Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

JM
Dec 2, 2016

I have not found an easy way to learn how to code with python language. Mentor are really helpful and Dr Chuck is one of the most self explain professor that I have met in my three university career.

151 - 175 of 7,018 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By CHAPPA K

I just finished Using" Python to Access Web Data", which is the 3rd course in the Python for Everybody specialization.The course wasn't so easy as the previous courses in the specialization as I had to spend more time debugging and practicing.This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using webAPIs. We will also work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python.

By Ausra K

Dec 8, 2020

This is the part of Python for Everybody specialization where you start seeing things, especially things on web, in a totally different light. Suddenly all the buttons and windows become strings of data described in a certain clearly defined and agreed upon way. There is xml and JSON, and you get to understand what they carry in them - things that you're already familiar with, like lists and dictionaries. This is the point where it really gets interesting!

By KIM S

Jul 6, 2017

If you are a newbie who has no knowledge in this particular area of programming , you will be surprised to know the fact that the more you try to eagerly learn this subject, the less you have confidence in this. However, as I have gone through this course, I have realized one thing that it is worth try, and you will never regret what you have done or will do in the forthcoming journey that you will one day face.

Hope you do not ever give up.

Sincerely,

By Kevin K

Dec 12, 2017

This was an excellent introductory course to accessing web data. Almost all of the concepts (aside from basic python syntax) were entirely new to me, and this has primed me for when I encounter these subjects in the future.

Pros: encompasses many ideas that are important and introduces key concepts

Cons: I'm not positive I can derive most of the codes I wrote on my own, but rather relied on editing sample code to make the assignment submissions work.

By Aditya K

Dec 17, 2019

I personally found Doctor Chuck's thorough approach to be very beginner-friendly. This is an absolute gem of a course for the budding programmers out there who want an insight into the computer networking functionality, serialization and deserialization of data. It is appropriately paced for learning how to parse webpages and interact with APIs. All in all, I'd recommend this course for everyone beginning with scraping webpages. Thank you Coursera!

By Christopher H

Nov 8, 2015

Extremely useful exercises in pulling data down and getting it ready to process within python. Very nice (and refreshing realistic) that the programming assignments were of the form "modify this existing code to do something new with this different data source" rather than "build something new from scratch". No academic hangups about the paedogogical value of building something from the ground up. And Dr. Chuck is a wonderfully engaging teacher.

By Onkar R K

May 13, 2020

This was my 3rd course in the specialization series and was it a blast. I really liked how the things quickly went from 'Oh I can count numbers in a text file without any tracebacks' to 'Oh I can count numbers from a json file which is on web and has dictionaries with lists in them which have dictionaries in them too'

Really liked the pacing, the new assignments style, and of course the man, the legend DR. CHUCK. Overall this course was a blast.

By Amir B

Jan 29, 2018

Yet another educational, interesting and very much enjoyable course about Python, led by Dr. Chuck. Finding myself occasionally smiling to the laptop while looking at a Python tutorial really says it all.

The content chosen for the course as well as the way the content is taught - it is really something to appreciate. Thank you Dr. Chuck, for sharing your talent to teach with the rest of us.

Using Databases with Python - here i come!

Thank you.

By Vasanth p

May 13, 2019

Great course that taught me from the basic operations to APIs where I can scrape data from the web with a small automation python script. The instructor is very talented and his choice of words during the class is like a sculptor who removes unwanted parts of a sculpture. Sharp and crystal clear explanation about concepts that are easily understandable by the beginner. I highly recommend this course to the Python beginners and intermediates.

By Ayush N

Aug 1, 2020

I loved learning with coursera especially in the time time of pandemic(COVID-19) where the whole world was shutdown and people were forced to live at their home for their own safety.In these hard times students were free at their home and bored and have nothing much to do but coursera gave an oppurtunity to all the stuents in the world to learn for free esoecially for college going student.So i am having a great time here with DR.Chuck

By Lye H F

Dec 6, 2020

One of the best free courses available for Python. Practical & well-thought from Dr. Chuck. Extremely talented & passionate in teaching programming. He makes difficult to understand subject interesting and easy to understand. Learn some great insight about processing web data in XML & JSON. Great assignments provided too, which has good practical value in real-life web world. Thank you, Dr. Chuck, for making all these completely free.

By NANDA A

Apr 26, 2020

this course given me a really ass data.......thankyou for the people of univ of michigan....and courseera for providing like this platform to learn and also i would like to request you to provide a bonus video like how to get a API key and all other stuff from twitter or something else from scratch......i mean pls make a video that how to create developer account and what are the required steps to get an API key

By Stacy B

Dec 5, 2015

Dr. Chuck is a brilliant teacher. The Python for Everybody Specialization is perfect for absolute beginners. Between the video lectures and the textbook, I was able to practice each concept until it made sense to me. I have absorbed a phenomenal amount of vocabulary without feeling overwhelmed. Dr. Chuck has boosted my confidence that I can learn this new skill, enjoy every moment of the process and... dare I suggest... get a job!

By Melissa G

Jan 21, 2016

This course was awesome. Dr. Chuck is by far, the best professor I've yet to come across, and the only one who taught in a way that I could comprehend. He makes the material easy and fun to understand, without too much hand-holding. I feel confident enough to complete assignments without feeling like I'm just parroting code and not learning anything. These courses are awesome and I can't wait to see what he's going to offer next.

By Carlos S

Apr 21, 2017

I definitely recommend to anyone interested in python programming to consider take this course with Dr Chuck. It starts from the basic and become a bit challenging and it is enjoyable whiles you start projecting in ways to use it. I am looking forward to continue learning and be prepared to apply it in my work. Thank you Dr Chuck, the way you teach and interest to integrate student from around the world is very much appreciated.

By Ojus P

Dec 5, 2015

The professor does a great job of explaining the content in an easily understandable way and is very practical. The assignments require very minimal adjustments to sample code from the lessons so this is far easier than a typical course or say the EdX MIT intro to python course. I came in feeling comfortable in rudimentary python and leave now feeling a lot more prepared to use those skills manipulating the web and calling APIs.

By Shiva h k B

Nov 13, 2015

I was sitting behind a proxy server while taking the whole course, I had to get connected to other network without proxy to perform many assignment... It took me some time to realize that urllib can handle proxy server simple by setting an environmental variable. It would be better if Dr. Chuck can give a gist on how to get past proxy in upcoming sessions.

Wrote a crawler and quite often it gets locked up in some kind of error.

By Andreas G

Well explained course offering a very good intro into using python to access web data. It does not replace researching a lot on the internet to fill in a number of gaps, but I believe that is to be expected. It is important to learn to read documentation in order to progress. Therefore, it is better if not everything is bite-size. The concepts have been explained rather well and it certainly increased my desire to learn more.

By venkata A k

Dec 9, 2018

This course will be completely helpful to the people who are learning web-development with Python .This will not be specific to Django or Flask framework .The target is to read the data from the API calls through Xml and Json data . ALso it will tell you the basic URL Encoding and decoding to send the data over the server . Regualr expressoins are universal and this course will help you to teach how to implement it in python.

By Dylan K

Nov 24, 2015

Phenomenal. My second completed course with Dr. Chuck as of now, and I cannot wait for the Databases course. This man is not only passionate, but knowledgeable and energetic as well. His courses are the perfect amount of content, and the presentations are always thorough and applied.

Can't say enough good things about the instructor and the course in general. Python newbie to intermediate user thanks to Dr. Chuck -- I love it.

By Abhishek S

Oct 21, 2017

There is one thing I believe is missing in some parts. Like Dr. Chuck provide extra material about how networking works. If its possible, may provide material related to REST and APIs and especially about web scraping. Apart from it, everything is great. Real enjoyed the course. Got to learn lot and lots of things about web and finally know the prestige behind the working of internet. All thanks to Dr. Chuck. Thanks a lot.

By Clint

May 19, 2019

well scripted course. i think the instructor makes the journey of learning alot more fun than intimidating. id suggest a smoother introduction of API's and use of JSON, a more introductory explanation to the code used (instead of just letting us use it). might be that the code written for the API calling is too advanced for this class? but just stepping through the code a bit slower can help us. thanks for a great course

By Alexis b

May 19, 2017

Thanks for this course Dr-Chuck and thanks to Coursera. It was easily comprehensible and constructed for a fast learning. Your clear voice and sentences made it really pleasant for a fluid and fast learning process. Assignments are also well designed so that one can successfully complete it with few effort and understand it fully at the same time. Finished it in 2 days, hope to find others interesting topics from yours !

By Jacob E

Dec 24, 2019

I took the whole specialization which I strongly recommend over individual pieces. These courses go through a book provided by Charles Severance. He includes all the material and TONS of code he made. Charles goes through all the code he brings up in the class and explains each piece. There are fluff pieces throughout that are not necessary to pass but offer some history. Overall a great course with a great instructor.

By Vincente D P

Mar 1, 2018

Pretty good, did learn about Json, XML, how it all works together and the coding was challenging but made you think which is good. I liked the course, the instructors were very helpful and responded quickly. Only thing I wish is for the instructions to be a little more clear at the end because they're lengthy.

Other than that I really enjoyed this course and the professor is really knowledgeable!

Videos are quick too!