Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

DJ

Nov 05, 2018

I loved it! Dr. Chuck is extraordinary in his explanations. A great way to start on Python programming. As a person that hasn't programmed in years it was an encouraging and educational experience :-)

KG

Jan 26, 2016

A really simple and what is the most important a clear course.\n\nReally hope that next sessions are created in the same manner.\n\nWill highly recommend to anyone who decides to start studying Python

326 - 350 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Kartik J

Jan 23, 2016

I really had good time learning this course. And this course instructor Charles Severance gave amazing details and intro towards programming, many lecturers just go with direct definitions and concepts present in some textbook but don't go with simplicity. Many new students need something that is simple and clear so I think sir Charles is best in doing that and hes my favourite lecturer now. If the courses are this fun and interesting I wouldn't mind paying for it.

By Xinnan W

Mar 13, 2020

I really enjoy the design of Coursera and appreciate the materials provided by University of Michigan. This is the beginning of Python, but it motivates me to want to learn more about this skill. Video lectures are easy to follow up--they come with subtitle of different languages. The third party python tool is quite useful for you to do exercise and get insight of how to get familiar with this intelligent programming tool. I'm looking forward to keep studying it!

By 姜媛溪

Dec 19, 2017

I highly recommend this course for those people who has basically no coding experience. I took some programming course like financial computation using MATLAB in college, but I did learn it well and that was not a happy experience. But this course, you can learn everything about python from a very beginning level. If you watch the lecture video carefully, you can finish the assignment easily. In the meanwhile, you start your very first step to become a programmer.

By Christopher T

Nov 11, 2017

This was an excellent course. It's easy to understand and all the tools are provided by Dr. Chuck and his excellent staff of TAs and mentors. I like Dr. Chuck's style of teaching, and his belief that everyone should learn to code in a computer language in our modern world is a worthy goal. I highly recommend this course both to experienced programmers who want to learn Python and to novices who want to learn programming (though it's better suited for the latter).

By Olivier H

Feb 28, 2020

I wrote zillions of lines of Fortran 30 years ago, did a bit of C++ 20 years ago just to understand what object programming was, and... that's it. So at the same time it was very basic for an experienced programmer but excellent pedagogy and ideal to get your environment installed and have a hand on the basic syntax. Some of the ways notions are introduced are excellent and I would have loved to have a similar course on Fortran when I started. Congratulations...

By Md J A

Feb 26, 2017

One of the best programming courses to get started. Python should be the #1 choice for anyone who's willing to kick start their journey to programming. Plus, Dr. Chuck is an amazing instructor. He takes his time to explain the material well. The lectures are easy to follow but the assignments might seem a bit challenging some times. However, the assignments are not impossible and if you try you'll definitely will be able to do it. I highly recommend this course.

By Brett S

Sep 02, 2018

I was encouraged to take this course as an introduction to the world of programming. I am a novice programmer who has no formal training. This course was both fun and engaging. While challenging at times, generally any feedback I needed had already been discussed on the discussion boards. A simple search for the error you encounter should help you to independently debug your script and develop the flow of execution described in the prompt for each assignment.

By Navneet K

Mar 18, 2020

Full marks to the instructor Dr. Chuck. The course was very well designed and the way Dr. chuck communicated and gave examples, it all made great logic and instilled confidence in me. Not to forget, I have been a very bad programmer since school and did not have much knowledge and confidence before this course. But now I feel much comfortable in learning further and other programming languages as well. Thank you so much Coursera and Dr. Chuck for the course.

By Anastassios K

Dec 28, 2018

The way professor Severance teaches and transits the subject is exceptional and makes the course too easy for anyone who wants to learn.

The course itself, for a complete naive like me, had very good pace and at the end I found it very easy.

By reading the accompanied book you have more details and it’s essential to read it also and solve the exercises and not just see the videos in Coursera.

It was a very good first step for me in the Python language. Thanks!

By Dhruv G

Oct 07, 2019

This is a great course. The teacher not only knows his material, but has a lot of experience working with first time programmers and so knows what errors they are likely to make and what questions they are likely to ask and addresses them all. He is fun to listen to, unlike some moocs I have taken where the teachers were reading and got the intonation all wrong--very distracting. This one wasn't like that by far. He was interesting and even funny at times.

By Omatsola C D I

Sep 19, 2019

During the first assignment, I was taken aback by being given something to solve that was a bit more advanced than what had been learned up to that point, but this was great, because it gave me time to try a couple of things, to see what works, and what doesn't. Felt a bit sad when I struggled, but when I finally succeeded I felt great, and confident in solving related problems. It is really great to learn by making mistakes and trying to figure stuff out.

By David A M

Mar 31, 2018

This class was very well done. I really enjoyed Dr. Chuck's explanations and the way the class flowed. I do wish it covered a bit more at a slightly accelerated rate. However, this may be because I'm used to the usual college class intensity. With that said, I don't have any complaints. I feel like I learned a lot of useful information . I believe this class has laid a good foundation for what is to come. I would strongly recommend this class to others.

By Aditya K

Oct 08, 2017

This course offers a good exposure to the fundamentals of Python for the non-programmers.

The instructor is engaging and delivers the material in a crisp manner.

The only part of the course that can be improved is the length of lectures.

Many lectures are longer than 6 mins and most cross the 10 min barrier. They can be broken down into smaller lectures , but the engaging presentation by the instructor ensures that no boredom seeps in at any point in time.

By Brandon B

Jan 10, 2016

Great course for new and experienced programmers alike looking to add Python to their toolbelt. If you're a self-taught programmer, the course can provides you with some basic vocabulary about programming idioms that you may not have had the words for previously. The professor was also quite charming, frequently using humour to lighten the subject matter. I do recommend this course for people that are either new to programming or programming with Python.

By Jose I J

Jan 02, 2018

Great course! I had 11 years with no programming activities, I was a developer for Delphy & PowerBuilder 11 years back but Python seems to be quite interesting to learn out. This course is great for people that have little experience on programming languages, but it was great for me as 11 years is a lot time, now I want to learn web / digital programming languages and I'll continue studying other Python courses in coursera for sure!!!!. Thanks a million

By Sundari E

Mar 25, 2016

Dear Chuck,

Can I call you Chuck? Anyway Sir, you are AWESOME!! If I become a programmer in my life, you'll be the only reason for it. You simply are great. I wish I had more teachers like you. I also wish I could meet you and tell you in person, that you are the personification of pure awesomness.

Yours truly,

A student who absolutely loves you and is eternally grateful to you from the other part of the world :)

Keep being awesome!!

By Sebastian C

Jan 17, 2017

This is a great course for those with no programming experience, especially since it involves python. I recommend to anyone with no experience that they start with python because the syntax is easy to learn and it is as close to psuedo-code used to develop algorithms as it comes. Although I have years of experience with python in my undergraduate and graduate research, I respect the teaching quality and attention to detail used throughout this course.

By Ed D

Nov 21, 2016

This has been one of the best educational experience I have had and I have had some, Ph.D., MBA. The best part about this course is that it is impeccably organized and possess timely help to students in need of assistance. This course should be used as the “gold standard” for teaching, whether online or in the classroom. I send my congratulations to all that have been and are now involved with overseeing the success of this wonderful achievement.

By Andrés E M

Dec 23, 2015

It is the first course I have successfully completed on Coursera. I had a vague background in programming from my undergraduate studies in Engineering, but I have always wanted to learn more. I have found this Course to be the right place so far. I think it’s oriented to anybody who wants to learn to program in general with no specific background and that definitely has been ideal for me. I am continuing with the next course, let’s see how it goes...

By Natalia I

Jan 16, 2018

Great book, fun course. I mainly read chapters of a book instead of watching videos, then did tests and exercises. However, slides were very useful for refreshing before starting a new chapter or just to have a look at key points summarized. I am very thankful to the authors, who made learning my first programming language non-frustrating. I really got addicted to it. I admire the comparison of Python to a dog who doesn't understand what you want fr

By Michael H

May 01, 2017

Amazing intro to programming class. I'm consulting with a tech startup and wanted to have better conversations with my developers. This is a great class to learn the "theory" of programming. I started taking an HTML, CSS and Javs Script class about half way through (chapter 4), because I need some piratical application. However, this course gave me the foundation. It's good to get error msgs!!! Looking forward to taking the rest of the series!

By Bogdan B

Nov 03, 2016

Outstanding introduction to Python programming language that will lay strong foundation to the more advanced topics about Python. The teaching style is superb and the things you learn stick in the long term memory really quickly. You need, however, to put additional effort on your side in order to truly "get" what's going on and learn and program as much as you can, as doing is really learning. Excellent, excellent course, teacher and the community.

By Jack M

Jan 14, 2020

Excellent Course! This course really gives someone the foundation of python coding and gives yourself early confidence in learning this skill to continue to take on new challenges in working towards being an expert. You will not come away with building any major project from this class, but it will definitely give you the foundation in getting to build that next level of this skill. If you are an aggressive learner you can complete within 2 weeks.

By Kush S

Apr 27, 2019

This is the perfect course for someone who is a beginner. I understood the logic and made it simple to remember how to program. The instructor and lessons are understandable and fun to learn and I can say I actually learned how to program. I came from zero python knowledge and was very pleased with what I acquired over this course. Additionally, the professor is very personable and about the course material and the delivery method. Thank you

By Hèlen G

Jan 22, 2016

Rating 5 stars for teaching style. When you are largely unfamiliar with programming it is important to not skip silly steps in explanation that might seem obvious. The information was very compact with made it easily digestible and encouraging to continue to the next level. The exercises increased nicely in complexity without sudden jumps in knowledge so that it would not give the impression that you are stuck forever in the pit hole of doom ;-)