Back to Using Databases with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Databases with Python by University of Michigan

This course will introduce students to the basics of the Structured Query Language (SQL) as well as basic database design for storing data as part of a multi-step data gathering, analysis, and processing effort. The course will use SQLite3 as its database. We will also build web crawlers and multi-step data gathering and visualization processes. We will use the D3.js library to do basic data visualization. This course will cover Chapters 14-15 of the book “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-13 of the textbook and the first three courses in this specialization. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality course material

(143 Reviews)

Top rated instructor

(176 Reviews)

MM

Mar 12, 2018

The course is great... You can definitely learn many things... Was kind of hard for me and i went many times back and forth through most of the lectures... However i think i learn many new things....

JG

Jun 16, 2016

This course was great! I enjoyed parsing different types of data: from documents and the web. This course is definitely (rudimentary) a must take course for anyone who wants to go into data science.

126 - 150 of 3,040 Reviews for Using Databases with Python

By Tony S

Aug 29, 2016

Dr. Chuck does a great job overing all the basics and providing resources needed to dive deeper. The book is extremely useful, as were his videos and code examples. After completion, a student should be able to connect to a database and perform useful work. The course has high value, as the skills learned can be applied immediately.

By 李昕諺

Aug 10, 2021

The assignments in the class inspire me a lot and provide a sense of accomplishment, such as, how to handle data in SQL by python, or visualizing the location data on google map. They are interesting. I really enjoyed the class. Thanks professor  Russell. The series of classes make me consider to study a master degree of data science.

By archit b

Jul 6, 2018

The content and material provided is very good. The explanation is also very nice. In the bonus section please include optional case studies or any real or ongoing project so as who wants to learn more could do so by seeing real life examples and on going projects. Please also include a material set for the best practices in python.

By Liling T

Dec 15, 2015

The lessons were simple, concise and although the assignments are simple, they are unexpectedly satisfying! Dr Chuck must have put a lot of time to come up with the code, draft the materials for this course and make it accessible enough to people without a database background! I especially like the last assignment! Thanks Dr Chuck!

By BHARGAV G

Jan 7, 2017

Dr Chuck has covered basics of relational database as well in this course where i learnt how to model a database from the available data we have .He has also successfully covered different ways to extract data from files (html,xml,json) and dump into database as well as pulll from database and write into file in specific format.

By João G S

Jul 2, 2019

Teaches in a very clear way some fundamental concepts about databases and its integration with Python, although its relevante goes way beyond Python, as the concepts presented are fundamental to understand databases in any context. Very good job in introducing databases to those that have no previous knowledge about this topic!

By Mouhamadou G

Apr 10, 2019

I am so glad to part of this specialization Dr. Chuck, Thanks to this specialization, I've learned a lot about programming in Python. In this course, We have learned how to design model a database, how to use python to clean raw data and store the cleaned data into a relational database, how to query data with SQL and so on.

By محمد أ

Jul 26, 2019

Course is really easy yet informative. It doesn't require writing a lot of code in the assignments, since you're given startup code for assignments, you only have to modify it to complete the assignment. Dr Chuck explanations are straightforward and easy to understand. The lectures are short and you can fallow them quickly.

By 慈曦

Jul 6, 2017

It's a great course,it tells us how to connect python with other thing,like database.

And let me know what is data mining.

This serialization has help a lot,i love the professor,he is funny and patience,i think he is definitely a good teacher.

If i can go to university of michigan and be his student,that would be really great.

By ZheAn Y

May 3, 2017

Love Dr.Chuck , leading me into Python programming and become a learner of Python programmer.

Love these series of courses and I have complete these courses today. Thanks again to Dr.Chuck and faculty of course. It helps me a lot and I feel accomplishment. Looking forward for my new courses in relate courses(data science ).

By Jay L

Oct 18, 2021

Awesome class. I learnt a lot from it. Database has always fascinated me and this was a great first step into learning how they work. The Teaching Asst was fantastic when I had difficulties with a couple projects. I would definitely recommend taking this course and the others by Charles Severance. He is a great instructor.

By Frank D

Aug 28, 2020

I found this course brilliant. The topics were so well explained and it was an easy introduction to Databases with Python. I would highly recommend the course and recommend Dr. Charles Severence for his easy teaching style and his humour. The videos were very effective and the references to other sites very interesting.

By Matija Č

Dec 27, 2016

Very well organized, great course materials (small modules and simple enough to understand),

thoroughly explained in video lectures, but tasks need to specify more on what it is that's expected of participant to do. Also, very much like the history lectures and would like more of those as well as the more practical ones.

By Rajesh C

Jan 13, 2016

This course provides very useful information on how Python can be used to access the DB and how the data can be manipulated from the plain text/xml to DB and then to the real word applications such as Google Maps.

Very useful and learnt a lot. The presentation was very detailed and to the point.

Thank you for the effort.

By Maksym S

Jan 14, 2016

Great course and excellent introduction to the SQL databases. The only minor point is the last assignment - I was really looking forward to be challenged in some D3.js data visualisation, but the task had nothing to do with programming. On the bright side - I've got some boiler plate code to play with in my free time.

By Juan C

Jun 14, 2020

This course was very well presented. It is specially suited for people with no prior knowledge of SQL, this course got me very interested in SQL and databases. I will be signing up for the professor's SQL course. His style is great for online courses. He has a great way of explaining things and keeping your interest.

By Richard Y C

It is first time for me to have a bigger picture about Database and visualization, especially how to improve the data search capability by defining the three different keys, instead repeating data themselves.

Recommending Dr. Chunk to pay a visit to Taipei Taiwan. Should be quite a feeling at info island to Professor.

By Jin L

Sep 23, 2019

Learned a lot about how to use database by instructions on python, how to manipulate data and renew it. And I've got the oppotunies to combine the things I learned before with database, like pulling out information in Email/html and download it to the database. As an introductionary course, it is pretty good! Thanks!

By Vladimir K

Jul 31, 2016

Being the last course in Python for Everybody Specialization, I expected this course to be somewhat harder than others, but it turned out to be just opposite. Maybe because I had some prior knowledge about SQL and database administration.

Excellent work and effort by Professor Charles Severance and the teaching stuff.

By Muhammad S A

Feb 27, 2016

I faced certain gap in this course and its been difficult to remember the syntax , although concepts i did know , But For a university student of A country where English is not dominant , Understanding the question is quite difficult for people who learn so many languages in their fields :) . But Still I recommend it

By Siming N

Apr 25, 2022

This is a very entertaining intro course about SQL language and how to combine the use of SQL and python together. The difficulty of assignments is very acceptable I'd say. It certainly piqued my interest in digging deeper into different languages. I would recommend novices check out this well-articulated course.

By Pamela M

Jun 28, 2016

Dr Chuck is an excellent teacher. His examples are clear, his methods are exemplary, his style is engaging.

This course was listed as Beginner Level and it certainly met that expectation.

Now, if he would only teach an Intermediate course on SQL and Python with more challenging examples, then I'd sign up right now!

By Josh J

Jan 5, 2021

Dr. Charles is one of the best teachers in an online course. He explains each concept with much vigor and enthusiasm in a conversational and engaging manner, such that it leaves you itching to learn for more. His emphasis is on understanding the concepts and how they apply to the real world, which I really liked.

By Patrick M

Jul 29, 2019

This course is a little more "dry" than the other courses in the series but still very necessary. You'll learn about SQL, JSON, and XML. These are important skills to adequately understand how Python can be used to store large data sets. Overall, Dr. Chuck does a great job as usual by keeping the student engaged.

By Luke O

Jan 16, 2018

This class was great. It was the first computer science class I have completed that took you beyond working trivial "back of the chapter" programming problems. By the end of the course, I felt like I had a decent preview of what real software was capable of doing, and what it felt like to work on bigger projects.