Back to Python for Data Science, AI & Development

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science, AI & Development by IBM

Kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general, with this beginner-friendly introduction to Python. Python is one of the world’s most popular programming languages, and there has never been greater demand for professionals with the ability to apply Python fundamentals to drive business solutions across industries. This course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours—no prior programming experience necessary! You will learn Python fundamentals, including data structures and data analysis, complete hands-on exercises throughout the course modules, and create a final project to demonstrate your new skills. By the end of this course, you’ll feel comfortable creating basic programs, working with data, and solving real-world problems in Python. You’ll gain a strong foundation for more advanced learning in the field, and develop skills to help advance your career. This course can be applied to multiple Specialization or Professional Certificate programs. Completing this course will count towards your learning in any of the following programs: IBM Applied AI Professional Certificate Applied Data Science Specialization IBM Data Science Professional Certificate Upon completion of any of the above programs, in addition to earning a Specialization completion certificate from Coursera, you’ll also receive a digital badge from IBM recognizing your expertise in the field....

MA
May 16, 2020

The syllabus of the course takes you in a roller-coaster ride.\n\nFrom basic level to advance level and you won't feel any trouble nor hesitate a bit.\n\nIt's easy, it's vast, and it's really usefull.

HM
Nov 17, 2019

it becomes easier wand clearer when one gets to complete the assignments as to how to utilize what has been learned. Practical work is a great way to learn, which was a fundamental part of the course.

3401 - 3425 of 3,482 Reviews for Python for Data Science, AI & Development

By Roberta B

May 2, 2020

I just want to say one thing: there is nothing, nothing of AI in this course.

Just some Python snippets for babies. Are you kidding me ?

Sorry, but I am very disappointend. This course is related to data science, you can't put

the very basics of Python here, it is like going back, and not ahead.

If Python is necessary, please specify it in the "Prerequisites", but stop making fun of the people who simply wants to learn and study sofisticated technologies.

** Artificial Intelligence.... You call "Artificial Intelligence" making a dataframe from a file csv ?

Are you serious ? **

The worst and fake course I've ever took here in Coursera.

F.A.K.E. Course.

By Débora Y

Nov 3, 2020

The last task has NOTHING to do with the whole course. The course teachs basic of python for data sciente without machine learning, and then it at the end expects you do everything on IBM watson. IBM Watson doesnt have a friendly interface, almost nothing is free, not easy to use and not fast since its on the cloud.

If you do other classes, you'll get a lot of python for data science, but the final test SHOULD be different and they should have put some exercise where we would do the whole path of the data sciente with python: do the exploratory analysis on the data, plot graphics on the data, etc.

By Mohammad R Z

Apr 5, 2021

This course is not for beginners. The contents are easy to understand but some of their questions in their manuscript are above the class level. Not only that, their manuscript does not provide a step-by-step explanation on how to go around the pages related to IBM contents such as IBM Cloud and it lefts to the learners to figure it out. I even requested assistant for navigating through IBM cloud to solve a problem and an instructor came back to me after a week. They are not fast responding either. Even after they came back the answer dose not provide a solution, extremely disappointed.

By Елена L

Apr 7, 2021

Home tasks are very poor, sometimes too easy and sometimes extremely difficult, and sometimes they are not present at all after given materials.

The material itself is barely ok (sometimes there are not enough functions given to complete the home task) , although I am new to programming altogether, so I can't really say for sure.

I was so eager to go through the whole program Professional Certificate in Data Science, but now I am going to swich to another platform and course, which looks much better (more expensive also).

IMB obviously does not care about its courses:(

By Stine K J

Apr 5, 2021

This is the first introduction to python in the IBM Data Analyst professional certificate, but the course introduces too much too quickly, and fails to explain a lot of important concepts.

The graded quizzes are too easy, but the exercises really vary in quality and whether they are at all connected to what was discussed in the video. Sometimes you're asked to do things not discussed or previously shown.

The slides in the videos aren't great either.

I found it really frustrating to get through this course.

By Maryna M

Oct 8, 2020

I have no idea how 2+2 suddenly got to sin, cos and other complex functions. The week tests are laughabale comparing to what the final assessment is. The course is not poorly structured but weeks 3 and 4 lack consistent practical tasks. I did MySQL course previously and it actually provided you with a chance to practice step by step. Here you feel like being thrown into a swimming pool without knowing how to swim. To make it clear - do not waste your time, watch youtube or pick up a different course.

By Ariel C

Jun 5, 2019

You learn some basic python coding skills. The pain point is the peer graded project where you have to sign up for an IBM cloud account and Watson Studio account. They are irrelevant to python skills. The instructions (how to set up the connections, buckets, servers, credentials, keys, etc.) are lacking clarity and have sizable gaps. I spent hours struggling with cloud which did not add value in gaining python skills. I would not recommend this course to people who want to learn python.

By Lauren B

Jan 12, 2021

being forced to take this for part of the IBM data analysis certificate, however this is way above my head. I dont plan on being a data scientist and dont have any prior knowledge of python. This course assumes you know more than you do and is nearly impossible. I used the quizzes only to progress in the course, and didnt actually learn anything. I will need to take a python for beginners course before being able to finish the final project for this course so I can pass it

By 天天看妹子

Mar 30, 2021

I think it is OK when talking basic python programming but very poor when goes to pandas.

It introduce few function that pandas used. TBH, I think it is almost near no introduction.

Besides, the most funny thing is that the quiz covers some functions that never been introduced in course.

Finally, I don't understand why they continually try to introduce their walson studio during the course.

It just take a lot of time to interrupt studying and gain nothing

By Samual F H J

Dec 31, 2019

lots of errors, can't believe they want to charge for this. Requires signing up with IBM Watson for several exercises which I refuse to do (more than a little advertising going on here). I'm pursuing my programming objectives by downloading Jupyter Notebook tutorials. These are more convenient and of higher quality. After completing the Stanford ML course, this particular tutorial came as a real disappointment. IBM can do better.

By Nina L

Jun 11, 2019

I speak for almost everyone who's taken this course in saying that the final assignment was the absolute worst. It's terrible not because the concept was difficult (it's not at all), but because the assignment instructions were so convoluted that it took me at least two hours to complete even just setup. The assignment itself should not take more than 30 minutes. Please update the instructions for the final assignment. Please.

By Hesam R

Dec 1, 2019

Pros: Good introduction course, thank you!

Cons: Typos after typos (from comments one could see many have complained about it, for a long time now). The instruction screenshots for setting up the cloud don't match the actual page, difficult to follow instructions. Occasionally outdated methods/functions, which have been removed from the latest version of Python. It's just not what you expect of a reputable company such as IBM!

By Olivia K

Jan 5, 2021

Not only is there little to no help with this course, it is the most confusing course I have taken in many years. This is not an introductory level course but for someone who has some base understanding of Python. Do not take this course unless you have to, I did not come out of this course understanding much at all about Python. The modules for each 'week' , in particular the quiz/test are not helpful for the final project.

By Taylor W

Feb 12, 2021

This is an awful course for learning python and data science. It moves quick through concepts, but worse it jumps through them and they are not tied together in any meaningful way. It appears to be a marketing campaign to get people to try IBM Watson services. I am grateful I too this course as a supplement after learning Python and Data science fundamentals otherwise I would not have been able to finish it.

By Omar L

Jun 10, 2019

While the course material is ok the final assignment is the most frustrating waste of time ever. Specifically question five which has you, a complete novice at python, attempt to upload your assignment to IBM's cloud service using code that is so complex that after 5 hours i simple gave up and submitted hoping hat someone would just pass me out of pity, Avoid this like the plague and go learn on codecademy.

By Daniel T F

Jun 25, 2019

Learn experience is very low. There is a lot useful content about python in the course. Unfortunately its basicly watching a video and later repeating it in the laps without relevant transfer.

The worst is the final assignment. It is nothing about producing somethin own. Instead you simply repeat given code. The forum is full of people struggling with it, although they do not need to programm on their own..

By Kenneth d

May 1, 2020

Course was taught well.

There were a couple times that I was extremely lost without direction.

If you look at the discussion, for week 5, everyone has the same question, looking for the location of the data for the final. You really have to dig to find it. Like they could have easily posted where the file/data was. I spent more time looking for that document than I spent doing anything else

By Robin F

Jan 26, 2021

There were so many errors written into the “instructor” provided code, it made it nearly impossible to approach the quizzes/labs with any confidence. I’ve taken 7 online courses, some through Coursera, some through other providers and have always had positive experiences. This is my first bad experience. I will retake this class somewhere else starting tomorrow. I do not recommend.

By Ryan G

Apr 27, 2021

I think this course desperately needs a refresh. From the videos you can tell it is older just from the slides. The quizzes are also a joke. This is a shock coming from the earlier courses where it was very well done. You can basically go through this course and learn very little. Why did I get an IBM badge for this course and not for some of the others? I don't get it.

By Leah L

Jan 29, 2021

While I appreciated the videos and hands on labs the final project was awful.

I don't know how a student can get 100% through all the lesson materials and it is repeatedly stated you aren't expected to understand all the complex programming and then the final project has no guidance and just throws you out there with no way to figure it out.

Very disappointed.

By David B

Sep 5, 2019

Full of typos, mis-transcriptions, looks like it was put together by a summer intern who never bothered to proof-read it before leaving to go back to college but IBM slung it up on Coursera anyway.

I was never under any illusion that Coursera had any notion of quality control anyway, but I would have expected IBM to have someone skim through it before selling it.

By SNEHAL B

May 7, 2019

In a peer-graded assignment, the course is teaching new concepts such as the use of bokeh library, boto3 etc. The course isn't even teaching the basics of the same. I have struggled for like 3 days to solve a couple of questions. Moreover, response time from teaching staff/instructor is too high.

Course could have been better.

By Bilge K

Jul 6, 2020

It is exceptionally poorly designed. Most of the time, the labs and the examples in the videos are the same. The explanations do not provide the logic behind but superficially talk about its function. I would not be able to learn much if I had stuck to this course as the only source of learning.

By Akshay G

Apr 19, 2020

This is not a course where they tell you the concepts of the Data Science behind or make you learn Python with multiple assignments. It is more of getting userbase to make use of IBM's cloud.

Nothing much taught in this course. I could have better utilized my time learning myself.

By Hilary M

Feb 10, 2021

This course was not well sequenced. The labs demanded work outside of the class to complete. I bought a python text book and had to supplement my learning with the instruction and exercises provided by the book. As a teacher, I found this course to be poorly organized.