Back to Using Python to Access Web Data

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Access Web Data by University of Michigan

This course will show how one can treat the Internet as a source of data. We will scrape, parse, and read web data as well as access data using web APIs. We will work with HTML, XML, and JSON data formats in Python. This course will cover Chapters 11-13 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. To succeed in this course, you should be familiar with the material covered in Chapters 1-10 of the textbook and the first two courses in this specialization. These topics include variables and expressions, conditional execution (loops, branching, and try/except), functions, Python data structures (strings, lists, dictionaries, and tuples), and manipulating files. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality content
(256 Reviews)
Practical assignments
(217 Reviews)

SM
Jun 18, 2020

This course was really interesting and did a good job introducing complicated topics in usefully simplified form. It was a pleasure to listen to the instructor and I got everything I wanted out of it.

ML
Jun 16, 2017

Excellent course with in depth explanations. It is well structured. It learn to access Web Data from very basics to optimum level. It help me to understand details of using Python to Access Web Data.

201 - 225 of 7,283 Reviews for Using Python to Access Web Data

By Carlos J B A

Mar 8, 2019

I have decided to complete this course because I feel that what I have been able to contribute throughout these weeks has simply been incredible. I have been able to acquire new skills that I am sure will help me achieve my goals. The challenges I have had in this course have helped me to become a better version. I appreciate immensely the work they do day by day in education. Thank you.

By Dev T A N

Sep 1, 2020

Using Python to Access Web Data" was definitely more challenging than its predecessors in the specialization but it gave me a good taste for how even a simple program in Python can reach out to the world, access meaningful data, and do something useful with it.

It's an amazing course

Thank you Dr. chuck, University of MIchigan and Coursera to offer this course to people across the world.

By Rishikesh P

Aug 14, 2020

Dr. Charles Severence is a great instructor and a wonderful person. He is the only teacher I have seen who aims at changing life and knows the psychology of students to be able to motivate them. The bonus section is wonderful , even though I have not seen all of them , I can tell that they are huge motivation as we get to know the wonderful world of computers. Love you sir. Many thanks.

By Amrutha C

Jul 29, 2020

This is my third course on Coursera Platform. I really enjoyed the course. The course instructor is awesome explaining content very well. The course material and content is also good. I recommend those who'd like to take this course to practice a lot. This course requires a lot of practice. And don't leave anything that is provided in this course. Everything that is provided is useful.

By Marcus S

i enjoy the interviews from the old days and learn a bit of the history. The assignments have been designed very well, i.e. I almost lost my mind in week 4, but because of that I learned a lot. for me code is like a computer game and back in the 90ties I stopped because I got totally absorbed by games :) LOVE IT. Will continue with other courses beyond python after I finish this series

By Elinor W

Mar 7, 2018

This is an excellent introduction to the way Python programs interact with the greater Internet and information exchange across platforms. It got me genuinely excited about the development and structure of web systems in a way that I haven't been before, and it's great to actually be able to apply that understanding through the programs that I write with the aid of the course material.

By Mohan B

Sep 28, 2017

The course content is well structured and even non programmers can take it without any issues. The instructor, Charles Severance is great in explaining every topic in detail. The assessments helps to check the knowledge gained. If you are struck any where in the assessment, an instructor is click away to help you. Not to mention, the forums are great way to interact on various topics.

By mahmood d

Dec 6, 2015

One of the best features in online courses compared to self-learning is pseudo interactive environment through video-lectures. So whenever the professor is capable of providing short, compelling and attractive speech, it's really great. Any reduction of reading means reducing the work of learner. this point is more obvious in programming courses.

This course in this term does great.

By Pratik S K

Jul 24, 2020

Excellent course ! I learnt more about

how to access web using python.

I learnt interesting things like web scraping, json , XML.

The material were very easy to follow and deliver in a very friendly and engaging manner.

I would like to thank instructor Dr. Chuck for making this course amazing and enjoyable.

I highly recommend this course to anyone just getting started in programming.

By swati

Mar 14, 2018

This is a brilliantly designed course for beginner and intermediate level. The assignment difficulty level ranges from easy to medium and reinstates important concepts in every chapter.

Do not subscribe if - 1) You are at advance level for any other programming language.

2) You are a beginner in programming languages and haven't completed previous two courses in the specialization.

By Zhou Y

Sep 6, 2017

I am lucky enough to find this online course of programming and meet Python (maybe the easiest programming language in the world). Before I attend this course, I was very reluctant to learn Programming languages and even hated them a little. This class and this magical language changed my mind totally. Therefore, I feel grateful to our respectable professor. Thank you very much

By Karol N

Nov 30, 2016

Every course taught by dr Chuck is a new quality. Substance of the course is little more demanding than previous 2 courses but paradoxically I had a feeling that new topics were taught without going into details... which paradoxically is good for the course. Dr Chuck showed some teasers of Python abilities and if You are more interested in some topics You practice in on your own

By Tonderayi K

Sep 21, 2018

I thoroughly enjoyed Dr. Chuck's tutorials, for the first time Regular Expressions were explained in a way that made them less intimidating and motivated me to learn more on my own. The inserts of videos about the Internet was also cool. I also learnt several different ways about webscrapping. Before I only knew about Beautifulsoup, now I know more and when to use which tool :)

By Leo B

Oct 16, 2016

I have enjoyed this course very much - same as the two prior courses. The main differences are: this course was much more difficult and Dr. Chuck used some new video recording technology. I thought the presentations were more direct and to the point, but enjoyed the previous style from earlier courses as well. I would recommend this course and the associated courses to anyone.

By Esmerelda M B D M

Jul 7, 2020

The 3rd installment of 5 courses in the Python for everybody specialization; and again a great course. I enjoyed the two preceding courses as a novice in programming and this 3rd course was more challenging for me. I had to do my own research to understand the 'whys' but overall, it's all good. Dr.Chuck as usual made the course worthwhile. Looking forward to the 4th course!

By Shou-Chung W

Apr 25, 2018

I enjoyed the learning experience from the lecture, the challenges from the assignment and rekindled with my interest and desire to learn more. I am happy to have had this wonderful experience. Oh, I also find Dr. Chuck's office hour videos provide a very positive psychological effect for the audience, especially when you realized who else are taking the same course as you.

By Kanza N

Jul 12, 2020

This was the most challenging course until now in the specialization. Because I was a bit confused about what is API and how we are talking to it and because It was more of understanding than coding but hats off to DR.Chuck, he will keep you cheered up and will take you to the end. Things will make sense sooner or later, so keep it up. Don't give up. Best Of Luck to y'all !

By Heitor U

I really learned a good set of skill with this course, the previous ones on the Python for Everybody set the base for this course which every once in a while got me thinking more than my skeptical self would think i was going to and i actually had fun doing all the assignments as challenges. I definitely recommend this one, if you want to start you quest on python for web.

By Pedro H

Jul 8, 2018

After completing the specialization, I can say that this is a thorough course for Python programming that starts from the very basics to a pretty in depth understanding of the programming language. It provides with a complete set of skills that can be applied to your very needs. Highly recommended for beginners and people that want to consolidate their knowledge in Python.

By Nick M

Apr 2, 2017

This course was informative, useful, and fun - one of the best programming courses I've taken on Coursera. I'm on the road to being able to use python for data cleaning and analysis in my work and this course felt like a major stepping stone. I'd like to sincerely thank Dr. Chuck for putting this course together - he's giving so many people an opportunity to learn to code.

By Rene A M

Apr 20, 2020

Everything is really well explained and the content is introductory. I wished there were more worked out examples and the sample code were documented with the explanations of the course. But if you know nothing about the subject but know a little python, make no mistake and take this course. My sincere thanks to everyone involved in making this lovely course! Best Rene

By Pedro M E

Mar 22, 2018

This course gives a great insight about the power that the Python programming language has in order to deliver practical solutions to access network data from across the Internet. No matter what the varied native protocols the resources reside, Python included libraries can provide a means to parse the data seamlessly and save timeless hours to deliver a useful code.

By Emmanuel A S

Nov 14, 2020

I love the contents of this course.

My issue is with the assignments. To some extent, it gives much more clue than what will make the leaner think deeply.

Also, there are some codes in the assignment sample that were very vital to solving the assignment but was not explained into details. So all I did was just copying those parts and changing what's needed to change.

By Neeraj S

Dec 11, 2020

Thanks, Dr. Chuck and his team. Actually, this course was really difficult. But Dr. Chuck helped us to teach in a very amazing and fantastic manner. He told the concepts of Regular Expression, Sockets, Networks, APIs, etc. amazingly. He explained a lot of crucial examples in an easy way. I hope that you will soon visit my county and I will be ready to welcome you.