Back to Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python) by University of Michigan

This course aims to teach everyone the basics of programming computers using Python. We cover the basics of how one constructs a program from a series of simple instructions in Python. The course has no pre-requisites and avoids all but the simplest mathematics. Anyone with moderate computer experience should be able to master the materials in this course. This course will cover Chapters 1-5 of the textbook “Python for Everybody”. Once a student completes this course, they will be ready to take more advanced programming courses. This course covers Python 3....
Highlights
High quality instructor
(1484 Reviews)
Introductory course
(4203 Reviews)

SV
Sep 8, 2020

Course was very intresting and interactive. And also looking forward to start python data structure course. Charles sir was teaching perfectly and his lecture content was also very helpful.Thank you!!

FG
Jan 7, 2018

Tan solo auditar este curso me ayudó bastante en el aprendizaje de este lenguage de programación. A penas ahorre el dinero compraré el resto de cursos para seguir adelante. Gracias Charles Severance!!

201 - 225 of 10,000 Reviews for Programming for Everybody (Getting Started with Python)

By Hao L

Jul 4, 2020

y4e is a great introductory level course and you will learn Python programming from scratch. This course not only opened the gate of Python programming for me but also enhanced my understanding of programming in general. I love the virtual face-to-face way that Coursera presents the course. The classroom-style learning environment they created, even if it is virtual, helps you concentrate better on the lecture and materials and be more efficient along the way of your learning. I really enjoy the way Dr. Chuck conveys the course content to the audiences. Dr. Chuck truly knows how to teach - he utilizes some unique teaching techniques and skills to make everything in the course content impressively easy to understand. This is a great course for beginners. I would recommend it to all my friends who are eager to learn Python.

By ABHISHEK S

Jul 18, 2018

I really liked this course by prof. Charles Severence. He is really good at teaching. He uses humour to teach ya which is a good thing because u can study for hours without getting bored. The course needs a little introduction to any other programming language like C++ or C to learn this because what u gonna learn is new language which not many people know, it is new and quite complex than other languages(I mean programming languages XD). So, u need a base in which u r good enough to relate python to and understand the difference and complexity of python. In all, this is a very good course which u can take to become a pro in python. ADVICE:: Take python for everybody course only if u r a newbie to programming but in any case, if think that u know basics of any other programming language take the specialization one. TNX

By Christian S B

Dec 10, 2017

I have been self teaching myself programming for many years. But I have never really specialized in anything. It's always been a little knowledge here and there for various languages. The problem was that after time I would forget some important syntax for each of those languages. So I decided that I wanted to, for lack of a better word, "master" a language, and I decided on Python.

This course did very well at going over the basics, I thought I would blow through this first course and learn nothing since I have been programming for years, but it was wrong. Although I did blow through the course in a couple of days. The instructor

Charles Severance's way of explaining things has made me view the code differently, and has helped me write more efficiently as a result. I can't wait to get into the more advanced classes.

By Steve T

Dec 24, 2019

Excellent introduction to Python for me--someone with limited prior coding experience, but strong Excel and math backgrounds. I enjoyed the core and optional lectures and found them to provide excellent instruction on using Python. I would have liked more assignments which would help to reinforce the instruction and get the syntax locked in. I will probably try to find separate sources for getting the additional practice I need to achieve these objectives.

As a side note, one-third of my total course time was spent trying to figure out how to get atom to recognize Python. Evidently, it is a path issue which can be solved with defining a path with some code I don't understand or by checking a path box when you load Python. I figured out the latter and reloaded Python, but it was a lot of time spent on this issue.

By Ayu P

Feb 5, 2017

Hello Professor!

Just wanted you to know that this course have helped me gain more confident as I am drop-out student who still struggles to compete with peers who has higher degree. Although I am blessed to obtain trust from the management to head a team in a multinational company, my insecurity sometimes does comes out and I still always feel people doubt my knowledge.

I have been wanting to learn to code for a very long time, but I always too scared to get started as a lot of programmers seems super smart and I thought I will never be like them. The way you introduce the course and all materials are entertaining & easy to digest/understand. Your lesson destroyed my belief that programming is scary.

I will continue this lesson as a challenge for myself and to prove myself that I can also program. Thank you again!

By Ashwin P

Dec 27, 2016

Great course to learn the basics of Python. Even though I had studied C and C++ earlier this was my first computer course as such. It gives you a good flavor of the way one should learn programming. Dr. Chuck's lectures are exceptionally interesting. I would however like to suggest that some non-graded worksheets could be provided in the duration of the course so that discussions may also take place in the forum. But the textbook provided has sufficient exercises and practice questions but arent discussed in the forums. Overall a very informative and interesting course and will definitely teach you enough to carry forward the knowledge to grasp higher and more complex concepts of programming especially with the help of the textbook that is provided with the course.

Thank you so much Professor. Im deeply grateful.

By Jorge A B B

Jul 11, 2020

I have programming background due to my BS in Digital Systems/Robotics, and this it is the most comprehensive introduction I've had to a programming language. Most of my courses, and teachers thought we had previous knowledge, even if it was an introductory course. That's why I recognize this course as the most basic way to enter a programming language, and anyone can grasp the concepts in this first course.

On the other hand, persons with previous knowledge like me, but with no knowledge of python is a good way to remember the simple things when you started. Also it helps you to slowly get to know the syntax, and you may finish the activities in record time due to you logical thinking of previous knowledge. Finally, gives you an idea on how to help introduce people with no previous knowledge to programming.

By Sourav B

Aug 17, 2016

Hello, I am glad that I am getting this course from one of the (Best) Author of Python Book. I am really happy with the contents & teaching style that made me so confident about coding in Python. Contents are helpful, discussion forum clarifies many doubts & the deep understanding of each module in this course make it a perfect choice for anyone to who even does not know 'A' of Python's Alphabet or of any coding language can start & learn to code. Good initiative by Author & Mentor. Please provide many such courses in near future so that we can learn best from Top University which is anyway not possible for students like us with financial problems! We learn many things from home & from Greatest University like in this case University of Michigan! Thanks for all work for making this course available online.

By Muhamed S O

Jul 18, 2020

It is a wonderful experience to have these kinds of lectures. Dr. Charles way of presentation of the content draws attention of all types of students according to me. It gives the student the idea of how a programming languages is taught in addition to learning the programming itself. As a teacher in the university level I am very thankful to Dr. Charles Severance, Coursera and University of Michigan for giving such an opportunity to learn how to teach Python rather than learning it.

The quizzes and assignments during the course are little bit challenging. Short videos make sure students attention. Students get opportunities for creating their own codes during assignments. I appreciate Dr Charles and his team for these.

I enjoyed it through out.

And one more thing, the 'try/except' is new to me. Thank you.

By Oscar G B C

Dec 29, 2017

I am just finishing the second part of the Python for everybody specialization "Data Structures", I have found this course very interesting, since the first part (getting started with python) I found this familiar with R language because it can be run line by line and it does not require a compiler, additionally I tried to develop a program to do some tasks for me (and more efficiently) while learning python and the helps me move forward. Let me be clear, this course is not difficult, Dr. Chuck has a good way to teach this course, I am doing other in parallel that I have found I little boring but still interested as well, I have a tight schedule and that is why I need from time to time a motive (find usefulness of or practice what I have learned) to keep me moving forward with this courses. give it a try!

By Roger B

Nov 30, 2017

I just wrote something about the course allowing the student to access a few various coding exercises (that act, look and feel like the real practice graded exercise) that could appear before each of the chapter graded test exercises. I know that it would require more content, but it would loosen the student up just to have some super simple practice exercises for each chapter that aren't graded so the student could just to get used to typing variances of code (mostly all the nuances of syntax) and allow them to repeat the same code layout in a non-judgmental way just to see if other variances of similar code could produce a very similar outcome. I don't know if this makes sense... I guess in a nut shell, just letting the student goof off more and try coding the chapter exercises in different ways??? :)

By Shawn T R

Jul 13, 2018

Full disclosure, I blew through this in a couple of hours so this is not the perspective of a true beginner. However, that being said I think it's a great introductory course for someone who is a beginning programmer. The instructor puts programming terms and ideas in very relatable and visual language, which is extremely helpful. It's very easy to get abstract and esoteric with programming concepts, so the fact that he keeps it grounded is great. I'll also say that the instructor has a laid back and friendly style that makes the subject seem less intimidating. He's funny and occasionally goofy and I think technical subjects need that kind of approach when they're geared towards beginners. I'm going to continue this course series to shore up my fundamentals and I'm very excited to see how it evolves.

By Benson L

Jun 19, 2020

The professor provides detailed and clear instruction of the basics of Python and clarifies our notion of some concepts where most beginners might make a mistake based on his ample teaching experience. It lowers the entry barrier for students like me who studies in business school.

Although I have been taken a Python course at school, some vague understanding then has been fortified through this online course. For instance, how to define a function with parameters, the meaning of parameters and the relationship between arguments and parameters, were the concepts that confused me in function building. Furthermore, loop control was another difficulty for me to get through. All the topics mentioned above is clarified now, so if you get some related problems, this course will bring you a lot.

By Tatiana A

Jul 15, 2020

El curso es buenísimo para principiantes, te permite entender y trabajar en tus habilidades, el profesor explica muy bien y cuenta con material de estudio traducido en distintos idiomas, el único problema es que los vídeos no están traducidos al español. Si eres hispanohablante y no sabes inglés no podrás realizar el curso cómodamente porque no todos los vídeo cuentan con subtítulos en español.

The course is great for beginners, it allows you to understand and work on your skills, the teacher explains very well and has study material translated into different languages, the only problem is that the videos are not translated into Spanish. If you are a Spanish speaker and do not know English you will not be able to do the course comfortably because not all the videos have Spanish subtitles.

By PRANSHU P

Oct 24, 2018

This course is very helpful. I have enjoyed this whole journey of learning. I would like to thank Foundation For Excellence and Coursera for giving me this much needed opportunity. I also thank University of Michigan for it's outstanding course material, lectures and videos. I also appreciate teaching methods of my guide, Charles Severance. He truly put all the herculean efforts in creating 'Python for Everybody'. Thank you so much all of you. You all helped me a lot to build my career in a proper way. I just want to request you that it will be very kind of you if you can allow us to access this material whenever we want, even after the completion of the whole course as it will help us to revise all the matter just before the placement session beginning. This is my only request to you.

By Kippin W

Jun 12, 2020

I'm a complete beginner (my IT experience limited to Word and web browsing) and was apprehensive about learning any code. But thanks to Severance's clear explanations I feel like I've learned so much, I've a long way to go but and I'm really hungry to learn more and want to keep going. I completed the course in 3 weeks (about 30 hours) but I think I'd better go back and try some assignments again to really get my head round them. The forums could be better organised and utilized but I couldn't have completed the course without them.

I recommend everyone to follow Severance's advise and use a text editor like Atom and run your assignments in Command Prompt (this is clearly explained at the start and in worked assignments). It seemed a bit of hassle at the start but was well worth it.

By Gaurav B

Mar 8, 2018

I have completed the course and I found it great. I do think it is a bit slow if you have programming experience in other languages. The instructor Charles Severance explains the important concepts with emphasis and that helps build in ones brain a highlight of things to do or not do. Also the bonus videos are great to either get a backstory on python or the tech world in general. Overall this is a great course.Just for fun: If anyone from the construction of this class is reviewing this comment - I do think the macarena example has not 3 but 4 mistakes. 3 syntactical mistake but 1 mistake is in the steps itself where the left hand is on the right shoulder then the right hand is on the left shoulder. The next step where the left hand goes to the back of the head cannot be performed.

By J A M

Dec 21, 2015

Dr. Chuck is da man! Awesome class. Dr. Chuck touched upon all the nuances of basic Python that most students are too embarrassed to ask about but which are nevertheless mission-critical to effective programming. This capacity to address unspoken concerns both in presentations and assignments is one of the secrets of a good MOOC professor since students can't ask questions.

This class is especially useful for those students who just completed codecademy.com's Python class since it explicitly addresses several issues that weren't addressed there. Finally, no one can rival Dr. Chuck's ability to access celebrity programmers whose presence adds an important dimension of context and helps students feel like they already belong to the international community of coders. Job well done.

By Ozan Y

Jun 9, 2020

In my opinion Dr. Chuck one of the best teacher in the world for Python. Course was amazing and it is very easy to understand for everybody even if you don't have any programming background. I couldn't realize that how quick this course finish and it gives me really good starting knowledge for Python. Content of course was also great and examples are giving sufficient information every week. Quizzes are measuring in a good way to your knowledge and if you have any mistake you quickly realize that what was the wrong. Conclusion, thank you very much Dr. Chuck you have helped me a lot! For sure I will use this Python programming language for my new carreer and I will improve myself all my entire life. I am appreciate for this opportunity and waiting for you office hours in Turkey!

By Zhizhong D

Nov 19, 2018

This course is very basic, teaching you fundamental sequential, conditional, and looping expressions of Python. The materials are assembled and arranged very nicely. If you are curious how this course translate to the undergraduate course that can be taken in some best Universities, well this course is roughly like 1/4 of the materials that is covered in an undergraduate Python course. The whole series of five courses here on Coursera probably count towards one undergraduate course in a prestigious school such as Carnegie Mellon University. Though this course is very good, explaining the basic materials very well, this course alone cannot make you a real Python programmer. You probably need to register the whole specialization to have a entry level feel of a Python programmer

By Omar S B

Aug 31, 2016

Whatever level you are at programming, you will learn something new with this course because of the amazing teaching style provided by Dr. Chuck. Takes a seemingly complex subject and makes it incredibly simple and comprehensible to everyone! LOVE LOVE LOVE this course and any course taught by Dr. Chuck. This is part of an entire specialization. The only thing that is really lacking is an in-depth discussion of OOP. He briefly touches on it so that you know to go and look at it on your own time, but I wish he touched on it a little more. Nonetheless, 5/5 on this course. Thanks Dr. Chuck and supporting staff that make this course worth taking. The forum is still ACTIVE and if you run into problems a TA will be there to help you out! Critically to anyone's style of learning.

By Freud L L P

Jul 7, 2020

I'm used to other programming languages such as C and C+, I have been told that Python is one of the easiest, most understandable programming languages and I can confirm that is true. At first I was a bit slow in this class, but as time goes, the teacher makes it easier to follow and makes it interesting. The videos are not long, so I definitely found myself throughout the lectures. Although I was expecting more practices, I think with the basic I acquired, I can move on by myself. The topics are quite enough for beginners!!! Another thing I like about the class id how the teacher bring us to the programming world with his interviews with Guido Van Rossum, the creator of Python himself and with Massimo Banzi, co-founder of Arduino project. I really ENJOYED!!!

By 陈诗哲

Mar 11, 2020

Thank you for Dr. Charles! it's the first time in my life to really finish an online course delivered in English and it's extraordinary that the way it delivers can be so simple and systematical. Homework can really inspire me to review what I've been learning. By the way, English skills get improved.

I really appreciate many comforting word set at the very beginning. When you see "Syntax error", it doesn't mean you are not suitable for programming language or you are a bad guy. It simply means Python can't understand your language. on the way to learn, finding something wrong is just because Python is not smart enough, you have to find more accurate words to communicate better. That must be great help for a beginner like me. Many Thanks! Fresh Pythonista, Shizhe Chen.

By Carlos E P V

May 9, 2017

The course has very nice tools to help you check your code. Although I had a bad time installing python at first, eventually I could made it run both on windows 10 and mac os Sierra. I highly appreciate Dr. Chuck´s humor, not only is highly unusual to joke so much in a class, but needed for something as black&white as a programming class can be. I do have one HUGE advice for the course, do the little problems in the video. Each video has several structures and ways of doing things, do them each, and squeeze them. You will need it to fully understand more complex problems. I wish the course would do a lot more short reviews, instead of a general review after each video. Continuing evaluation is critical to get more feedback and improve significantly. Best of Luck !

By Limin ( L

Sep 25, 2015

Dr. Chuck is the most encouraging and entertaining teacher I have ever met!!! He really makes learning about computer and programming easy and fun! And he makes a great Prof. Snape impersonation! :-)

Most importantly, Dr. Chuck intentionally included many mistakes in his teaching materials. As a self-taught programmer who has struggled on one's own, I believe this is the most valuable part of the lectures. The students get to understand from the very beginning how to read error messages and tracebacks, how to debug, how not to be intimidated by mistakes and failures, and how to become a confident programmer. This should be THE teaching model for programming in any language!

Thank you, Dr. Chuck! And I look forward to learning more from you in our follow-up courses!