Back to Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries by University of Michigan

This course introduces the dictionary data structure and user-defined functions. You’ll learn about local and global variables, optional and keyword parameter-passing, named functions and lambda expressions. You’ll also learn about Python’s sorted function and how to control the order in which it sorts by passing in another function as an input. For your final project, you’ll read in simulated social media data from a file, compute sentiment scores, and write out .csv files. It covers chapters 10-16 of the textbook “Fundamentals of Python Programming,” which is the accompanying text (optional and free) for this course. The course is well-suited for you if you have already taken the "Python Basics" course and want to gain further fundamental knowledge of the Python language. Together, both courses are geared towards newcomers to Python programming, those who need a refresher on Python basics, or those who may have had some exposure to Python programming but want a more in-depth exposition and vocabulary for describing and reasoning about programs. This is a follow-up to the "Python Basics" course (course 1 of the Python 3 Programming Specialization), and it is the second of five courses in the specialization....

SG

Sep 16, 2019

It's amazing learn for beginner .A wonderful learning resource and very simple way explains everything . Excellent lessons ,check your understanding ,e-book ,practice, and quiz work and lot of thing

BA

Nov 07, 2019

The course met all my expectations and went beyond. The instructors' explanations were easy to understand and the innovative method of having a digital textbook was undoubtedly convenient.

101 - 125 of 135 Reviews for Python Functions, Files, and Dictionaries

By Iziren O

Sep 11, 2019

Really good course on Python Fundamentals and Dictionaries. The data structures were well-explained. I have taken a few Python courses before even the very good one from Dr. Chuck Severance (Python for everybody) and this is the best one so far.

By Stephen T

Oct 07, 2019

The second course in the Python 3 Certification sequence. The instructors are very experienced introducing concepts and then expanding on them to ensure you internalize the skill. This is a hands-on practical course. It is worth your time.

By David L

Oct 07, 2019

Great continuation of the first course. Clear, well-ordered lectures and practice-problems/exercises. Especially like the textbook as a companion to the lectures.

By Jerbie d l C

Oct 08, 2019

Things are getting more challenging and exciting with this 2nd course in the specialization. Topics build on previous lessons and apply them in more challenging ways. I'm really glad I took this series of courses to help me get the right skills I need

By Ron P

Oct 09, 2019

Very good course

By Glenn W

Oct 13, 2019

Clear and concise

By MaryAlyce S

Sep 25, 2019

Now that I've completed this course and its final project I can confidently say I'm an advanced beginner and well on my way to being at an intermediate level Python programmer.

By Timothy L

Sep 24, 2019

Great course for extending your basic Python skills.

I am much more comfortable working with files and complex sorting after this course.

By Jose H C

Oct 20, 2019

Excellent.!

By Frederic C

Oct 20, 2019

Very well structured course. Thank you! I'm on my way to complete the whole Specialization.

By Mursaleen A

Oct 29, 2019

This course helped me to practically dive in world of programming and I learned a lot from this course.

By Keli C M A

Oct 31, 2019

I am so happy for that conquer. Seriously. I took Python classes at college, it wasn't that effective at all. I had so much advance on this course that I am very interested in getting more advanced python courses. Thank you, Coursera, and my colleagues and Michigan University.

By Billy A

Nov 07, 2019

By julia5258027@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2019

Too simple

By Keerthivasan R

Mar 26, 2019

good

By alejandro o

Mar 27, 2019

I love it

By George S

Apr 02, 2019

very good

By Cristian M P D

May 01, 2019

It is avery good course to take. Nevertheless, there are some things that I couldn't understand very well, like uses of the while loop. Maybe more exercises or another video would be useful.

By Alain R

Jun 24, 2019

Really enjoyed the course, learned a lot, even though I've been using Python for several years now and I'm not a beginner. But it's a very good beginners course, if you ask me. And you will definitely learn the basics and fundamentals that you need for the future.

By Yongjian F

Jun 27, 2019

Good materials. Just that grading peer's assignments seems not so attractive. Not much one can learn from doing so. A simulated code review case will be more fun.

By Pranav S

Jul 11, 2019

The content wise it is perfect.I have had some issues with the box where we type the code. Sometimes while resizing the box would minimize to a small line that can not be resized any further.I always had to refresh the whole page to load the container properly.

By Mohini B

Jun 07, 2019

I liked the course. It helped me to understand the concept of python programming language

By Mordechai S

Jul 13, 2019

Great course. Loved the dad jokes. Good pace. I'd recommend a little bit of extra practice before the final project as it deals with material that may already have been forgotten.

By Alvaro G B

Jul 27, 2019

Quite good material and exercises.

By Cevat A S