Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)

AK

Mar 29, 2018

Very good introduction to basic programming. Very easy for beginners in python who have already some programming background - but still extremely useful to quickly and efficiently learn python basics.

TL

Jan 03, 2018

Thank you. It was a worthwhile course. Entertaining as well. I just wish that there were more sample homework before the exercises so students could see how the lessons are applied to actual problems.

251 - 275 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Chichi Z

Sep 10, 2019

I love this course and it deserves reviewing because the teaching content provided by Dr Charles is easy and quick to understand so that I could figure out how to apply those reserved words for assignments after one or two times studying. I think this course is worth the best praise and sets a good example for e-education courses. Thank you, Dr Charles, you managed to make lessons lively, active and methodical like a suspense film that always makes me desperately desire to know what is the next step.

By Ryan U

Apr 02, 2018

The course was excellent, I had done a small amount of programming on my own before this but never went over the computer science aspect so I'm glad we had a few intro videos lightly touching on that. (I also picked up a few additional things like try/except and the break/continue function) In the future i would like to see the answers given to the quizzes after each quiz is completed. Other then that the course was excellent and i will continue to take them. Prof. Severances videos were very helpful.

By Bryan V

Mar 22, 2018

This was the best programming course I've taken. I have taken a few programming courses before and never finish them. This one I actually finished and actually learned a lot from it. Dr. Severance is the best professor I have ever taken a class from. He really is very thorough in what he is teaching. He explains things multiple times in multiple different ways for you to understand exactly what he is talking about. You never feel lost while taking this class, everything is so engrained into your head.

By Abhijeet G

Nov 10, 2019

It has been an amazing journey so far with learning Python programming. I am enjoying this learning process a lot. Also, I would like to mentioned that Charles Severance has been teaching the subject in really an interactive way where he asks to pause the video to brainstorm on certain problem and then come back to the video where he explains the solution in a step by step way. Thanks Coursera and University of Michigan for giving me this opportunity to do this course and giving me the financial aid.

By Hariharan S

Sep 15, 2019

It was a fantastic learning experience. This is apparently my first online course on Coursera and what a way to start with Dr. Chuck's class. He was fantastic, always interesting and never boring/distracting even for a bit. The way he handled the lectures was definitely a testament to how experienced he is, in handling first-time programmers/learners of a new language/script. I am sure I would take a lot of courses in the future. Already looking forward to my next one, as I write this review. Cheers!

By Robert C

Jul 24, 2019

This course is terrific for beginners. I have never programmed anything in my life, but the instruction was great and definitely suited for someone who has never had exposure to Python (or programming, more generally speaking). Thumbs up to Dr. Chuck for creating a terrific learning experience (great videos, web content, even a downloadable textbook). I wanted to learn Python, and deciding which Python course to take on Coursera was difficult, but I have no regrets about enrolling in this course.

By Azmat J

Dec 01, 2018

Great work done by the instructor Doctor Charles Severance, Thank You!

It is the best course of the beginners who want to start learning python, it covers basic condition, function, loops and iteration , material are very easy, teacher explained each and every topic in an easy way, easy to understand, exercise and quiz are easy to attempt all are according to the course contents. I will recommend to add more practice exercises. Overall it is the best course for the first step towards learning python.

By MICHAEL D S

Jan 17, 2019

This course is well-explained and detailed. The sections flow from one to another without issue. The final programming assignment requires the student to put the different pieces together and is more comprehensive than previous sections. Always try to diagram / flowchart your process to help you through this course. It is enjoyable once you're able to get through it. I would highly recommend this course for aspiring Python programmers. I'm sure it's more basic for those with programming experience.

By Helen S

Nov 12, 2017

I am a parent with programming experience with C++ and PHP. I take this course together with my 14 years old daughter. I wish her to learn Python and I am sort of safeguard her along the way. She has no prior experience with any computer language and programming. But she is doing fine. She has picked up Python language rules and overcome minor problem by herself. The course is very beginner friendly. I am now progressing into the next course: Python Data Structure, and my daughter is still with me.

By Fadl I

Oct 19, 2016

I would highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn Python from scratch. I was new to programming and this course has helped me think like a programmer. Even though I paused halfway through the course for a lengthy period, I was able to return to it and complete it successfully. I will be continuing on to do the second part of the course because the tutor has superior teaching skills. I've now started learning C programming through a weekly evening class and I'm finding it quite easy.

By OmegaNerdSupreme O

Dec 31, 2015

Melhor curso de todos. Pena que possuo uma internet péssima, que não tem a capacidade de carregar os vídeos. Sendo assim, não posso ter acesso as matérias educacionais. O coursera é um site muito bom, mas é dedicado apenas à usuários com internet rápida, e não dão valor à usuários com internet deficiente, como a minha. Por isso, gostaria que novas modificações possam ser realizadas no site, tendo a capacidade de oferecer qualidade nos vídeos mesmo para usuários com poucos recursos, como a internet.

By Dipesh P

Nov 23, 2019

This course does indeed open doors of python programming for everyone. For beginners, it is outstanding and not only for its content but also for the way its been taught. Dr. Charles Severance made the learning path so much easier and fun to go with. His passion for sharing the knowledge makes him connect effectively with all the new-comers. It almost felt as if I was being personally tutored by him.

I would highly recommend this to beginners who wants to get into python programming from scratch.

By Edward F

May 31, 2017

I took the Python Specialization, which included this course, so I'm going to provide the same review for each of the component courses.

I think this is an excellent course for beginning programmers. Python is a great language for someone starting out - easy to learn - with a lot of power available for more advanced projects (e.g., machine learning).

But, most of all, you have to love Dr. Serverance. I can't think of a more entertaining and enjoyable person to teach programming. Thanks, Dr. Chuck.

By Rafael Z

Mar 28, 2018

I already started with an educational book about python, it made me complete this course rather fast i think but i went over a lot of details which were not really explained in that book. So to learn the very basics this course is absolutely great. btw the book was this one and i still recommend it as well....(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593277954/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1593277954&linkCode=as2&tag=playwithpyth-20&linkId=18a80d666d24cc13bf52ff57fb72a632

By Rajashree C

Nov 04, 2015

This is THE best course for beginners. I love the way Dr. Chuck has taught Python programming. His lectures are very interesting and easy to understand and the entire course has been a lot of fun with all its quizzes and programming assignments. His book is as great as are his lectures.

I am looking forward to learning more about python through his courses. This is just the type of course that I was wanting to do for some time and I am lucky I found this through Coursera! Thank you Dr. Chuck!

By Sagar1032

Jan 11, 2017

This course laid the foundation for me in programing. I have learnt a lot from Dr. Chuck, Mentors and from my peers. Timely assistance from mentors and my peers helped me a lot in learning python. Textbook material plus classnotes provided by Dr.Chuck and his team further helps in learning. If anyone learning this course ,I recommend read textbook and class notes after watching the videos and then start with assignments. I am glad I took this course and highly recommend others to do the same.

By MURAMATSU

Nov 18, 2018

Though I run though the book for basic knowledge about how to write python code, I still wondered what meaning each code has and how each code actually work in computer program. This course helped me to understand that point. I will continuously study next modules and want to get able to utilize python for real job.

And also, I was impressed with system which shows text for teacher's explanation, sophisticated assignment system, and a lot of tips and tools.

Thanks a lot for meaningful course.

By Aron W

Jul 01, 2017

I've started three other courses on python and while none of them were bad, this one was the only one that I completed. I have a background in sql programming so syntax and operations weren't brand new, but I had always struggled diving into any more than basic data pulls. I was able to get through this course very quickly and at the end felt very comfortable that I could start solving problems in python. I'm looking forward to the rest of the courses in the Python for Everybody certificate.

By Aleksandra

Aug 07, 2016

A great introduction into fundamental concepts in Python. Dr. Chuck is a perfect teacher, funny, competent and engaging. You will watch the videos in no time! Also, the electronic version of the book is free and covers every problem you can possibly come across in this course. My recommendation: install Python on your computer immediately after enrolling and track the differences between Python 2 (course version) and Python 3. For example, instead of using "print x", you will use "print(x)".

By Ajayraj S

Jul 09, 2019

I'm very much thankful of Coursera and University of Michigan to let me opt this wonderful course. I highly recommend this course to each and every person wants to start learning programming. Because as python is best language to begin with, this course is best for begin learning python. Instructor Dr. Chuck ws the best mentor for me, he explains each and everything very nicely that everybody could understand. I'm so glad that I completed this course or had a chance to complete this course.

By Aniruddha C

May 26, 2018

This has to be one of the best beginner course of Python on the internet! The instructions given by Charles Severance were clear and concise. The videos never felt boring as each video prompted me to try different things in python to solve the problems shown in them. If given enough dedication and focus, one can complete this course within 2 weeks! I sincerely thank the Instructor, University of Michigan and Coursera for making it possible for foreign students to receive quality education.

By Dirk C

Mar 03, 2017

I loved every minute, thank you.

For me the fact that I could download the videos, watch them without Internet connectivity, complete the Quizzes and assignments on-line made this course stand out above others.

The content started from knowing nothing to more advanced at a slow pace in order for all to follow, this is great.

Paying monthly $49 made the specialization course affordable for me living in South Africa.

I thank you for the a great course, looking forward in completing the rest.

By RH

Nov 12, 2018

Very nicely designed starter for Python learners! I'm in finance and only got little programming background in Matlab and VBA, and this course helps me to know the basic structure of this programming language. Professor Chuck not only knows programming, but also knows how to teach the methodologies clearly to ordinary people. This Getting Started with Python gives me the confidence to deal with the future Python questions and I will continue with the next courses. Thank you, Dr. Chuck!

By Ella W

May 31, 2018

Honestly, this course is great for beginners. The instruction is explicit and clear and very structured. The textbook is very useful to understand the basics of programming language. I also like the assessment combining quizzes and hands-on exercise to get familiar with the coding process. Plus, the bonus part enhanced the connected learning and informal learning practice, and also increases the instructor presence. The pace is just right and the workload is perfect. Love this course!!

By Eleanor S

Feb 12, 2018

What a fantastic course! Every element is explained from the perspective of the way python processes the code, so you get a solid set of 'first principles' to work with.

The videos use excellent simple examples, which are then extended as the topics become more complex, so you get the sense of really building from the ground up. Chuck Severance is clearly a pedagogical master. How lucky we are to have access to his teaching from all over the world (Australia specifically, in my case)!