Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

AK

Mar 29, 2018

Very good introduction to basic programming. Very easy for beginners in python who have already some programming background - but still extremely useful to quickly and efficiently learn python basics.

DJ

Nov 05, 2018

I loved it! Dr. Chuck is extraordinary in his explanations. A great way to start on Python programming. As a person that hasn't programmed in years it was an encouraging and educational experience :-)

401 - 425 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Dhruv G

Oct 07, 2019

This is a great course. The teacher not only knows his material, but has a lot of experience working with first time programmers and so knows what errors they are likely to make and what questions they are likely to ask and addresses them all. He is fun to listen to, unlike some moocs I have taken where the teachers were reading and got the intonation all wrong--very distracting. This one wasn't like that by far. He was interesting and even funny at times.

By Omatsola C D I

Sep 19, 2019

During the first assignment, I was taken aback by being given something to solve that was a bit more advanced than what had been learned up to that point, but this was great, because it gave me time to try a couple of things, to see what works, and what doesn't. Felt a bit sad when I struggled, but when I finally succeeded I felt great, and confident in solving related problems. It is really great to learn by making mistakes and trying to figure stuff out.

By David A M

Mar 31, 2018

This class was very well done. I really enjoyed Dr. Chuck's explanations and the way the class flowed. I do wish it covered a bit more at a slightly accelerated rate. However, this may be because I'm used to the usual college class intensity. With that said, I don't have any complaints. I feel like I learned a lot of useful information . I believe this class has laid a good foundation for what is to come. I would strongly recommend this class to others.

By Aditya K

Oct 08, 2017

This course offers a good exposure to the fundamentals of Python for the non-programmers.

The instructor is engaging and delivers the material in a crisp manner.

The only part of the course that can be improved is the length of lectures.

Many lectures are longer than 6 mins and most cross the 10 min barrier. They can be broken down into smaller lectures , but the engaging presentation by the instructor ensures that no boredom seeps in at any point in time.

By Brandon B

Jan 10, 2016

Great course for new and experienced programmers alike looking to add Python to their toolbelt. If you're a self-taught programmer, the course can provides you with some basic vocabulary about programming idioms that you may not have had the words for previously. The professor was also quite charming, frequently using humour to lighten the subject matter. I do recommend this course for people that are either new to programming or programming with Python.

By Suraj M

May 22, 2020

Hi this is Suraj,

It was a great experience learning python. I really loved the way the quiz were designed and also the course went on smoothly. Not everything was told in the video so I had to google things out to complete the assignments. Like how do I print all numbers in one single line while using a loop, and also how do I print something without giving a space. These basic things I feel were left on purpose to push the student to explore and learn.

By Jose I J

Jan 02, 2018

Great course! I had 11 years with no programming activities, I was a developer for Delphy & PowerBuilder 11 years back but Python seems to be quite interesting to learn out. This course is great for people that have little experience on programming languages, but it was great for me as 11 years is a lot time, now I want to learn web / digital programming languages and I'll continue studying other Python courses in coursera for sure!!!!. Thanks a million

By Romit T

May 15, 2020

This course is really awesome! Hands down to Dr. Chuck for his way of teaching. The best Python course you could find anywhere. And I come from the background where I have spent a lot of time searching for a good course for getting my Python basics cleared. This course has helped me get them clear.

Starting the next courses in the Py4e specialization right away!

Big thanks to Coursera and the University of Michigan for providing such a wonderful course!!

By Sundari E

Mar 25, 2016

Dear Chuck,

Can I call you Chuck? Anyway Sir, you are AWESOME!! If I become a programmer in my life, you'll be the only reason for it. You simply are great. I wish I had more teachers like you. I also wish I could meet you and tell you in person, that you are the personification of pure awesomness.

Yours truly,

A student who absolutely loves you and is eternally grateful to you from the other part of the world :)

Keep being awesome!!

By Jerin P J

Apr 20, 2020

This is the perfect course for anyone who wants to learn python. It not only teaches you the basics of python but also helps you very much in understanding the basics of programming.The instructor is a person of great knowledge and wisdom.The lecture videos are very interesting and helpful.The Coursera platform is also excellent. I truly recommend this course to anyone who wishes to learn python.Thank you Coursera and special thanks to the instructor

By Sebastian C

Jan 17, 2017

This is a great course for those with no programming experience, especially since it involves python. I recommend to anyone with no experience that they start with python because the syntax is easy to learn and it is as close to psuedo-code used to develop algorithms as it comes. Although I have years of experience with python in my undergraduate and graduate research, I respect the teaching quality and attention to detail used throughout this course.

By Ed D

Nov 21, 2016

This has been one of the best educational experience I have had and I have had some, Ph.D., MBA. The best part about this course is that it is impeccably organized and possess timely help to students in need of assistance. This course should be used as the “gold standard” for teaching, whether online or in the classroom. I send my congratulations to all that have been and are now involved with overseeing the success of this wonderful achievement.

By Andrés E M

Dec 23, 2015

It is the first course I have successfully completed on Coursera. I had a vague background in programming from my undergraduate studies in Engineering, but I have always wanted to learn more. I have found this Course to be the right place so far. I think it’s oriented to anybody who wants to learn to program in general with no specific background and that definitely has been ideal for me. I am continuing with the next course, let’s see how it goes...

By Natalia I

Jan 16, 2018

Great book, fun course. I mainly read chapters of a book instead of watching videos, then did tests and exercises. However, slides were very useful for refreshing before starting a new chapter or just to have a look at key points summarized. I am very thankful to the authors, who made learning my first programming language non-frustrating. I really got addicted to it. I admire the comparison of Python to a dog who doesn't understand what you want fr

By Michael H

May 01, 2017

Amazing intro to programming class. I'm consulting with a tech startup and wanted to have better conversations with my developers. This is a great class to learn the "theory" of programming. I started taking an HTML, CSS and Javs Script class about half way through (chapter 4), because I need some piratical application. However, this course gave me the foundation. It's good to get error msgs!!! Looking forward to taking the rest of the series!

By Bogdan B

Nov 03, 2016

Outstanding introduction to Python programming language that will lay strong foundation to the more advanced topics about Python. The teaching style is superb and the things you learn stick in the long term memory really quickly. You need, however, to put additional effort on your side in order to truly "get" what's going on and learn and program as much as you can, as doing is really learning. Excellent, excellent course, teacher and the community.

By Sneh S

Apr 09, 2020

his is a well-designed, well-taught course to learn about basics of python and control flow.Apart form engaging teaching and amazing content, I loved the Bonus videos(they were really insightful, made me surprised and motivated at the same time, to learn python and programming) and Dr. Chuck's goal behind teaching this course is really inspiring. It also gives a glimpse of how programs work under the

hood on the hardware viz. memory, CPU etc.

By Jack M

Jan 14, 2020

Excellent Course! This course really gives someone the foundation of python coding and gives yourself early confidence in learning this skill to continue to take on new challenges in working towards being an expert. You will not come away with building any major project from this class, but it will definitely give you the foundation in getting to build that next level of this skill. If you are an aggressive learner you can complete within 2 weeks.

By Desika g

May 07, 2020

As the course says, programming here is for everybody! Even a person with zero programming knowledge can easily crack this up. It is a very user friendly learning tool. One can easily finish the course with so much flexibility and adaptiveness. The course is really qualitative and suits a developing programmer who's needs are simple. I am completely satisfied with the course as it met my goal which was to learn the first step of coding in python.

By Kush S

Apr 27, 2019

This is the perfect course for someone who is a beginner. I understood the logic and made it simple to remember how to program. The instructor and lessons are understandable and fun to learn and I can say I actually learned how to program. I came from zero python knowledge and was very pleased with what I acquired over this course. Additionally, the professor is very personable and about the course material and the delivery method. Thank you

By Hèlen G

Jan 22, 2016

Rating 5 stars for teaching style. When you are largely unfamiliar with programming it is important to not skip silly steps in explanation that might seem obvious. The information was very compact with made it easily digestible and encouraging to continue to the next level. The exercises increased nicely in complexity without sudden jumps in knowledge so that it would not give the impression that you are stuck forever in the pit hole of doom ;-)

By 慈曦

Sep 09, 2016

This course is just amazing.

It help me start learning Python and also help to improve my English.

The professor is excellent and also very funny,i like him.

Course material is the reason that i choose the course.This course has a chinese subtitle,and also has a PDF version of the book(which also has translated into chinese),it's so good.

I will take the following course as well,and i think it will also help me a lot.

I'm looking forword to it.

By kazuki m

Mar 08, 2018

I'm Japanese.This is my second online lecture and I enjoyed it. For people who has some programming experience in other programming language like me, maybe this lecture seems a little boring and prolix.But if you hadn't write python,you want to study python,you don't want to overlook fundamental python syntax and you need experience of lecture by English teacher without your mother language subscript,this lecture will be good for your future.

By Md M R

Dec 04, 2015

Hello There! I am a PHP web application developer and I am highly interested to make myself a good programmer. Recently I am to learn OpenERP Software which is created using Python. I found this course very useful to enrich my skill in programming concept and learning Python. I am very happy to find this course via one of my friends. I am so excited. This is really a great opportunity to learn. Thanks much for your effort dear management! :-)

By SADAM H

Mar 08, 2020

I learnt lot of things from here, i never used language before this course, because of my background is based on networking, i never think about that i can use language, Learning Python is very interesting, when you have such a nice Instructor like sir in "Programming for Everybody ".

Well I'm very much thankful to Coursera team to provide such nice platform, I will used these skills to my studies projects also.

Thanks,