Back to R Programming

Learner Reviews & Feedback for R Programming by Johns Hopkins University

In this course you will learn how to program in R and how to use R for effective data analysis. You will learn how to install and configure software necessary for a statistical programming environment and describe generic programming language concepts as they are implemented in a high-level statistical language. The course covers practical issues in statistical computing which includes programming in R, reading data into R, accessing R packages, writing R functions, debugging, profiling R code, and organizing and commenting R code. Topics in statistical data analysis will provide working examples....

WH

Feb 03, 2016

"R Programming" forces you to dive in deep.\n\nThese skills serve as a strong basis for the rest of the data science specialization.\n\nMaterial is in depth, but presented clearly. Highly recommended!

EJ

Jul 12, 2016

Excellent course! I already knew a lot about R - but this class helped me solidify what I already knew, taught me lots of new tricks, and now I have a certificate that says I know `something' about R!

176 - 200 of 3,979 Reviews for R Programming

By Margaret O

Jul 13, 2020

It was an awesome experience having to totally dedicate time to really study and learn a whole lot with R. The structure of the course for me prompted me to do further research aside from the materials provided. That enabled me to learn even more than what is contained in the materials and videos. It was indeed awesome.

By RENJITH M

Aug 02, 2019

Even though the lectures are shot and to the point, the assignment helps you to learn many things by yourself. If you try to complete the course within the timeline, an automatic urge to find the solution will come within you. This is required in distance mode/online education otherwise people don't finish the course.

By Ron E

Feb 08, 2016

Excellent introduction! I have been using R on and off for the last 8 years, and have also used it while doing a Masters degree, but was never given a thorough and proper introduction of the basics. This should be an absolute must for anyone using R as an analytics tool be it as an academic or an industry practitioner.

By Naveen S

Feb 02, 2017

This is exceptionally nice program, it really give me a great sense of R and some absolutely fascinating skill to work with data. Lecture are really well drafted and pretty comfortable in understanding, mentor are responsive and replied as quickest as possible. Looking forward to gain the expertise in R programming.

By Parvathy S

May 14, 2018

This course and its assignments comprehensively cover and build a very solid foundation for R Programming. The discussion forums greatly help a lot and provide ample support to any roadblocks or doubts encountered while solving an assignment problem or any of the material in general.

Thankyou for this course, Dr.Peng!

By Victor J T

Dec 04, 2016

Um bom curso introdutório de R, excelente para quem está começando e possui disciplina para usar o curso como base e ir além. Recomendo buscar recursos a mais do que o oferecido para otimizar os exercícios propostos e com isso o curso será mais proveitoso, afinal, a maior parte das coisas nessa área se aprende assim.

By Srujana D

Oct 05, 2016

Its such an awesome course but need a lot of practice apart from the practice exercises. If we don't make a note of the concepts or didn't practice we cant memorize anything. Jeff Leek, he is such a great professor. I think he is the best when it comes to explaining something. I am doing Data Science Specialization.

By Tamir L

Jul 25, 2016

A very useful course that teaches techniques I could implement at work almost from day 1.

Prof. Peng teaches the material in a very clear, well structured manner, and provides good real life examples.

The course provides a suite of tools and techniques for data analysis that's a great starting point to build from.

By Hyeseon S

Jan 15, 2019

This course was quite demanding for beginner(Especially the assignment..) it would be nice if there is more detail explaination and guideline for the assignments. But i learned a lot from this course and swirl practices were really helpful for me to understand all the functions on R. Highly recommend this course

By Harish K

Mar 21, 2017

It is an excellent introduction to R. It required me to do more reading than what was provided via videos and slide decks. Without that additional reading it wasn't possible to complete the assignments. Loved the forum and the mentors. Both are a great help. Lastly, I think a couple more assignments would help.

By Chloe L

Mar 11, 2016

Assignment is a bit too hard for entry level students, especially if we have to complete it in a week considering some students might be full time employees or students. However, assignment is very good for practice. Might consider adding more contents to let students learn more about build their own functions.

By Gary F

Feb 13, 2016

Great introduction to R syntax for someone experienced with Python and Pandas. I was able to start coding in R for my job even before completing this course.

My only quibble is with assignment 2. I thought it was of limited value and would have preferred the assignment offer more exposure to the apply functions.

By César A A C

Apr 06, 2017

The course was very entertaining and useful. You can learn a lot about R programming and the quality of the professors is just incredible. It is also very nice that professors made material for the course that can be downloaded for free in Leanpub (people from developing countries is very grateful for that).

By Wasim K

Dec 29, 2016

I would rate this as the best source of knowledge for any beginner who wish to start/change their carrier to data analysis. Would recommend buying book R programming for Data Science. This book covers all the materials of this lesson and also can be a reference book whenever you need any reference in future.

By Heath W

Feb 28, 2016

Last assignment was pretty rough because there appears to be a lot of functions required that weren't covered in class but maybe it got lost in the amount of information thrown at you in the short time. Or perhaps researching how to use new functions is part of the point. Great class and learned a ton!!

By Quan T T J

Nov 12, 2016

This courses is a great course to start learning and mastering R. One drawbacks, there are so many open source that contain the solutions to the assignments and people who want a certificate can easily get it without understand everything. But if you think a while, what can they do with that certificate?

By Shuwen Y

May 23, 2016

Very good intro to R programming. Like the assignment project and swirl package to help on hands-on R programming exercise. Even I didn't pay for the specialization, I love the way assignment is organized and gives expected output/results to your code, so I get to know if my code is correct or not.

By Natasha

Aug 21, 2017

Great course for someone who hasn't worked with R before. However, a previous programming knowledge in any language is helpful when you seal with the assignments. The course gives you a solid ground for basic R tasks but I wish there is one additional more advanced R course in the specialization.

By Javier N B

Apr 26, 2017

Great course. I've now a better understanding of R language as the practices and assignments challenged me to think beyond the code. Of course, a lot of good information exists in Google, but the basics given in the course were the basics to understand all that information that is surrounding.

By Jenny L

Mar 23, 2017

This was a pretty demanding course but in the end, it was so rewarding. I wish it was a little easier though. Also, it took me months to finish due to work and other engagements. I wish I could have stuck with it week over week. I believe that it would've taken less time if I had done that.

By G A

Jul 06, 2020

A very good course on R programming. I would say if you are new to R and programing this is going to be very difficult and you need to spend a lot a time support material. The assignments are not jus the lecture session and need additional effort and reading. But I loved and enjoyed the course

By Debdutta R

Oct 01, 2016

I liked the course very much because Mr Peng has given me very good grounding of the basics of R. I wish to keep learning more about R because this course has certainly motivated me enough to pursue the next course on R. Thanks team for having me as a participant. All the best to Mr Peng :-)

By Aaditya D

Jun 23, 2020

The course is good!! The interactive swirl tutorials were helpful. Being a fresher in R programming the programming assignments in this course were considerably tough and I think you should provide some sort of hints or programming insights for the freshers to get help when they are stuck.

By Syed M Z H K

Jul 29, 2017

It was an amazing course as it helped me in improving my concepts, especially through swirl exercises. they were just amazing. Thanks a lot Coursera for granting me this scholarship (fee waiver), as because of you guys I am able to learn such awesome skills which I cant afford to pay for.

By Marc T

Dec 18, 2018

Although I did not take the course as part of a certificate program, I was able to learn a lot about R and to apply it to a project for my work. I see R as both a useful tool to automate routine data analysis as well as a terrific "what if" environment for doing on-the-fly data analysis.