Back to Using Python to Interact with the Operating System

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Using Python to Interact with the Operating System by Google

By the end of this course, you’ll be able to manipulate files and processes on your computer’s operating system. You’ll also have learned about regular expressions -- a very powerful tool for processing text files -- and you’ll get practice using the Linux command line on a virtual machine. And, this might feel like a stretch right now, but you’ll also write a program that processes a bunch of errors in an actual log file and then generates a summary file. That’s a super useful skill for IT Specialists to know. We’ll kick off by exploring how to execute Python locally, and organize and use code across different Python files. We'll then learn how to read and write different types of files, and use subprocesses and input streams. We'll also dive into Bash scripting and regular expressions -- both very powerful tools for anyone working with systems. We'll even touch on automatic testing, which allow us to automate how we check if our code is correct. To finish, we’ll put all this together by using the tools that we’ve acquired to process data and generate automatic reports. We’ll also explain how to set up your own developer environment in your machine. This is a key step in being able to write and deploy powerful automation tools....

AD

Jun 15, 2020

In starting five weeks , all answers were directly provided and week 6 and 7 were very tough. So i suggest to equalize the toughness level in all weeks ,ie, no direct spoon feed nor abrupt toughness

MI

Nov 19, 2020

Great course! I had some previous knowledge, but this was perfect to fill in the gaps. Also, unit testing was completely new to me and will be very useful in future projects. Thanks for making this!

126 - 150 of 1,087 Reviews for Using Python to Interact with the Operating System

By Sanjay N

Apr 30, 2020

This course is an amazing experience to me.Lectures and labs are so organised.Final project is little

difficult but I enjoyed a lot to solve the problem .Learned a lot of new concepts throughout the course.

By Yusuf K

Aug 5, 2020

For me this course was great and so full of info (Py Scripts, Bash Scripts, OS interactions, Regex ...) really game-changing tools to add to my kit, and hope I'll have stories to tell just as roger did :)

By Zdravko B

Jun 28, 2020

This course deserved 4/5 due to some annoying typos in practice quizzes and some unclear stuff in the labs, but I'm a sucker for puns and the lecturers surely delivered lots of them in a smooth fashion :)

By Anant k

Sep 13, 2020

I learned a lot from the course. Contents and teaching are great. Assessments are challenging so you will learn a lot from them because you need to do the practice of your own before taking it.

By LUCAS F D A

Jul 9, 2020

It is a wonderful course, I've learned a lot within the classes, and I am ready to use this knowledge to develop my own projects. It a little bit extensive, but to accomplish it is rewarding.

By Bernhard C

Apr 2, 2022

Great course - I have learned a lot and I gained much experience for fullfilling my job in a better way. It was sometimes tough, but really cool to learn Python and reex . I liked it a lot.

By Tracy H

Sep 22, 2021

Very good course, learned a lot and really boost me confidence in writing bash files and operating in Linux environment. Not to mention the regular expression part is very fun and practical

By Deepesh S

Apr 28, 2021

Awesome course, Very useful topics covered esp. if you want to deploy your project into production. A few Projects could have been more carefully worded tough. Glad to have completed it.

By Johnnie L

Sep 17, 2020

the final project is fun, especially it's not guiding us to use selected data structure which allows us to make more mistakes in the process (and thus learn more when you spot the issue)

By Siddik A P

Oct 16, 2021

Perfect! Windows users might face some difficulties at start. I recommend everyone to install Ubuntu on VM. It will help you a lot. Thanks for sharing your valuable knowledge with us!!!

By Z A Z A

Mar 1, 2021

the course is great, the material is great, the instructor is great, I love Roger because he teaches me in a very light way to deliver the content, plus I love his joke, thanks, Roger!

By Rinat I

Oct 9, 2020

Generally good course, but comparing to the Crash course on Python reading materials were simply links to Python docs till the very end. Nonetheless, I learned so much here. Thank you!

By Kevin S

Mar 13, 2021

It is hard writing code in command line. But good exposure and worth it! Although not applicable to my current work but it really open my eyes to what can be done with python and bash

By Jason S

Mar 31, 2020

I liked it. Good enjoyable content that was challenging. I was able to follow along by using the Linux subsystem on my Windows computer. I definitely learned a lot of new concepts!

By Pencea M L

Nov 8, 2020

It was a very challenging course. First it explained the fundamental notions and than make you face with some real world problems, so the experience was quite unique and complete.

By Krzysztof S

Sep 9, 2020

Great course. Good idea to include bash and basic linux commands. Learned a lot about regex and working with files as well as with data structures. Very hard the final assignment.

By Kodukula S

Oct 30, 2020

It was a really great experience learning this course. I learnt regular expressions. I learnt a lot; it was beneficial what I went through in the final project of this course.

By Schuyler S

Mar 18, 2021

This was very informative. I feel like I have a great understanding of how to do anything on an operating system with python now. The qwiklabs were challenging but worth it.

By Thanh S T

Feb 28, 2020

This section is great! Learn a lot of knowledge about Linux and Python. The final project was difficult but I like it. I can apply it for my daily life. Thank you very much!

By Joe B

Jul 30, 2020

Another excellent course in the Google IT certification with Python. Really remarkable how great this program is. I am speaking highly of it to everyone I know of interest.

By Yap C P

Jul 11, 2021

Another course well done by Google.

The Bash part might be a bit hard to keep up for those without relevant background, but overall it's good if you can put in some effort.

By Federico C

Mar 4, 2020

Un curso muy bien preparado para iniciarse en los conceptos de expresiones regulares y comandos del sistema operativo (sobre todo para manejar archivos en Python). Genial!

By Subtain M

Jul 12, 2020

I think this the course that can help you upgrade your knowledge in python and how shells work. Overall a great experience as it includes the hands-on practical work.

By Ian M

Mar 18, 2022

The course material and examples are very informative. I really learned a lot not only in Python/Bash, but also on how to approach certain situation about automation

By Lynda O

Mar 3, 2022

Thank you Google. Thank you Cousera. It's been an amazing journey because it's simply a rich and intense course. It has everything to make you great upon completion.