Back to How to Manage a Remote Team

Learner Reviews & Feedback for How to Manage a Remote Team by GitLab

Remote management is much more than just implementing a work-from-home policy. In this course, you’ll learn and apply remote work best practices, build your remote work policy, and prepare your team for success. This course is ideal for current managers, executives, and human resources professionals who want to learn how to lead and support a high-functioning, scalable remote team. GitLab is one of the world’s largest all-remote organizations; experts from throughout the company will guide you through in-depth lessons for leaders, people managers, and HR professionals to build, manage, and scale. By the end of this course, you will be able to: - Lead in a remote environment - Build a remote organizational culture and practices - Assess teams’ and managers’ readiness and preparation for remote work - Create a foundational strategy for executing a remote transformation For the final project in this course, you will create a real or hypothetical strategic plan to transition a team to remote operation. You will assess your organization's remote maturity and infrastructure, and identify the best team structure for remote operation — including determining whether to use an all-remote or remote-friendly model. You'll outline plans for documentation, education, leadership, and equipment or resource needs for your unique organization. This is an intermediate-level course, intended for learners who have previous experience managing or leading people. To succeed in this course, you should have at least one year of management experience. No remote experience is required....

JB

Jun 15, 2021

Amazing! I am happy to see how it is possible to obtain good results by sharing with plurality and concern for inclusion. I learned a lot, with direct practical use in my current roles in my company.

MS

Jan 18, 2021

Thank you for this opportunity. I learned a lot from this Course.This is very relevant. I will definitely recommend this course to my workmates and peers who are currently working from their homes.

26 - 50 of 221 Reviews for How to Manage a Remote Team

By Oscar C F

Oct 28, 2020

Excellent course. I learnt a lot of things about both: management and remote work. The number of tips to facilitate the transition toward remote work were incredible! After the course, I was able to plan the path to more our Institution to an all-remote Institute. Thank you very much GitLab.

By Sudhir K

May 4, 2022

Very helpful learning program for improve of basic knowledge. when we are working then it seems that what we are doing is the best. Especially when you have been working for 8-10 years. But when such a learning platform is available, it seems that a lot needs to be changed now.

By Ogidiolu, O

May 30, 2021

This is innovative and rich in content. Thank you GitLab for being very transparent even to us learners by providing so much GitLab resource for us to work with. I have transitioned my orgainsation already but with this knowledge, its time to fill the many gaps in my process.

By Alysson C d B

Mar 23, 2021

A lot of interesting information. We have, for better or worse, moved to a remote working environment without the necessary time and training to do so in the best way possible. It was good to hear about best practises, transition plan, and the importance of management buy-in.

By Kirk B

Nov 23, 2020

Well-organized and useful presentation of practical methods for transitioning to one of several remote work team structures. Useful for both managers and team members, as the challenges of creating a purposeful culture for a remote work team are discussed. Thanks!

By Krista I M

Apr 8, 2021

Though remote work has been around for quite some time, the pandemic has changed the game for most workplaces. This is a great course for anyone who wants to learn how they can gradually adapt to remote work and how they can optimize their current remote work setup.

By Kathrin W

Oct 6, 2021

G​reat course to learn about and understand all aspects about remote work! The offered information GitLab provided have been extraordinary. Anyone who's considering remote work or wants to be up to date with this approach of New Work - this is the course for you!

By Senthilkumar P P

Mar 17, 2022

This course is very useful for project managers who is planning or operating in Remote work mode. The video sessions are explained with practical situations and examples. I liked this course and I would recommend this to my colleques & friends. Thanks.

By Dennis G

Nov 3, 2020

Great course. Must have for all who want to capitalise on the good that came out of the pandemic. The course gives great insights on how to transition to a remote organisation and that Peter Druckers "culture eats strategy for breakfast" is so true.

By Aliaksei A

Nov 24, 2021

The course is great and has a lot information. Of course, it's only a tip of the iceberg and one can find a lot of additional articles in GitLab's handbook. Would be great to have a maturity model for remote teams that will help with assesment.

By Marco d F

Feb 22, 2021

Great course, lots of good content with plenty of food for the brain. I would recommend it for those with or without remote experience. It definitely teaches you something new and useful to put into practice in your daily activities.

By Erzsébet S

Oct 20, 2020

The course highlights key elements in a remote transition, including benefits of remote, types of remote and possible challanges. Useful insight both if your team intend to work remotely or if the pandemic forced you to work remote.

By Remy G

Feb 4, 2021

Incredibly well done, with awesome content from a company that has proven that their remote working recipe actually works. This is not a theoretical course. The information is based on actual success. I highly recommend.

By Bryn P L

Apr 19, 2021

Great course if you want to ramp on remote working and especially if your looking to adopt remote working styles. Even if your looking to just review the possibilitie it's worth taking to inform you of the road ahead.

By Raymundo V R

Nov 7, 2020

Really nice depict regarding how to think about transioning from a colocated team into a fully remote or remote first structure. I really enoyed the topics that were described as well and the final thought experiment.

By Jp C

May 3, 2021

It was FUN!

This course makes me think about my own Career Path. Personally, I have like 13 years working from home as a freelancer, but with a series of good practices from the job I have now and this course,

By Sunny I

Mar 12, 2022

This course is as detailed and as concise as should be. The supporting and additional materials are great too. This is all you will need to learn to manage a remote team. I am super happy i took this course

By Lucia L

Dec 10, 2020

One of the best online courses I followed. Not only it touches a very hot topic of today - remote work, but the information and quality is exceptional. Thank you for sharing your expertise in the field! :)

By Jorge M

Oct 30, 2020

This is a great resource for Managers that are aiming to get it right on the remote work and that open-minded to think and act in different ways when comparing to the daily routines of co-located teams.

By Lars S

May 20, 2021

Very well structured course highlighting benefits and challenges of remote working and onsite models and providing good tips and ideas for successfully navigating the "new normal" of distributed teams.

By João P B

Jun 16, 2021

By Stephen F

May 27, 2021

A​ solid course, even for somebody with extensive experience in managing remotely. This will help you move your department or company on the right path to a remote work structure that works for you.

By Julian P

Nov 2, 2020

Very good overview and step by step discussion what's important if you are facing a remote transition. You can feel that the lecturers are experienced remote workers and managers.

By Hugo A

Sep 30, 2020

This course has been easy to follow, very informative, and most importantly, it provides a trail on how to think about and how to prepare an organization for the future of work.