Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)

LZ

Sep 04, 2016

The professor's lecture is so awesome, however, the content is adjust to the new programming learners. I heared extended part of the course is charged, you can purchased it if you want deeper learning

DJ

Oct 20, 2017

Dr. Chuck has a special ability to teach programming to people who doesn't necessarily have programming background. This is rare among programming teachers, and shows that he is an excellent educator.

26 - 50 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Connor B

Aug 06, 2017

I got a 95% and maybe I learned something but I can honestly say it wasn't because I watched the videos - the professor is seriously disconnected. Programming for "Everybody"? I know what I want to do with programming, but all the examples and small programs you write in this course give you no idea of what of someone outside science and math will ever use programming for.

By Jan H H

Jul 26, 2019

Good systematic course for beginners - although for real beginners some parts may be quite a bit too geeky, the promise that even if you don't know much about computers you will still be able to follow the course doesn't convince me. If you had some experience with programming, go at your own speed with the course materials and you will be able to finish within a couple of hours - I finished the whole seven weeks in two days, not working on it full time and watching all the videos, which is not really necessary. Some of the examples don't seem to make much practical sense, which would be good for motivation, but they serve their purpose to understand syntax and structure. Some have errors, which is surprising given the huge audience that can help to correct them. There are extra materials about hard- and software developers that are not really connected.

By Steve M

Oct 20, 2015

We tried to use this class to teach a brown bag lunch for our employees interested in programming. Python is a great language but this class has a very low content to volume ratio (nobody wants to watch the instructor meet his life-time idol at a trade-show or watch the Intel versus AMD melt-down commercials over their lunch break).

By Frederick U G

Jan 08, 2018

Tan solo auditar este curso me ayudó bastante en el aprendizaje de este lenguage de programación. A penas ahorre el dinero compraré el resto de cursos para seguir adelante. Gracias Charles Severance!!

By Nimit R

Aug 19, 2018

Very well explained the concepts of programming in the context of Python and that too with good fun. Love you Chuck

By Cyntia R T G

Mar 28, 2019

Two weeks of all sort of nonsense, including macarena, Harry Potter, sorting hat, videos of meaningless travels and lots of self-promotion. Pure crap that doesn´t worth anybody´s time. When theory started on week 3 it was confusing, boring and as time is life I decided to quit. It shocked me that a serious university like University of Michigan has a clown on its payroll.

By Tony F

Mar 22, 2019

This class served as not only my introduction to Python, but to programming in general. For whatever reason, programming can seem like a daunting task to people, including me. However, Professor Severance had a casual, yet confident attitude that made each week feel like an approachable game that happens to be very useful. I didn't expect to have a great time watching the lectures, but I did. Obviously, I'm not very advanced yet with programming, but it seemed to me Professor Severance was great at anticipating faulty habits or inclinations and nipping those in the bud for us beginners. He has well-constructed examples to explain his points without making them overly complex. In short, I think the title of the course is apt; it does a good job at making Python understood by everybody who is interested to learn. Thanks for the solid foundation!

By Lisa S

Mar 07, 2020

Excellent starting point course. Very easy to follow and understand. Terrific instructor who explains things well, is never dull and is easy to listen to. The "office hours" videos seemed a little unnecessary. I'm not sure what the point of those was. I found this course quite easy, probably because I have a B. Sc. in Computer Science, although that was a while ago. I really liked learning how to install and use Atom (Atom Nightly for Mac was the one that worked... search for Apple support note about that -- regular Atom will not download), Python and Terminal, none of which I was familiar with before. Great job! I will take more courses in this specialization for sure !

By Liu W

Oct 16, 2019

Incredible course!!! 1. Python is so complicated but the course is simple (maybe just at the beginning, for people like me with thin mathematics foundation and no knowledge of programming at all!) 2. The logic of the course is very clear and simple to understand 3. The arrangement is not so tight, therefore is friendly to people who have full-time job like me! 4. Coursera is incredible!!! See you in the next course!

By Lorilyn M

Mar 09, 2019

I love the teaching style of Dr. Severance!! I've tried so many other tutorials online but his class is by far my favorite. He helps cement connections by use of metaphors and visual aids and as a student who has traditionally favored subjects such as language arts, it has been invaluable to my learning experience!!

By Nikhitha N B

Oct 17, 2019

I have gone through plenty of materials for python and also did few data science courses.But I regret taking this course at the first place.Dr Severance’s lectures are very neat and easy to understand.I never understood basics so well before :)

I am very grateful to be a part of this specialisation

By Yvonne V

Mar 06, 2019

I am an absolute beginner to programming. I find this course a clearly instructed one for beginners. The course design is pragmatically useful because you need to practice by yourself, going through videos and books, in order to pass all the assignments. It is worth it in the end!

By Sergio P

Mar 24, 2020

I had not programmed in years. I took this course and in less than a week, I was reliving my youth in my programming years. I guess it's kind of like riding a bike. You never forget. But having a good class like this one as a refresher sure makes it easier.

By Miranda E

Mar 08, 2019

I really liked Dr Severance. He kept my interest and didn't drone on about things....had a great personality and didn't assume you knew everything he has learned throughout his entire career. He has made me want to take the entire specialization. Great Job!

By Андрей П

Feb 03, 2020

Hi, sorry for my English. I'm learner from Russia and i'm already know python basics so i want to learn english programming stuff. It's very interesting and simple to understand for beginners, but for me i want more complex task. Thanks for course.

By Samantha R

Mar 07, 2019

Excellent course! The videos are great and the exercises push you. Very good course to get into the basics. The material is made available which is great to use as a reference for afterward. By far the best online course for beginners.

By Demetrius l

Mar 07, 2019

Course explains everything in a well defined manner and it's so easy to understand but challenging enough to have you think on your own. Very impressive. Hope there are more courses like this for more advanced subjects.

By Aditya K

Nov 13, 2019

It is a well-paced course that is enticing for those who are just delving into programming as a subject and to the veterans out there looking for a quick introduction to Python and its coherent simplicity and power.

By Sonu K

Dec 27, 2019

Extremely basic but Dr. Chuck is so interesting that you never get bored. You can pass the course in a few days with minimum or even no programming knowledge. It's a good starting point for beginners.

By Githanjali V

Sep 29, 2019

Extremely well laid out curriculum, to the point videos and excellent book. Built my confidence level to clear the course. Thanks Dr.Chuck for all the hard work and diligence to support the community.

By David R J

Nov 05, 2018

I loved it! Dr. Chuck is extraordinary in his explanations. A great way to start on Python programming. As a person that hasn't programmed in years it was an encouraging and educational experience :-)

By Daniel A J

Oct 20, 2017

By Kseniia G

Jan 26, 2016

A really simple and what is the most important a clear course.

Really hope that next sessions are created in the same manner.

Will highly recommend to anyone who decides to start studying Python

By David F

Feb 28, 2019

Fantastic course, I really enjoyed learning the fundamentals of Python. The professor has a great delivery and the lectures are really enjoyable. The exercises were a fun challenge, too.

By Atul B

May 17, 2019

I am very happy as I started my career with programming after couple of years experience in different stream. Python course prepared in an efficient manner, which can understand by any