Back to Python for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python for Data Science by IBM

632 reviews

This introduction to Python will kickstart your learning of Python for data science, as well as programming in general. This beginner-friendly Python course will take you from zero to programming in Python in a matter of hours. Module 1 - Python Basics o Your first program o Types o Expressions and Variables o String Operations Module 2 - Python Data Structures o Lists and Tuples o Sets o Dictionaries Module 3 - Python Programming Fundamentals o Conditions and Branching o Loops o Functions o Objects and Classes Module 4 - Working with Data in Python o Reading files with open o Writing files with open o Loading data with Pandas o Numpy Finally, you will create a project to test your skills. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

WL

Mar 14, 2019

Every course has offered something interesting, challenging, and surprising. I am glad I have spent the time with this class. I would strongly recommend it to others with an interest in data science.

Dec 07, 2018

With MATLAB being my programming fluency, Python was very confusing at times.\n\nThis was the course I needed to explain the most common data types in python in a clear and very concise manner.

1 - 25 of 680 Reviews for Python for Data Science

By David J

Apr 20, 2019

Course focuses more on forcing you to sign up for various IBM cloud tools than learning python. The final assignment has a 300+ reply thread in the discussion forum because you are graded on the ability to integrate your IBM Watson Notebook with IBM cloud storage, but the instructions have multiple errors, such as not working if you provision your storage in the wrong region.

This class is a shameless excuse for making you sign up for products you don't want, and then grading you on your ability to use them, not your ability to write python code.

By Jiayang Z

Feb 11, 2019

The worst course I took. I couldn't believe the course is provided by IBM. The slide is completely unclear and there are some small mistakes in that. And the final project is aimless, I don't know why you come up with such a project for the beginner. Anyway, I'm so disappointed with IBM and this course.

By Aykut Ö

Mar 04, 2019

As in the other parts of the certificate, the tasks are simply too easy. The content in the videos (many typos!!!!) are really valuable but the tasks man... Only the surface of the surface will be discussed, no deeping down into the wild. In this course the libraries numpy and pandas are presented but in the final assignment we actually don't needed the libs... When I read the description of the final assignment, I was excited because I assumed we will need to code EVERYTHING ourselves. So really do the thinking of how to solve the requirements, testing it in a notebook out, reading the docs, discovering new cool stuff... But unfortunately my dream did not come true. The most exciting function was already provided and some of the answers were little bit of copy and paste instead of really recalling newly learned knowledge. Before this review I really wanted to give 4 out of 5 stars but after writing this review I will now give only 2 stars. Actually, 2 stars are in my opinion unfair, since the creators have put a lot of time and love in the course content. Unfortunately, so much potential is thrown away

By Steve O

Oct 30, 2018

The IBM cloud "service" leaves much to be desired. Multiple times I've experienced outages while I was in the middle of lab assignments. It's a paid course where they give you "free" credits to do the course work in their cloud "service." But the credits are inadequate for the labs and they constantly ask for your credit card to buy more "service." While the class is okay I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of the poor IBM cloud support.

By Ruben F S

Nov 26, 2018

Still I don't understand the relation of the course' content and the final assignment.

In addition, I would like to see how should have been done the final assignment, i.e an example corrected and done correctly.

this is the 4th course and still I can't understand anything of python. I haven't learn anything... my money is going to the waste.

IBM says that you don't need previous knowledge of python or programming...that is a lie. I am biochemist and I have a MSc in One health, and during mi years we had lessons of R and R deducer. During that lessons, the materials given by the professors were clear and easy to follow. But this course has been awful..... I am feel like if I were an idiot but I know for sure that I am not. The problem is this rubbish course.

By Declan H M G

May 22, 2019

The course content is good. However, the instructions for the final peer graded assignment are unclear. It appears to me that we were graded on our ability to interact with IBM cloud and Watson service not so much python skills also. Although I completed, I would not recommend to other until changes are made. It seems I'm not the only one that is unhappy or who had difficulties, just look at the week 5 discussion forum!

By Asim I

May 21, 2019

(5 stars): Course was great!!

but,

(0 stars): Instructions for IBM Watson and how to setup the assignments are outdated/incorrect. It took me less time to finish the course, and a lot more time just to figure out how to setup Watson based on the instructions (website & course material do not match). This is something that IBM can greatly improve without a lot of effort, imho.

The final assignment was an exercise in Watson, and barely on the course material :-(

By Robert

May 10, 2019

I had a lot of problems with the Peer Assignment, which had nothing to do with Python Programming. The Watson environment has changed a lot compared to the learning materials.

I should not recommend this Specialization, because of the difficulties with the Watson environment. I am willing to help solving the problems.

By Simon O

Apr 20, 2019

Final test needs to be actually tested by instructors. Has a few bugs in it. You would learn more about python reading a book.

By Vigneshwaran P

Mar 01, 2019

Need detailed explanation for the topics, course need to be rephrased accordingly.

By Het P

Feb 17, 2019

Time waster, doesn't go in depth, the total video content is of less then 2 hours. The quizzes and assignments are too easy.

I recommend Lynda or youtube(derekbanas/thenewboston/CoreySchafer/telusko) or anything but not this course.

Really disappointed.

By Julian L G

Jan 03, 2019

It is amazing how bad this is considering that it is marketed as an IBM product. This is not the level of quality people expect when they hear the name IBM! You'd be better off paying 9.99 for a Udemy course than taking this course. It is not in depth at all and does a stunningly poor job at building real understanding and competency. The videos and labs are full of sloppiness and errors... again, not living up to the IBM name. I don't know about y'all, but I'm probably never going to pay money for a coursera course again... not really worth it.

By Jennifer P

Dec 27, 2018

This class was supposed to be for beginners and most of the information in the videos was easy to digest, however, the final project had elements and questions that were never covered. Also, there were many, many spelling and context errors in the videos and quizzes. This lead to a tremendous amount of confusion and I am not happy with this course or my grade. Please consider reviewing the lessons and final project to cater this course more to beginners.

By Jason U

Nov 14, 2018

The final project at week 5 needs to be completely revamped. Poor learning experience...absolutely ridiculous and is creating tremendous frustration amongst all students.

By Michael R

Aug 31, 2018

No support from moderators, plenty of typos.

By Arjan Z

May 22, 2019

the final assignment was extremely poorly set-up. Instructions were full of gaps, omissions, spelling mistakes. Looked like it was written by a deep-expert who assumed a lot of knowledge that you do not have at this entry level and that was nowhere made explicit. I spend many hours on a number of evenings figuring what was meant. If this lead to constructive learning, I'd be OK with it. But now it was just a long egg-hunt to figure out how I was to post something using idiosyncratic IBM infrastructure which taught me little about Python. Was this course even test driven?

By Rishi R

May 22, 2019

I have wasted a lot of time in learning how to save and upload the data on ibm platform rather than actually learning python. There should be other methods to submit our work.

By Jarrod W

May 11, 2019

Honestly I found the course great but found the last assignment really hard. I legit had to use the Discussion board to help me do this assignment an even then i have no clue what I am doing. The instructions were really vague and wasn't pointed to being a complete beginner.

By Sebastian S

May 09, 2019

Really dry, and the external tool they want to use gave me a "502 Bad Gateway" response. So I guess I'm not completing this course.

By Jason A C

May 09, 2019

The final assignment changed during the course from fake album cover to economic data analysis and dashboarding.

The code provided in the work book was incomplete and not sufficient to generate the dashboard in the note book.

Instructions were not sufficiently clear to help the students figure out how to create a url link to their dashboard.

By Jose M S

Apr 26, 2019

You take more time trying to get to work the IBM products than actually learning python. This is specially salient in the peer-graded assingment

By mike g

Apr 25, 2019

Super fast and the examples don't help for the final lab. The final lab is extremely difficult and there is almost no support or guidance to help you with it. Waste of time. I could have paid for a better python course.

By Jonathon M

Apr 24, 2019

The instructions for the last assignment are absolute garbage and the last project as a whole is mostly a waste of time when it comes to learning Python and data science. Despite errors and use of depreciated functions, the course was otherwise great but the last project's instructions and overall design is awful enough to undo the rest.

By Derek A

Apr 23, 2019

Horrible. Forced to use IBM Cloud and IBM Watson for assignments. Typos in instructions and not enough information in Week 5 material. Very poorly organized and i would not recommend this course because of how much time I had to spend trouble-shooting IBM Watson/Cloud which I have no intention on using.

By MICHAEL A W T

Apr 22, 2019

Course is poorly organised, even the lines of code input by default in the final assignment have issues running, not to mention that the whole project needs IBM cloud/platform support, something students do not agree to before hand.

On forums, you may see the amount of problems and difficulties of this "course", none from the IBM team replies.

Sorry, I will not be recommending this to anyone.