Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

SV

Sep 09, 2020

Course was very intresting and interactive. And also looking forward to start python data structure course. Charles sir was teaching perfectly and his lecture content was also very helpful.Thank you!!

DJ

Oct 20, 2017

Dr. Chuck has a special ability to teach programming to people who doesn't necessarily have programming background. This is rare among programming teachers, and shows that he is an excellent educator.

351 - 375 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Jason B

Jun 23, 2016

I think the textbook does a great job of explaining things very well. I did not watch any videos so can not comment on them as supplements to the textbook. However, after taking this course, I do feel like I have a good foundation for learning Python and code in general.

My only criticism is that the course still uses an older version of Python which has some differences and can make the learning frustrating if you are not aware of those differences. Granted, with a free textbook for an older version this is a minor issue thus far in the series.

By Talitha S F

Jul 29, 2020

Muito bom o curso! O Dr. Chuck é ótimo, muito didático. Os vídeos complementares são incríveis, ensinaram muita coisa. Fazendo todos os exercícios e praticando no próprio computador dá pra fixar bem o que foi ensinado no curso e fazer aplicações, nem que sejam simples. Muito bom!

Very good course! Dr. Chuck is great, very didactic. The complementary videos are incredible, they taught a lot. Doing all the exercises and practicing on the computer, you can fix what was taught in the course and make applications, even if they are simple. Very good!

By Rhiddhi P D

Apr 14, 2020

really easy to do even for a 14 year old.

I really can't believe that I did this course in less than about 5 hours, and the course was of 7 weeks!

Actually somebody gave it to me as a challenge to complete this course in 2 days..... I did it in 5 hours.

If you provide me with a special achievement like a special certificate or something else for me as I did it so fast with 100% marks, then it'll be nice.. :-)

Thanks for providing me such a beautiful course. I'll be happy if you provide me with some other courses too as financial aid.

Thanks again🙂

By arman

Apr 21, 2020

Dr Charles is really a good teacher in Python. His presentation skills are encouraging for beginners like me in this particular language and it is also enjoyable. I was struggling to learn this language and have searched for several resources online but none of them were able to make me comprehend the basics of Python. I am happy that I have come across this course taught by Dr Charles. I have already completed the first one of the specialization and hoping to continue with the remaining ones which will help me gain valuable skills in Python.

By orobosa o

Oct 12, 2016

As annoying as the auto-grader was at times, I still enjoyed the course. The material was properly presented and curated which goes to say a lot of blood, tears and sweat was definitely put into the course. I highly recommend this course for beginning programmers and/ or more experienced programmers who many want to familiarize themselves with python syntax or get a refresher. A big thank you to the team and the initiatives behind this course most especially Professor Severance who has a unique style and engaging style of content delivering.

By Katherine E

Jul 31, 2018

Awesome instructor and lots of great resources to aid in understanding - such as discussion boards and assignments using the code grader tool. I really liked seeing the instructor interact with the slides. This helped my understanding the concepts. I do not have a programming background although I am in IT operations. The course was very accessible and I look forward to the remaining courses of Python for Everybody. I recommend it to anyone with no experience in programming looking to get started in Python. Thank you Dr. Chuck and Coursera!

By Divyanshu S

Apr 30, 2020

This course is just awesome. Dr.Chuck tries his best to make every concept clear and rememberable.

Absolutely this course is a beginner who wants to start the programming. If you are a beginner and have no prior about programming stuff, then the course is for you. Quizzes, assignments, and other exercises help you to understand things thoroughly. Believe me you are going to enjoy the whole lectures .Dr.Chuck has also added some other stuffs which makes this course more interesting. Thank you Dr.Chuck for creating 'Programming for everybody'.

By Gavin C

Nov 25, 2016

A really nice, gentle introduction to the basics of the Python language. I was already familiar with much of it from previous endeavours at learning to code, so managed to get through each week in about an evening's work, but it didn't 'feel right' to jump into the second course straight away. The last programming assignment caused a little bit of head scratching, and re-highlighted the need for careful, precise thinking when writing even short pieces of code. I've enjoyed this course and will be back for the Data Structures module soon :)

By Carlos A

Jul 12, 2020

Dicen que cuando quieres aprender a programar con ponerte a leer algún libro sobre el lenguaje que quieres aprender y practicar te ayuda pero este curso realmente te anima, te motiva te enseña de una manera divertida y que te mantiene con esa necesidad de querer saber mas, lo mas que había escrito antes del curso era un hola mundo y ahora después de curso entendí como hacer funciones hice algunas para mis ejercicios y sobre todo jamas pensé que programar fuera divertido, gracias por este curso y a todos los que hicieron que fuera posible!

By Emily L

Apr 28, 2020

I went into this course not having any previous experience with programming and finished it being able to write some basic code which was tremendously satisfying. The material was presented in a simple enough manner that no experience was needed to get started. While I'm guessing Spyder was not used for simplicity's sake, I would recommend it rather than running command prompt. It picks up on basic errors (like a missing parenthesis) which cuts down on the time you spend running the entire code and then having it fail for something silly.

By Mark P

Oct 23, 2019

Great starter course. Platform has some bugs loading videos and the code editor is very finicky to spaces and tabs even if you write it directly in the assignment editor provided. Best practice is to use your own editor, run the code in the command prompt like the instructor suggests, and then paste your code from atom or whatever into the assignment editor. Also, the discussion forums reply section is buggy and wrote my response vertically which was very strange and should get fixed. Otherwise good course and good pace for beginners.

By Timothy A C

May 10, 2016

Great course for a beginner. Instructor and student assistants make sure that you get the basics and (most important) grasp the concepts behind the code. This is very important because next to the keywords and syntax the most crucial thing to be learned is to start "thinking" like a programmer. How to break it down to the necessary incremental steps.

I personally like the combination of video lecture, on-line student notes and on-line lab. Getting Python installed locally is a breeze for Windows or Linux. Already enrolled in Course 2!!

By Hardik G

Jun 27, 2020

This is literally the best course for anyone who is starting with Python as a completely new programming language.It is super easy to flow and can be too easily learned by anyone who has zero background in programming and has tried it for the very first time.Prof. Chuck is the best professor in the lot.I haven't seen anyone do this good of a job.I swear on God he is literally the best teacher at the moment.I had tried my hand on a few Python courses previously but there is no one even close to Prof. Chuck .HE IS THE BEST,NO KIDDING!

By Brett K

Mar 26, 2020

I knew almost nothing about programming and now I know a little something! Starts out very easy, and gradually becomes challenging. Nothing too aggravating in the assignments, just don't be afraid to take your time, re-watch the lecture videos, read the chapter, and try to tackle the assignment again. I am preparing to go back to school for a Database Analyst certification at my local college, and I thought this would be a good way to get exposure to the types of languages I'm going to be seeing in the future. On to the next course!

By Adityavikram T

Jun 03, 2018

I'm already familiar with coding, in languages like C, C++ and Java. But starting from scratch for a new language like Python was cool. Prof. Chuck engaged the viewer quite effectively and i appreciate that. Solving periodic quizzes helped me be reassured that i knew what was being taught in the course. This course takes its due time to teach us various concepts in Python and in no place did i feel that something was rushed through without proper explanation. So all in all, it's a good course to start off one's journey in Python.

By Mustafa K

Nov 26, 2015

A very good content with additional inspiring interviews. Names on it, it is getting started course, it is giving foundations of Python. Because I have some programming background in Java, I have completed it in a week without skipping anything. Dr. Charles Severance makes his job very well and more importantly in very enjoying way :). I'm looking forward to taking next Python course from him. Last but not least, very thanks to Coursera for providing us accessing top class courses in free of charge. Best wishes for all from Turkey.

By Cristopher D G L

Dec 26, 2016

Great intro to Python. I've had some formal training in C++, MATLAB, and I completed the codecademy section of Python a while back. This was a nice re-introduction to Python, but more formal. The only complaint I have is with the grader. I had no issues running my programs from my terminal, but the grader kept giving me indentation issues. Not sure what the problem was, but it was a pain to deal with considering the code worked in other places. Aside from that the lectures are quick and helpful and the examples are helpful as well

By Saikat M

Sep 09, 2017

I'm very happy because of the way the whole session has made progress. It is easy to understand because of the way things were explained. You are an awesome teacher!!!

Just one little/tiny concern i.e. before explaining what is list, I saw the course started using list. If a little insight of list would have been provided in the course, it could have been a 100% complete course.But anyways, without that it's 99.99% satisfactory though. :)

Again, thanks for having this very helpful course to build Python base of the learners strong.

By Frank(Helen) E P

Jun 01, 2020

thus far, best programming class I have ever taken. Nice mix of humor, he explains what works and what doesn't, why and how to fix it. The programs are geared around at least something along the lines of real word problems. I also love that you are taught straight off how to install python and encouraged to do your assignments on your computer, but if not possible can do it just on the browser until you are ready to turn in, then just copy and paste your code. Another big plus is he introduces command line to get you used to it

By Joan M C

Jul 23, 2019

Good introduction to Python and programming. I learned the basics of 3 other languages in the 80's (FORTRAN, Pascal and elementary assembly language), so programming is not new for me. Since it has been so long since I have written a program I started with PY4E to dust off the cobwebs. the video lessons were clear and mildly entertaining - which made it fun to learn. The assignments and quizzes were purposeful, because they help clarify subtleties and encourage practice.

I am planning on taking the next course in the sequence.

By Matthew A

Aug 26, 2018

Great introductory course! I have very "rusty" experience with programming, but I am familiar with logic and computing terms. I feel like if you had very little "command line" experience in your past, you may need to learn a little before starting. But there is enough "walking through" it in this course that you will get it at least through literally doing exactly what's on the screen.

The instructor is awesome - great sense of humor, and teaches in a way that doesn't speak "down" to you, or too academic. I enjoyed this course.

By Mayur E R B

Aug 21, 2018

I am a programmer for more than 15 years, and took this initiative to learn Python.

Couldn't have chosen a better course to get started. Even though this course is for the beginners, it made me rethink some of the basic constructs of a language afresh.

I had learnt the other languages like C#, Java, JavaScript etc, in a very haphazard manner and as and when required.

This course presents a pleasantly new way of learning a new language. Thanks Dr Chuck, also for all those interesting bonus videos at the end of each chapter!

By PAULA A Q G

Feb 18, 2020

This is a great and useful course if you want to get started in the programming world. The information is well presented in the lectures as in the book, which has a kind reading. Now that I have learned the basics of programming and I am starting to know this language of Python, I feel more excited to learn more and more to achieve my purpose of working with artificial intelligence in the psychological area. There are many things to come and this course has everything to offer to get you excited about learning more and more.

By Alfredo H

Nov 18, 2017

Amazing and easy to understand. I really enjoyed the methodology and even laughed at some classes. The professor explains everything in a thorough manner, and the teaching staff is always out there to help you as well. It gets even easier to learn if you also try to answer your questions through other means: google, the Python website, the course textbook, etc. I did not have any previous knoledge on any programming language and I surely reccomend this course to anyone willing to learn their way through computer programming.

By Priya s k

Jul 11, 2019

For me the best thing about the course was Professor Chuck's approach towards teaching programming. Although, I have an engineering background, I had always avoided programming related jobs because my computer science teachers had instilled a fear of programming in me. On the contrary, Professor Chuck made learning python a fun experience which really helped me overcome my fear of programming. Thanks to this course, my confidence grew significantly and I was able to delve deeper into more advanced python programming topics.