Back to Using Databases with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Databases with Python by University of Michigan

This course will introduce students to the basics of the Structured Query Language (SQL) as well as basic database design for storing data as part of a multi-step data gathering, analysis, and processing effort. The course will use SQLite3 as its database. We will also build web crawlers and multi-step data gathering and visualization processes. We will use the D3.js library to do basic data visualization. This course will cover Chapters 14-15 of the book “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-13 of the textbook and the first three courses in this specialization. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality course material
(143 Reviews)
Top rated instructor
(176 Reviews)

MM

Mar 13, 2018

The course is great... You can definitely learn many things... Was kind of hard for me and i went many times back and forth through most of the lectures... However i think i learn many new things....

JL

Jun 23, 2017

Wonderful course! I learnt many useful SQL statements and know how to combine database operations into python program. Dr. Chuck's lectures are always comprehensible and clear. Thank you, professor.

151 - 175 of 2,427 Reviews for Using Databases with Python

By Jarrod J

May 31, 2017

This class was great for starting down the road to use Python for true processing of data, particularly for populating databases with data scraped from the web/similar sources. Looking forward to applying what I have learned to my day-to-day life!

By David G B

Dec 26, 2015

The course completes the series and does it well. I work for one of the RDBMS vendors, so I've been around SQL for a long time, and this course does an excellent job at the basics, plus how to use python along with the basics. Highly recommended.

By Jerry E B J

Mar 24, 2016

I enjoyed the lectures, and the overall focus on understanding the information, not such rigidity in structure of class, testing, time limits. This seems to be a better innovative freedom based way of learning that I seem to learn better within.

By Marco H

Jun 09, 2019

Some of the assignments were a little easy (usually just do a small modification of the provided code), but I think I still learnt enough to get started with using databases . The presenter is engaging enough and explains concepts very clearly.

By Prince Y

Feb 25, 2017

Enjoyed every lecture. Dr. Chuck does an excellent job in explaining the concepts covered. Not too challenging assignments were also key. The bonus videos are very inspiring to see all those really smart yet humble people talk about their work.

By Trashant R

Nov 29, 2019

This course has added to my knowledge of python, how to use database SQLite in particular, SQL commands, processing and data visualization. Thank You, Dr. Chuck Severance, for this beautiful course. Looking forward to completing the Capstone.

By Max B

Jan 21, 2019

Another great course from Dr. Chuck. Have you ever wondered how to read data and build databases using Python? Then this course is for you. Easy to follow along, good lectures and material and (quite) easy but good assignments. Two thumbs up!

By Matthew C

Sep 24, 2016

Fantastic course! Thank you so much to Dr Chuck, you have done a great job of creating this course, and making it accessible, educational and entertaining at the same time!

Thank you s much and I do hope you go on to make more courses

By NoneLand

Nov 12, 2017

An introduction for database concept, but only a introduction. The sparking point is the use of python to manipulate the database, in detail sqlite. Thanks Chuck for this wonderful course, making me think that database is not that difficult.

By Prasanth T

May 16, 2017

Very useful course in the process of learning Python & Databases with Python. Learnt about lot of cool stuff such as OOP, Classes and Objects, Inheritance data bases, SQLite, Database Modeling, Relational Database and Using Google Maps API.

By Daniel T

Aug 11, 2016

This course cut away a bit from the Python-only track and ventured into beginner SQL territory, which was an excellent choice. In this course the pieces really started to come together. I was expecting a bit more difficult exercises, though!

By Rishi K B

May 26, 2016

Professor Chuck have continued his brilliant course series right up to the final lecture, I thoroughly enjoyed it. The lessons and assignments were one of the best. Thanks for making this journey so incredible. On to the capstone now ... !!

By Galina K

Dec 20, 2019

Amazing course. Very easy to follow and understand. I have just finished my probation on a new job analyzing data using Python :))))) Great Thanks to Charles Russell Severance! Thank you for making it super easy and fun to learn Python :)

By Zaw M H

Jul 04, 2020

This is a great course especially for those people who are new to the database. Relational Database was the most difficult part for me. Now, I fully understand what is the relational database and how to construct a database step by step.

By Zhen W

Aug 30, 2019

This course is great. Someone may say this is easy, I guess it's different learning process. To me, I carefully reviewed the code which the professor listed during the class, I find this is very helpful and I learned a lot as a beginner.

By Stefan H

Sep 25, 2018

with learning only a litte bit of coding, Dr. Chuck teaches you that much can be achieved. He successfully shows how quickly you can abstract code and simply implement functions or objects that do a lot of coding for you. Great teacher!

By Vinayak

Feb 09, 2019

It is an awesome systematically organized course for a beginner to learn SQL commands. Dr. Charles explains concepts brilliantly with good examples. It is a very good course for someone who is wanting to enter the world of databases...

By Bruce W

Feb 11, 2018

This is a good course for using Python with a special version of SQL. Even though it could use a little more depth on the SQL portion, it provides real, usable examples to recognize the powerful potential that exists with these tools.

By sameer s

May 01, 2020

Awesome course with very basic details about how to deal with DB related functionality using Python. Charles is one of the best instructor I have came across. Will recommend this course to everyone who is interested is Python and DB!

By V K R

I think these courses are very useful to me, Excellent instructor,efficient teaching methodology,assignment explanations are very good.

Thank you for courseera team and University of Michigan, such a wonderful opportunity given to me

By Finn E D

Apr 16, 2020

Another great course from Dr. Chuck. I have taken an introductory python class before, but had never learned any SQL or anything to do with databases. It is clear how many possibilities this subject can open up for your programming.

By Moez B

Oct 02, 2016

Excellent course. It could be more challenging, but it is still a fun, well-delivered and well-balanced course that benefits the beginner as well as the novice. Dr. Chuck is great and very engaging. Looking forward to the capstone.

By Stefan K

Jan 03, 2016

Another great course in this specialization that shows how python interacts with databases. Professor Chuck does a great job in explaining all the concepts and showing examples. I am already looking forward to the Capstone project.

By Timothy E B

Dec 23, 2015

Great class and great set of classes. Dr. Chuck does an awesome job of clearly conveying concepts that stick with you. I have already used the content I've learned to perform some the associated tasks of my job better and faster.

By Darnley F

Jan 12, 2019

Great instructor and well organized course content, including the quizzes and assignments. The bonus material with the interviews with some computer science gurus, like Gordon Bell, Andrew Tannembaum and Niklaus Wirth was a plus.