Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

KZ
Jul 2, 2017

This course is great to introduce you to regular expression, HTML, XML and JSON. Based on this course, you may dive into many other materials to further learning how to use python to access web data.

7001 - 7025 of 7,282 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Justine L

Jan 30, 2017

Another good course in the Python Specialisation! You'll need to have a thorough grounding in dictionaries and lists for this module, so make sure you're across the concepts and syntax of those data structures :)

By Huda

Nov 11, 2020

This course was difficult for me as beginner, found it too complicated and I needed to do some extra research and studying to understand the concept of sockets, urllib and all that web/ network- related material.

By Bingfeng T

Dec 26, 2018

It's better to introduce algorithms instead if access web data. Algorithms are basics for everyone who is learning programming, but some specific direction like web develop is for people who interested in it.

By Ian D

Sep 7, 2018

This part of the course was tough, maybe a bit more guidance in the videos to get the assignments slightly more aligned, as it seemed there was alot of extra stuff in the assignments and they were quite tough

By Anna B

Feb 28, 2016

The course sped through the coding portions while spending a lot of time on the theoretical side of how the Internet works. Overall a very helpful overview, but I would have liked to spend more time coding.

By Sushanth V M

Jun 23, 2020

The lectures are truly awesome, but It would be better if they are more informative. Some of the things in code about web-servicing, XML and JSON parsing in python are unexplained at least not deep enough.

By Sergey S

The XML/JSON part was too steep, for begginer level XML to Dictionary parsing is complex, and we should go more thoroughly for lines of code, not enough info to grasp the concepts for task completion.

By Joshan B

The course is explained very well but I feel there should be more examples with solutions to verify. I also felt it went a little faster as compared to the previous two courses in this Specialization.

By Maxim P

Apr 14, 2018

Its hard to capture all this stuff in a few tutorials. Would be better if you give the newbies some more examples in pictures or so on. But all in all still a good and very interesting cheapter/part.

By Piotr C

Aug 17, 2017

Good course. However it would be nice if the hints in the assignments were more clear. Last assignment had an error and it was not clarified in the description so the users had to seek help on forum.

By Jeet H

Jun 2, 2020

This course was a little difficult to understand than the first 2 courses. I passed the course, but I felt that I haven't got a good grasp of concepts. XML & JSON were really difficult to understand

By Paul U

This course didn't go into as much detail as I would've liked. While it did give a respectable foundation, I'll have to go and study more on this topic to fully grasp the concepts that were taught.

By Luis S

Jul 21, 2018

This is still a great course but I was missing a bit more explanations for the last 2 chapters as I spent a lot of time doing the assignments and had to check many times the forums for the answers.

By Vishal b

Sep 27, 2020

It Isn't A Brief Course Just A Glance And Some Basic About XML, JSON And API

You Have To Go Through References And Documentation For Better Understanding

Overall A Good Course With Useful Knowledge.

By Aditya A

Jul 28, 2019

A very difficult course. Dr. Chuck tried to cover a wide range of topics in a single course which made it really difficult. Instead, focus on single thing to a wider extent should have been done.

By Thomas K

Nov 15, 2019

Teaching was still good, but this content was less relevant to the task at hand. However, now I know more about data handling and communication ... - which might will come in handy some day?...

By Rohit B

Nov 7, 2020

A bit too complicated. Too much crammed into one course to really get a clear understanding of things on a more deeper level. Felt like I was running programs with only superficial knowledge.

By Fernanda S

Nov 27, 2015

The material covered is more complex than the previous courses yet there is much less explanation given. It's still perfectly doable but one ends up feeling like you are missing something.

By Kevin C

Jun 29, 2020

Siento que hay cosas que no se explicaron del todo bien como SOAP y REST. Al menos me lleve esa sorpresa en el cuestionario. Capaz que no me entere por el idioma. Igual esta bueno chicos!

By Gbenuola I N O

Jun 10, 2020

I am a beginner and the course is intended for beginners. Of course, I would ask questions that would seem awkward for experienced programmers; The teaching staff could be more polite.

By ASHUTOSH K S

Sep 14, 2020

Too much of it at the end was not explained properly. I would have liked more understanding of API's than this. Up to XML, the course was 5/5, but then it kind of went into a summary.

By Iti S

course is informative .but i think few topics need more time and more precise information . graded assignments should also be increased for better programming.else the course is good.

By Ashish K U

Jul 3, 2020

This time it was not explained as much as in previous we were, but ya it was difficult but I was made that much understood to do my assignments and quiz to be submitted in time.

By Mikhail V

Nov 23, 2015

The material is well explained, but there is not much of it... It is very very basic... The tasks, being extremely easy, don't really bring you further in understanding either.

By Robert P

Jun 2, 2021

P​roffessor is excellent. Student teachers (those who respond to our questions) are not helpful at all. Quizzes do not allow you to see the correct answers to your mistakes.