Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

KK

Jun 27, 2020

Great introduction to Python and programming as a whole. Everything is broken down making it easy to understand. Had zero programming experience before and this class made it easy and fun to get into.

TL

Jan 03, 2018

Thank you. It was a worthwhile course. Entertaining as well. I just wish that there were more sample homework before the exercises so students could see how the lessons are applied to actual problems.

276 - 300 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Manvendra S T

Jun 14, 2020

I have completed this course within 4 days and I had no prior knowledge of programming language.

and also I do not belong to a programming or computer science stream in my college. My subjects are PCM still I am learning python because I am highly interested in learning new thing about computer and one day I came to know about programming language then I searched on google and came to know that python is easy and so helpful and friendly language to learn that's why I started learning Python and also my aim is to become a teacher and I want to teach python.

This course is really so amazing because Dr chuck has treated so friendly.

Just go for this course.

By Raian S

Aug 19, 2020

This Course is highly recommended for the beginner who wants to learn programming language, specially Python. If anyone is delegated, it will take only 1.5 or 2 weeks to complete. I specially want to mention the Instructor Dr. Chuck, he is from School of Information, University of Michigan and knows how to teach a beginner level students who don't know anything about programming. Moreover, I want to mention another thing that this course is just part 1 and covered chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. So, anyone want to complete this course just enroll Specialization "Python for Everybody" which is included 5 courses. Happy Learning !

By David L C

Jun 28, 2020

Anonymous completed this course.

Doctor Charles Severance is an excellent teacher: he explains programming concepts in a friendly way, references on other parts of programming in a way, that you forget why writing code can be sometimes annoying, (when there is syntax errors, or tracebacks, or in the old days with c++ when the program didn´t compile)., has the ability of binding python with computer history, and has interesting optional videos...

I am really happy to have chosen this course, above other options for diving into Python.

Congratulations, Dr. Severance,,, keep up your brilliant labor as a teacher

# Anonymous == Camilo Ceballos Sierra

By Harsh B

Mar 05, 2018

Wow. the professor is so amazing and makes us immersed into the programming world. I knew much of this course as i knew the basic of C language already. But python was a new language and had many doubts or vague concepts before this course. But Charles cleared all my queries and refreshed every concept. I feel that I am not going to forget all these things for sure as the conceopt got invoked in my brains to last forever. Thank you very much Charles and I highly recommended this course for gteeting a basic knowledge about python. A six out of five course for sure. This course really made me to move ahead with other courses in this specialization.

By P P K

Aug 15, 2020

I'm a Mechanical engineering student and when I came to know that I need to learn programming for better opportunities but I used to hate these as well. But choosing python and especially choosing this course helped me a lot to take out my fear of programming . Instructor Charles Russell Severance is extremely amazing in simplifying those programming language into human language. Well explained and well presented. Though it was not one to one interaction but they way he brought the knowledge and fun together is appreciable.Best course with best instructor also I want to thank Coursera and University of Michigan for providing this course.

By RAVI S

Apr 25, 2020

I am a naive programmer. I had been exposed to academic level Matlab programming only. So, I was very afraid of programming and I always looked for an easy mode of escape from programming. as Python programming language is very user friendly , I decided to start from here.Literally this was my first ever programming class. Thanks to our Dear Prof. Chuck that i feel confident about programming in Python. I have known that i do not need very in depth programming language as in our domain of application it would not be required. But now i am thinking of taking whole specialization. Last, but not the least,Thanks coursera for Financial AId.

By Kevin P

Dec 23, 2018

I have successfully completed Python for everybody course on Coursera. I learnt basics of python for project. It is a very good start for beginner to enter in modern programming language. Python is very simple and easy programming language, anybody can learn this. And coursera course on this topic is perfect for good start. I would like to thanks professor Charles Severance for teaching us python in as simple as possible. I really enjoyed this course with Prof. Charles , specially his way of giving examples and funny way to teach.

I have completed course in 7-days free trial period. Thank you Coursera for this course available to us.

By Margie L

Aug 24, 2018

Dr. Chuck is an amazing instructor who rollouts all the content in an very well structured order, with his own passionate and encouraging style. Throughout the course you can feel that he really cares about your progress. He knows exactly where you may feel frustrated and need to elaborate on. With his lively interpretation, I even felt less rejected when encountered errors :) I am from business background and never known anything about programming before, but Dr. Chuck easily grabbed my attention from the very beginning. I just couldn't put it down and completed in one week. Will continue with other courses under the specialization.

By Chris S

Jul 19, 2018

I would say this course is amazing, i really enjoyed this course also I learned a lot from prof. Charles. Before I enrolled in this course, I had half-year learning experience in Java, that's probably why sometimes I was very confused between these two, like construction of while loop and for loop were a little bit different. I think Prof. Charles is pretty funny, and his demonstration is pretty clear and concise. I am just wondering if he could spend more time and examples to illustrate the similarity between python and other programming languages, and difference like applications, that would be better. Anyway, i enjoyed this course!

By Dr S K

Nov 22, 2018

Dr Severance is a gifted teacher. I enjoy all the videos and educational resources very much. I have rarely come across such a charismatic lecturer and mentor and I have over 18 degrees and have studied extensively in many UK and US universitties including Harvard. Dr Severance is indeed the best teacher I have had so far. I am looking forward to the rest of the online classes. Every day after a hard day's work, I enjoy watching the videos and doing the programming tasks. These are excellent classes, very thorough explanations, and to the point. Well done to all the team at the University of Michigan, but especially to Dr Severance.

By Rajatha S

Sep 09, 2019

I really loved the way this course is organized. All the topics are explained sequentially and none of the basic topic is skipped. Most of the video lectures had programming explanations which helped me to understand better. Although the course covers most important and initial topics, i suggest to have more advanced topics and complex assignments. It is advised to have the code samples and psuedo codes attached in the content so that we can take the reference of it when needed. Overall i would say this course is well suited for beginners in Python and also who are novice in programming. Looking forward to learn more from Coursera.

By Asrar A

Apr 10, 2020

Prof. Charles Severance, OMG he is just an extraordinary teacher, especially the patience and great sense of humor with which he engages students in learning experience, he delivered the course at a truly understandable way for Everyone on the Earth doing justice to the title of course (Programming for Everybody)... I just loved the course, that is the reason, i could finish it in just 3-4 days spending maximum time due to staying at home in view of COVID 19 lock down at India...

Once again big thank you to Prof Charles Severance and his entire team and all those fascinating videos of his visits to various places he had been to...

By Marek O

Jun 02, 2017

Before that course I tried to learn python on youtube and on another site that provide learning online platroform, but they leave me with many, many questions unanswered.

This course answered them all. (i.e. What is the difference between "=" and "==", and why is it so important? or Do I have to use "space" and "tab" on keyboard? or What is the difference between try/except and if/else, isn't it the same?, Why "elif", huh? and many, many, many more. )

The best programming introduction I can imagine. Dr Chuck and his lectures are great, especially when explaining differences between human thinking and computer thinking.

Thank You!

By Aviral C

Aug 15, 2020

I am so excited that i have decided to embark on the journey of learning Python! One of the most common questions we receive from our readers is “What’s the best way to learn Python?”

I believe that the first step in learning any programming language is making sure that you understand how to learn. Learning how to learn is arguably the most critical skill involved in computer programming.

Why is knowing how to learn so important? The answer is simple: as languages evolve, libraries are created, and tools are upgraded. Knowing how to learn will be essential to keeping up with these changes and becoming a successful programmer.

By Argunova E

Sep 15, 2019

Это мой первый онлайн курс в жизни, рада что взяла этот курс на Курсере. Спасибо за этот курс. Отличный преподаватель, прекрасное объяснение, интересные задания. В этом курсе вся информация идет в нужной последовательность, поэтому я не разу не запуталась и отлично усвоила материал. Хотя мой английский язык среднего уровня, мне удалось все понять и выполнить)

This curs is first online curs for me. I'm very glad that I take it. Thanks for curs. Teacher is fine, perfectly reasoning, interesting assignment. All information go in rite sequence, I don't wander. Althougth my english is not very well, I may understend and execute.

By Swarupa I

Jul 17, 2020

I had done a project using python language before this class , but had not learnt it very well. Through the 'Python for Everybody 'course on Coursers by Professor Chuck ,i have learnt basics of python and really enjoyed coding. Being a Mechanical engineer i was difficult to start coding but the course helped me build interest and work upon the assignments with lots of motivation and willingness .I am very much interested to continue learning through the next course on 'Python data structures'I want to thank Professor Chuck , Coursera team and University of Michigan for making such a wonderful course available.Best Regards

By Vivian L

Apr 03, 2020

I felt the way Dr. Chuck structured his teaching videos allowed me to keep focus and not get bored. Dr. Chuck explained the concepts very well! I'm really glad I took this course! I felt doing the assignments really cemented the concepts. The video interviews with the experts were really interesting to watch and how Python grew over the years. The quizzes were not hard. I had taken a C++ course 20 years ago and was not so great at it, now I feel I more confident in programming. It's all very interesting as I can use what I learned in my work place. I've told my coworkers to take this course, definitely worth it.

By jiarong s

Nov 10, 2017

Love the way Professor is teaching. I am a beginner in programming, so basically I know nothing in this field. But the way professor explains things and the way he introduces programming and python just makes me even more interested in programming. Now, after finishing week 1 material, I am so excited to continue learning this stuff. I was very nervous and stressed about learning programming, but professor just makes me much more relaxed and confident to learn. Thank you so much! I am so grateful that I find this course! This is the perfect start for me. I appreciate all the efforts and time you have put in this class.

By Badal K S

May 02, 2020

This course provides you the knowledge of Python from the very basics which is a great thing as I didn't have any coding background. It was amazing to have a great teacher as Charles Severance who made the pieces of stuff easier to understand and quite enjoyable especially while he was describing his hat. Really it was my pleasure to have this course, now I am able to relate to programming in Python and get to the basics of the different terminologies in Python. Overall, I enjoy and learnt different stuff around in this course and had a great time on this course Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python).

By varunendra m

Sep 08, 2017

It was a very nice course, Dr chuck Engages you in class very well.I am not from CS background I was an Aircraft mechanic but still i will say : This course teaches you not only very basics of Python But you will know many other programming stuffs as well, Say it as good practices of programming .I completed this course from Coursera And l was planing go to the site py4e.com to get a advanced knowledge of python.But I found other related courses as well so I will stick back to CourseraOnce again Thanks Dr. Chuck,Its hard for me to pay now for the whole Specialization Yee I will love to get a free certificate ;-)

By Suryatapa S

Sep 28, 2020

It was an awesome course. It covered all concepts in python from basics. They provided assignments, quiz,and many more . I had some prior knowledge in Python but this course helped in a quite good revision of the topics before the placement and helped a lot. It provided all information about if ,if else, loops,def ,try except. There were some topics which i could easily gasp well as the teacher explained with some real life scenario and examples of real life people ,completely different from the books. Some bonus videos were also provided, they were fun to watch and refreshed for some time being...Thanks a lot.

By Adam B

Jun 23, 2018

Great introductory course. Walks you through installing the software and using it, or you can use their browser based Python Playground if you don't want to deal with that.It's very basic. You won't be able to do much after this course, but you will have a good foundation and want to learn more.Time requirement is reasonable. I completed it in about 20 hours across two weeks, and that included getting Python set up on a PC and a Mac and learning how to Git and Github so I could keep my files updated across both of them.Definitely do use the recommended atom.io text editor. It's great, especially if you use Git.

By Ivan S

Apr 26, 2018

It's really wonderful course! This course gives a good start in Python. I really recomend you to take it. I enjoyed it, it wasn't boring. Dr. Chuck did a great job and I really thankful for this. I recommend it to people who don't know how to start with programming. The way it was explained it's really easy to understanding. Even if your English not really good (like mine), you can try it. Once you completed this course, you will have an eager to complete a specialization. Anyway you shouldn't stop only on fundamentals of programming but keep going to make something more complex and interesting. Thanks a lot!

By Aida M B

Jul 28, 2020

Un curso excelente, fácil de seguir gracias a las explicaciones tan didácticas y cómodas (código de colores, orden...). Te hace ver desde un primer momento que la programación se basa en el razonamiento lógico, por lo que ha roto con el estereotipo que yo tenía de "ordenadores = aburrido" y el curso me ha interesado cada semana más. Lo recomiendo a todo el mundo!! Me parece que las explicaciones llevan el ritmo ideal para captar la atención de alumnos novatos en el ámbito. Personalmente me ha motivado mucho el contenido y la manera de evaluar, y voy a continuar los siguientes cursos de Python for Everybody.

By Rochelle M S

Jun 14, 2020

Very nice lecture and helpful exercises. If you're new to Python, this is the best course to start with. The basics were properly discussed and Dr. Charles Severance was able to discussed the topic clearly and with enthusiasm. Even if you don’t have much background on programming, you can easily catch up with these lectures. The topics were also divided into several parts, so you can easily pause for a while and then continue whenever you want. But all in all, this is one of the best lectures I had. I'm glad I have taken this course. Will continue to enroll in the next class which is about data structures.