Back to Using Databases with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Databases with Python by University of Michigan

This course will introduce students to the basics of the Structured Query Language (SQL) as well as basic database design for storing data as part of a multi-step data gathering, analysis, and processing effort. The course will use SQLite3 as its database. We will also build web crawlers and multi-step data gathering and visualization processes. We will use the D3.js library to do basic data visualization. This course will cover Chapters 14-15 of the book “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-13 of the textbook and the first three courses in this specialization. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality course material

(143 Reviews)

Top rated instructor

(176 Reviews)

MM

Mar 12, 2018

The course is great... You can definitely learn many things... Was kind of hard for me and i went many times back and forth through most of the lectures... However i think i learn many new things....

JG

Jun 16, 2016

This course was great! I enjoyed parsing different types of data: from documents and the web. This course is definitely (rudimentary) a must take course for anyone who wants to go into data science.

3001 - 3025 of 3,040 Reviews for Using Databases with Python

By Srj S

Oct 12, 2020

Although I do not want to write a negativ comment, I have no other choice than saying that this course was almost useless to me and that I wouldn't have understood anything if I hadn't had the basics of SQL in university.

The SQL language isn't explained at all, only some full commands which we are supposed to copy and paste into our program. If one wants to explain SQL one should start with the basics of the language from the very beginning and talk about each single command / word of the SQL language and how it is build. Learning or copying and pasting full commands will definitely not help.

In addition, I expected to learn some basics of data visualization with certain libraries but in the end it was (as always) nothing more than copy this prepared program and just change a few little easy things so that it works.

The only good thing about this course was that sometimes Dr. Chuck broached certain topics which were quite interesting to hear about which made me notice that I have to learn more about these topics more (obviously somewhere else).

By Lindsay C

Jul 9, 2020

I definitely love the instructor, but this class is really poorly structured. I could not understand the course material, but use my instinct and basic logical thinking to pass all assignments. This course does not teach you how to write code, but to give you a very vague idea of what python can do. I was enrolled in a VBA specialization before taking this course, and that one was really good. Fair assignments, great explanation, and most important of all, I was able to write hundred lines of code (maybe exaggerated a little bit) independently after passing the course because the way it taught force you to learn and understand. But for this class, I am confused from the beginning and still confused after finishing the course. I feel like after course 3 under this specialization, everything was taught in a effortless way so that you get your certificate.

By Brett M

Mar 13, 2017

This is the only course in this specialization that doesn't seem to belong with the rest of the material. It seems out of place, and too little was done to relate it to learning python.

Moreover, learning databases and SQL is easy; rather than taking up a whole course, this content could be relegated to one week of lectures in conjunction with some external references for further reading. Four weeks were spent on this external topic while the more interesting discussion on using python with databases is glossed over haphazardly in the last week.

I am a big fan of this specialization and think Prof. Severance does a great job explaining some of the basics of python in a short amount of time, but this course needs to be restructured.

By Mohammed T

Oct 15, 2019

This course is too basic to be helpful. Many of the programs are just read through like how reading from a textbook in college. I expect the class to be better than that. Many of the concepts in programs are also skipped which gives the impression that Dr. Chuck is not thoroughly aware of these concepts.

I am disappointed by the teaching and topics covered in this class

By Beth B

May 13, 2019

If this course focused just on SQL or just on Python, I would have given it a 5-star rating. However, the course tried to tackle both concepts at once, and did neither justice. At best, this course gave a peek into db connections with python. I left wanting more.

By Ayush B

Jun 29, 2018

Another disappointing course in the Python specialization offered by UMAA. The assignments are laughable. A mostly superficial course. The only reason I undertook the course is because I had already paid for the 5-course specialization. I wouldn't recommend.

By Carlos R T G R

Oct 4, 2017

So far this is the weakest of the Python courses, it has missing videos and very little information about actually using DB with Python... Quite disappointing, I will have to rely more in the documentation or another course to complement my skills.

By Wisdom S

Sep 16, 2020

Its okay there's a lot more tweaking of code than actually building your own. The first two classes of the specialization are great but as it progress its like your writing less and less code.

By Thomas F

Jan 19, 2018

The assignments are old and out of date. Learning how to program is hard enough as it is. I spent more time troubleshooting than learning in this course.

By Shubham R S

Jun 29, 2021

Please reset my week 5 assignment in using databases with python. Sorry for plagiarism

By Carlos E V S

Sep 7, 2020

Too much SQL. It would be more useful to go deeper into using csv files.

By Adil M

Jun 7, 2020

It was in a very fast pace and the examples are upto the mark

By Olivier L

Mar 16, 2016

Not enough material covered to make it worth the cost.

By Edwin R

May 22, 2018

I dislike coding but this was kinda fun.

By Andrés E V P

Sep 15, 2020

A very shallow course.

By Matthew B

Mar 2, 2016

No teaching. Just a guy talking. Do the problem sets for practice. If you need help, pause the videos and try the code out yourself.

Seriously though, a programming course where the teacher is not actively type out the code but just scribbling around it. He doesn't work through code but talks around the concepts.

By Victor F

Oct 24, 2018

It is disappointing. If you are looking for learning Python for database management, this course does NOT show that. It discusses basic concepts of database management on SQLite, eventually running pre-prepared Python codes.

By crobeddu

Jan 22, 2019

The course is nice the problem is on the forum the staff don't have time to answer some of your questions when it comes to have detailed explanations of some part of the code that is not explain in the course.

By Mark C

Nov 29, 2016

Good overview. Needs to include more hands on development. 1 star because Coursera wont let me take the capstone even after completing all four pre-requisite classes (this one is the fourth).

By Luciano S

Dec 19, 2017

Didn't see That I have to complete the specialization in one year. I'm sure If I knew this information I wouldn't start the specialization. Feeling really frustrated

By Jim P

Dec 22, 2016

Given that Python 2 was replaced by Python 3 some 6 years ago, I'm dismayed to see that this class is teaching Python 2 instead of Python 3.

By Karl K

Mar 4, 2016

Verbose, wandering. Instructor takes too long to do too little. No value add over a textbook.

By ANANTH P

Aug 19, 2020

because of 1 flag which was given i cant have the specialization

By Misha S

Nov 30, 2018

Time wasting. There much better courses for Python.

By Emil F

Jul 15, 2020

Little to no Python content. Very disappointing.