanks to this specialization, I've learned a lot about programming in Python. In this course, We have learned how to design model a database, how to use python to clean raw data and store the cleaned data into a relational database, how to query data with SQL and so on.

By Mohamed A

Jul 26, 2019

Course is really easy yet informative. It doesn't require writing a lot of code in the assignments, since you're given startup code for assignments, you only have to modify it to complete the assignment. Dr Chuck explanations are straightforward and easy to understand. The lectures are short and you can fallow them quickly.

By 慈曦

Jul 6, 2017

It's a great course,it tells us how to connect python with other thing,like database.

And let me know what is data mining.

This serialization has help a lot,i love the professor,he is funny and patience,i think he is definitely a good teacher.

If i can go to university of michigan and be his student,that would be really great.

By ZheAn Y

May 3, 2017

Love Dr.Chuck , leading me into Python programming and become a learner of Python programmer.

Love these series of courses and I have complete these courses today. Thanks again to Dr.Chuck and faculty of course. It helps me a lot and I feel accomplishment. Looking forward for my new courses in relate courses(data science ).

By Frank D

Aug 28, 2020

I found this course brilliant. The topics were so well explained and it was an easy introduction to Databases with Python. I would highly recommend the course and recommend Dr. Charles Severence for his easy teaching style and his humour. The videos were very effective and the references to other sites very interesting.

By Matija Č

Dec 27, 2016

Very well organized, great course materials (small modules and simple enough to understand),

thoroughly explained in video lectures, but tasks need to specify more on what it is that's expected of participant to do. Also, very much like the history lectures and would like more of those as well as the more practical ones.

By Rajesh C

Jan 13, 2016

This course provides very useful information on how Python can be used to access the DB and how the data can be manipulated from the plain text/xml to DB and then to the real word applications such as Google Maps.

Very useful and learnt a lot. The presentation was very detailed and to the point.

Thank you for the effort.

By Maksym S

Jan 14, 2016

Great course and excellent introduction to the SQL databases. The only minor point is the last assignment - I was really looking forward to be challenged in some D3.js data visualisation, but the task had nothing to do with programming. On the bright side - I've got some boiler plate code to play with in my free time.