Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content

(256 Reviews)

Practical assignments

(217 Reviews)

SM

Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

AB

Jun 6, 2019

Getting a bit more challenging than the earlier courses in the specialization. The exercises require more struggle, but all the information is there. Another step along the way. Thank you, Dr. Chuck!

626 - 650 of 7,630 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By T.a. B

Nov 14, 2016

This course came in handy JIT for my new job. It made me a look like a rock-star to my new manager and director! It has pushed me further into Python and realizing it's much easier to deal with than powershell.

By Anton K

Apr 8, 2016

It was the most interesting course on Python for me. I started this to learn more about JSON and XML, but figure out how to parse websites and work with APIs. Everything was so clear and fun. Thanks Dr. Chuck!

By Jee Y

Mar 9, 2022

Very good introduction on working with Web data using Python, teaching the basics on how a computer interacts with servers on the web to an easy way of understanding the basics of extracting data from the web

By 032_ARKAPRAVA G

Jul 10, 2021

By Wasif E

Jan 31, 2021

This is a wonderful course. I really like the instructor of this course, the content of the course is outstanding and highly filled with excellent knowledge. A "Must Have" course for everyone learning python.

By Akash S B

Sep 28, 2020

This is amazing course to learn about using python to access data from internet and use it for programs to help you to get work done. The Practice exercises gives a very good understanding of course material.

By Santiago G I

Aug 30, 2020

Thank you very much Dr. Chuck! The time you took to talk background and mention related technologies like AJAX, JavaScript and APIs gave me tons of topics to research for fun. I'm excited for the next class!!

By Vatsav S

Jun 19, 2020

Great step up in difficulty from the previous 2 courses in the specialization. I definitely appreciated this change. Learned a lot from this particular course and I look forward to complete the specification.

By Divyum S

The course helped me learn how can we parse HTML, XML and JSON files. Theoretically, i feel like i have not understood completely as in how the methods and libraries which are used to parse the webpages work.

By Sumeet A

Jul 16, 2018

The course material was brilliant. I especially enjoyed working on the Assignments. What I'd really love is to have some more assignments given to people who are interested in practicing the concepts further.

By Vipul P

Aug 16, 2017

The course was bit fast when ti comes to understanding the command related to the URL library and the JSON library. It would be good, it the course consist of additional material on the coding logic involved,

By Joseph G

Sep 20, 2016

This class does a good job of easing you into the world of retrieving and using web data. Though, I do wish that there were just a few more assignments at the end in order to solidify the learning a bit more.

By Petrov A Y

Jul 29, 2016

I've learnt a lot of new. I've discovered such things as XML and JSON for myself. I hope this course become a great beginning for my further studying of computer science. Thanks to Dr. Chuck and his comtades.

By Raunaq K

Dec 5, 2015

Great course!

I mainly loved it because it does leave some things for the learner to be figured out and does not spoon feed the answers to the assignments!

The videos are really fun to watch as well!

Thank you!

By Freddy R

Dec 3, 2015

I am glad.. this is a second Python course with Dr. Chuck and University of Michigan. The courses has been very useful and i have applied it in another programs that use python for to develop scripts.

Thanks..

By Hari T

Sep 23, 2021

I love this course. I did some coding before from YouTube. Every chapter has bonus videos which connects us to the programmers who did real stuff. It is important to know people behind who built those stuff.

By Jennifer Z

Feb 26, 2021

Again, another outstanding, easy to understand and memorable course in this series. I even took a 9 month break before finishing the final week and was amazed at how much I remembered. Thank you, Dr. Chuck!

By César A P C

Jul 21, 2020

It's a very great course and Dr. Chuck is a terrific profesor! He explains the content of the course in a very clear way and the assignments really help to completely understand what he teaches in the class.

By Yogyata R

May 15, 2020

This was an interesting course , although I took lot of time to understand the things but later found them really usefull. Adding this to I came across API's and JSON which was bonus for me.

Thanks Coursera!

By Шарипов М М

Apr 2, 2020

Another great course from Dr.Chuck, which explains things with great detailing and in interesting way. Thanks a lot for this great lessons, got some useful knowledge about using Python in Web Data accessing.

By Yee L

Dec 22, 2019

The UM online course ‘’Using Python to Access Web Data' is awesome and valuable. Thus I aspire to complete the course, titled: “Using Databases with Python” - “(4 of 5) Python for Everybody Specialization” .

By fedebenavides

Sep 25, 2019

I would've loved some assignment that had to do with the use of OAuth and a popular API such as Twitter or Spotify or whatever. Still a great course thanks a lot to Professor Severance he is a GREAT teacher.

By James L

Jan 12, 2018

"Using Python to Access Web Data" required more time and study than the previous two Python courses taught by Dr. Chuck, but it was worth it to see some more complex, real-world applications of the language.

By 柴杭莹

Aug 16, 2016

Excellent course and excellent teacher.

The course is well organized that though it's a bit rough at the beginning , once you get into the mindset the video lectures and assignments come together very easily.

By Rodrigo F

Jun 28, 2016

Simplemente me encanta como está diseñado el curso. Tiene una mezcla perfecta entre contenido, dinamismo, evaluación y videos extras que el Dr. Chuck entrevista a personalidades relevantes de todo el mundo!!