Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

SA
Aug 22, 2020

It was an awesome course , the instructor was very good at explaining it in a (hogward) like way .It was fun, i feel like anyone who doesn't have prior knowledge on programming can learn it with ease.

SK
Dec 26, 2019

Extremely basic but Dr. Chuck is so interesting that you never get bored. You can pass the course in a few days with minimum or even no programming knowledge. It's a good starting point for beginners.

451 - 475 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Robert C

Jul 24, 2019

This course is terrific for beginners. I have never programmed anything in my life, but the instruction was great and definitely suited for someone who has never had exposure to Python (or programming, more generally speaking). Thumbs up to Dr. Chuck for creating a terrific learning experience (great videos, web content, even a downloadable textbook). I wanted to learn Python, and deciding which Python course to take on Coursera was difficult, but I have no regrets about enrolling in this course.

By Azmat J

Dec 1, 2018

Great work done by the instructor Doctor Charles Severance, Thank You!

It is the best course of the beginners who want to start learning python, it covers basic condition, function, loops and iteration , material are very easy, teacher explained each and every topic in an easy way, easy to understand, exercise and quiz are easy to attempt all are according to the course contents. I will recommend to add more practice exercises. Overall it is the best course for the first step towards learning python.

By Alejandro R O

Aug 13, 2020

This course is ideal for people who has no prior programming experience. As the professor says himself, this is a course you should take before any introductory course in programming, as the professor guides you through the intuition and logic behind the core aspects of any programming language. The assignments can be challenging, but they are doable. If you want to have a first approach to programming while having no prior experience, this is a must to take. Plus, the professor is really engaging!

By Fadl I

Jun 17, 2020

I would highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn Python from scratch. I was new to programming and this course has helped me think like a programmer. Even though I paused halfway through the course for a lengthy period, I was able to return to it and complete it successfully. I will be continuing on to do the second part of the course because the tutor has superior teaching skills. I've now started learning C programming through a weekly evening class and I'm finding it quite easy.

By MICHAEL D S

Jan 17, 2019

This course is well-explained and detailed. The sections flow from one to another without issue. The final programming assignment requires the student to put the different pieces together and is more comprehensive than previous sections. Always try to diagram / flowchart your process to help you through this course. It is enjoyable once you're able to get through it. I would highly recommend this course for aspiring Python programmers. I'm sure it's more basic for those with programming experience.

By Helen S

Nov 11, 2017

I am a parent with programming experience with C++ and PHP. I take this course together with my 14 years old daughter. I wish her to learn Python and I am sort of safeguard her along the way. She has no prior experience with any computer language and programming. But she is doing fine. She has picked up Python language rules and overcome minor problem by herself. The course is very beginner friendly. I am now progressing into the next course: Python Data Structure, and my daughter is still with me.

By OmegaNerdSupreme O

Dec 31, 2015

Melhor curso de todos. Pena que possuo uma internet péssima, que não tem a capacidade de carregar os vídeos. Sendo assim, não posso ter acesso as matérias educacionais. O coursera é um site muito bom, mas é dedicado apenas à usuários com internet rápida, e não dão valor à usuários com internet deficiente, como a minha. Por isso, gostaria que novas modificações possam ser realizadas no site, tendo a capacidade de oferecer qualidade nos vídeos mesmo para usuários com poucos recursos, como a internet.

By Jorgeduardo D L

Jul 19, 2020

Taking this course was like hitting a fortunate reset button for me because I had already taken some programming courses at the National University of Colombia, but I didn't quite understand some details in the most basic structures. I am very happy with how I understand python now, but more importantly, I feel that there is a lot of fun in building code that I am really excited about going forward. Thanks a lot professor Chuck! , you are indeed one of those people changing the world for better :D

By zerayines l

Jul 5, 2020

it is very very super and lovely course i got and i ubgrade my knowlege using this course thanks!!

it is simple and best for those programers . it have different practice activities and also quize out of 10 which is good to test my understanding of the course. if i give soo much aprciation to this course ,i am happy but i am not efficient in english that is why i say this comment only. anyways python is my faborite subject after this i will learn different programs using python programing. thanks!!

By Nicolas P

Apr 22, 2020

I think the video where the professor uses the "cd", "pwd", and "-l ls" commands could use some brief explanation, because explanations for arguably more obvious things are provided in the lectures, yet these new commands are suddenly used in quick succession and could catch an absolute beginner off guard. At least that's how I remember it. Maybe there was a brief explanation there. If not, it could be accomplished via a pop-up textual comment, which would minimize the need to edit course content.

By Kirill S

Sep 14, 2020

I want to say that if you are interested in starting programming, but you are not sure what programming language you want to learn first, then you can learn basics of Python in this course. This course was recommended to me by my friend and I am glad that I took my time to complete it and it will surely help me in my future studies. The instructor is very good, his explanations are very clear. I don't think that I have encountered any problems during this course, so I am going to give it 5 stars.

By Dipesh P

Nov 23, 2019

This course does indeed open doors of python programming for everyone. For beginners, it is outstanding and not only for its content but also for the way its been taught. Dr. Charles Severance made the learning path so much easier and fun to go with. His passion for sharing the knowledge makes him connect effectively with all the new-comers. It almost felt as if I was being personally tutored by him.

I would highly recommend this to beginners who wants to get into python programming from scratch.

By Edward F

May 31, 2017

I took the Python Specialization, which included this course, so I'm going to provide the same review for each of the component courses.

I think this is an excellent course for beginning programmers. Python is a great language for someone starting out - easy to learn - with a lot of power available for more advanced projects (e.g., machine learning).

But, most of all, you have to love Dr. Serverance. I can't think of a more entertaining and enjoyable person to teach programming. Thanks, Dr. Chuck.

By Ajit P

Apr 18, 2020

Dear Sir, Thank you for teaching. I think we should include more exercises and peer review for actual programs (like done in second week)

The course overall was satisfactory and I think it gives us students confidence to go ahead and complete next courses. (i really needed to feel comfortable after first course since I have worked in sales, maintenance, application and product management of laboratory instruments for almost 10 years, so I don't really have a typical computer science background )

By Rafael Z

Mar 28, 2018

I already started with an educational book about python, it made me complete this course rather fast i think but i went over a lot of details which were not really explained in that book. So to learn the very basics this course is absolutely great. btw the book was this one and i still recommend it as well....(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1593277954/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1593277954&linkCode=as2&tag=playwithpyth-20&linkId=18a80d666d24cc13bf52ff57fb72a632

By Rajashree C

Nov 4, 2015

This is THE best course for beginners. I love the way Dr. Chuck has taught Python programming. His lectures are very interesting and easy to understand and the entire course has been a lot of fun with all its quizzes and programming assignments. His book is as great as are his lectures.

I am looking forward to learning more about python through his courses. This is just the type of course that I was wanting to do for some time and I am lucky I found this through Coursera! Thank you Dr. Chuck!

By Ricky A

Learned a lot about programming in Python, the mentor Dr. Severance put the lessons in such a way that they could be understood with ease, and I could design my code with no problems. The occasional humour is cheerful and creates a very natural-atmosphere like any other college class with your favourite teacher. The class also has a very motivational atmosphere too, Dr. Severance really develops a can-do attitude among students. Really considering enrolling in the second course of this series

By Sagar1032

Jan 11, 2017

This course laid the foundation for me in programing. I have learnt a lot from Dr. Chuck, Mentors and from my peers. Timely assistance from mentors and my peers helped me a lot in learning python. Textbook material plus classnotes provided by Dr.Chuck and his team further helps in learning. If anyone learning this course ,I recommend read textbook and class notes after watching the videos and then start with assignments. I am glad I took this course and highly recommend others to do the same.

By Vasilis D

Sep 15, 2020

This course was way better than I expected. For someone that wasn't a beginner, but hadn't touched programming for almost 5 years it was a nice way to get back in touch with essential concepts even if they were in a slightly different language than the one I knew. Very good structure, even though I believe functions should appear later than iteration, but anyway very good effort, amazing teaching and very detailed tutorials. I enjoyed the quizzes and exercises as well. Keep up the good work!

By MURAMATSU

Nov 18, 2018

Though I run though the book for basic knowledge about how to write python code, I still wondered what meaning each code has and how each code actually work in computer program. This course helped me to understand that point. I will continuously study next modules and want to get able to utilize python for real job.

And also, I was impressed with system which shows text for teacher's explanation, sophisticated assignment system, and a lot of tips and tools.

Thanks a lot for meaningful course.

By Aron W

Jul 1, 2017

I've started three other courses on python and while none of them were bad, this one was the only one that I completed. I have a background in sql programming so syntax and operations weren't brand new, but I had always struggled diving into any more than basic data pulls. I was able to get through this course very quickly and at the end felt very comfortable that I could start solving problems in python. I'm looking forward to the rest of the courses in the Python for Everybody certificate.

By Aleksandra

Aug 7, 2016

A great introduction into fundamental concepts in Python. Dr. Chuck is a perfect teacher, funny, competent and engaging. You will watch the videos in no time! Also, the electronic version of the book is free and covers every problem you can possibly come across in this course. My recommendation: install Python on your computer immediately after enrolling and track the differences between Python 2 (course version) and Python 3. For example, instead of using "print x", you will use "print(x)".

By Ajayraj S

Jul 8, 2019

I'm very much thankful of Coursera and University of Michigan to let me opt this wonderful course. I highly recommend this course to each and every person wants to start learning programming. Because as python is best language to begin with, this course is best for begin learning python. Instructor Dr. Chuck ws the best mentor for me, he explains each and everything very nicely that everybody could understand. I'm so glad that I completed this course or had a chance to complete this course.

By Aniruddha C

May 25, 2018

This has to be one of the best beginner course of Python on the internet! The instructions given by Charles Severance were clear and concise. The videos never felt boring as each video prompted me to try different things in python to solve the problems shown in them. If given enough dedication and focus, one can complete this course within 2 weeks! I sincerely thank the Instructor, University of Michigan and Coursera for making it possible for foreign students to receive quality education.

By AASHISH K

Oct 9, 2020

This course is an excellent introduction to the Python programming language. Not only is this an introductory course, but it teaches you almost all the basics that will help you start with simple programming problems with Python. The instructor really understands the way how students should be introduced to new concepts of Python. I loved going through this course and learning Python. With all the practice assignments and quizzes, I felt very comfortable because I understood what I learnt.