Back to Using Python to Interact with the Operating System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Interact with the Operating System by Google

By the end of this course, you’ll be able to manipulate files and processes on your computer’s operating system. You’ll also have learned about regular expressions -- a very powerful tool for processing text files -- and you’ll get practice using the Linux command line on a virtual machine. And, this might feel like a stretch right now, but you’ll also write a program that processes a bunch of errors in an actual log file and then generates a summary file. That’s a super useful skill for IT Specialists to know. We’ll kick off by exploring how to execute Python locally, and organize and use code across different Python files. We'll then learn how to read and write different types of files, and use subprocesses and input streams. We'll also dive into Bash scripting and regular expressions -- both very powerful tools for anyone working with systems. We'll even touch on automatic testing, which allow us to automate how we check if our code is correct. To finish, we’ll put all this together by using the tools that we’ve acquired to process data and generate automatic reports. We’ll also explain how to set up your own developer environment in your machine. This is a key step in being able to write and deploy powerful automation tools....

MI

Nov 19, 2020

Great course! I had some previous knowledge, but this was perfect to fill in the gaps. Also, unit testing was completely new to me and will be very useful in future projects. Thanks for making this!

AD

Jun 15, 2020

In starting five weeks , all answers were directly provided and week 6 and 7 were very tough. So i suggest to equalize the toughness level in all weeks ,ie, no direct spoon feed nor abrupt toughness

901 - 925 of 1,131 Reviews for Using Python to Interact with the Operating System

By Michael D

Apr 8, 2020

Informative and smoothly-presented course! The subject matter can be a little dry and dense, but it keeps moving along and covers a wide base of important information. The Qwiklabs, however, need to be cleaned up a bit as they have a few errors and can be cumbersome.

By Graeme A

Apr 3, 2020

Much of the early part of the course seemed to be very simply following instructions without knowing whether we were necessarily understanding much, but the final two modules really tested what we've learned and gave a real sense of accomplishment once it all worked!

By FuSioN

Jul 22, 2022

The Course is really helpful and informative, a bit of suggestion here that please add more practice assignments and exercises to workout the skills better as most of the graded assessment had almost 80% of the work done, so that seemed like spoon feeding.

By Spiffykat 4

Aug 9, 2021

G​reat class and solid work. If there was room for more I would recommend a few more examples with classes and to bring more PEP-8 to light instead of its subtle mentions through other resources.

H​owever, you will achieve the basics as it was designed.

By Angela Y

Apr 22, 2020

i would like to say thank you for providing this opportunity to learn things in a convenient and pleasant way. There are tons of information to digest. With hands-on practice through lab and quiz, the journey becomes very awarding and encourage.

By Claudio B

Apr 18, 2020

Course is covering many interesting subjects. I am happy to finished this course, even if to pass the final test I had to fight against the Python version of the real test (3.5.3) and the one I use to practice (it was a little newer).

By Shawn W

Apr 27, 2020

Too quirky and bash seemed like a bit of a distraction when taking a Python course. The final was a bit quirky and the description wasn't really well-defined.

But overall I learned a bunch of stuff, so ... OK.

By Mark Q

Sep 10, 2020

I do like the challenging topics of this course. Though it will take some time for me to really master it until it becomes 2nd nature, however; this was overall a good course. I would certainly recommend it.

By Angelo K

Feb 23, 2021

This course was very challenging and I think the labs could use some TLC, but covered good topics and I feel like I have learned about operating systems and how to make my code more functional.

By Venkata S K P

Apr 29, 2020

there were many problems in the final project submission. it didnt read that i have opened the webpage html in the other chrome window... over all it is a good course. intermediate level

By Evan B

Aug 14, 2020

Good. definitely would have helped to have an Ubuntu terminal or virtual machine (I am still new to IT and learning the language, if you will) Challenging in a good way for a beginner.

By Gabriel S L

Mar 19, 2020

The course if fairly complete. At the end, it is expected for the user to look at other code samples and the last lab is very strict with the logic used to solve the last assignment.

By Dzan W

Jan 24, 2021

Course content and teaching / materials were great. However the final 2 labs had confusing/gaps in instructions marring the whole experience slightly - they can be easily fixed ...

By Anastasiia P

Aug 11, 2020

One star less because with the mess in the final project. I mean, why would you write: "name a generated file as you wish", and do not grade if it is not called as you expect?

Jan 23, 2021

The course was nice. The knowledge in it is really useful but pretty complicated. Sometimes I have asked to myself if I really like this world.. haha but definitely it worth.

By Alain M M

Mar 8, 2020

The course is pretty good, but the qwiklab assignments need some work, (and updating since they don't have the latest python version, and that caused several issues for me)

By Ryan F

Apr 7, 2020

Bash is terribly boring. The quiklabs for this module went from too easy to too difficult way too quick. The teacher was great and I liked his teaching style. Good course.

By Tiago D

Mar 4, 2020

Very good at its content, since it walks you slowly through important tools. However, fails at some graded activities with bad correction checkers or lacking information.

By Juan M C

Mar 23, 2021

At start the wikylabs was so easy and at the end very hard, i wish have a bit more ot help at the end and less at start. And more resume that dont be phytong.org webs...

By Sonia G G

Aug 31, 2020

Too difficult for beginners in my opinion. Cool stuff though. Labs between sessions 1-5 were easy, but lab number 6 and especially the final project were too difficult.

By Dominik B

Dec 8, 2021

V​ery useful course - I learnt a lot, especially about regular expressions and Bash scripting. However, I wished the coding exercises were a little more challenging.

By Lasal J

Nov 22, 2020

The instructor and the course content was awesome!!! I wish that we could do some topics like regex in jupyter notebook. I would recommend anyone to take the course.

By Bafokeng M

Jun 25, 2020

It was fun and insightful course, thank you coursera and google. I think this course is not for only for people in IT, anyone can benefit so much in this course.

By Curtis L

Jul 1, 2021

This course itself is great, but sometimes the instructions of the Qwiklabs assessment are not so clear, and make me get stuck for strange system issues.

By Preston M

Jul 29, 2020

The course was good and the labs mostly worked. I did not feel prepared for the final project when it came! The discussion forums were very helpful!