Back to Reproducible Research

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Reproducible Research by Johns Hopkins University

This course focuses on the concepts and tools behind reporting modern data analyses in a reproducible manner. Reproducible research is the idea that data analyses, and more generally, scientific claims, are published with their data and software code so that others may verify the findings and build upon them. The need for reproducibility is increasing dramatically as data analyses become more complex, involving larger datasets and more sophisticated computations. Reproducibility allows for people to focus on the actual content of a data analysis, rather than on superficial details reported in a written summary. In addition, reproducibility makes an analysis more useful to others because the data and code that actually conducted the analysis are available. This course will focus on literate statistical analysis tools which allow one to publish data analyses in a single document that allows others to easily execute the same analysis to obtain the same results....

AA
Feb 12, 2016

My favorite course, at least it gives me an argument why scripted statistics is awesome and can be applied to a number of data related activities. Recycling chunks of code has proven useful to me.

RR
Aug 19, 2020

A very important course that greatly improved my ability to communicate the findings of any sort of data analysis that I perform. This is a critical skill to acquire to "deliver the means."

376 - 400 of 567 Reviews for Reproducible Research

By �SADHARAN G

Jul 17, 2020

good

By Rizwan M

Sep 5, 2019

good

By SriHari a

Apr 21, 2019

Good

By Amit K R

Nov 27, 2017

Good

By Jay B

Aug 24, 2017

Good

By Yi-Yang L

Apr 10, 2017

Good

By Oleksandr F

Nov 24, 2016

Nice

By 朱荣荣

Mar 11, 2016

good

By Suriya

Feb 24, 2018

O

By Marat G

Mar 22, 2017

By Jeffrey P

Mar 15, 2016

By far the most time consuming, yet rewarding course in the data science specialization thus far. Literate Programing in general and R Markdown in particular are simple enough as concepts, but do take some time to grow accustomed to. However, I found the course to be a compelling argument for reproducibility that has application beyond just Data Science proper.

Although the technology is completely different, the concepts behind reproducibility really resonated with me and the work I do managing a division in Application Development. I'm constantly having to balance seemingly limitless demands, limited resources, and the difficulty of retaining staff in highly-competitive industry. Reproducibility becomes not just the basis for cross-training, product stabilization, and growth, but is a necessary ingredient of a team's survival.

This course not only cemented my own thoughts on the topic, but gave me some new ideas and tools for process improvement on the job.

By Nicolas L

Apr 15, 2020

El proyecto final del curso tiene poco que ver con lo enseñado a lo largo de éste, era muy necesario haber tomado los cursos anteriores (en especial R programming y Exploración de Datos). Además, el proyecto debería estar mejor planificado, se buscaba que la mayor parte del tiempo estuviera en limpiar la data? O un objetivo más fuerte era el uso de gráficos más elaborados u otro al interior de RMarkdown? O un análisis un poco más elaborado que sólo sumar?

By Siying R

Oct 21, 2018

This course teaches how to present a R code analysis that others can run the code to reproduce the same result. The length of the lecture is minimum and the project helps me to make the reproducible analysis on my own. One thing I would like to see improvement is that the instructor's speech. I hope that he can speak more smoothly without stopping to repeat words. It was quite a struggle to listen to his talking. Thank you.

By Travis M

Apr 2, 2016

The first assignment should occur during the second week instead of the first given how the material is presented. The second and final project is very time consuming. Ideally this course should run for 6 weeks instead of 4 because of this. The second project is challenging and it definitely drives home the point about reproducible result given the state of the raw data.

By David R

Oct 22, 2018

I don't think the content of this course was as polished as the others in the specialisation, the lectures seemed to be a mixture of repeats and videoed lecture room talks, based on content I'd probably have given 3 stars, however the 2 course projects, which were quite challenging given lecture content pulled it up, I found these very worthwhile.

By Erik A

Jan 17, 2017

The concept is very important, so it's good that this course is available. The video's are sometimes not that great of quality. It's okay to show recordings of lectures, but the sound is of less quality.

Another thing is that the teacher says a lot of "euhm". I know he cannot help that, but once you notice this it becomes a bit annoying.

By Charles K

Jul 31, 2016

Pretty good course that introduces a lot of useful tools and the concept of reproduciblity. However, it is not quite as applicable as the previous courses for those who are individual contributors in the private sector and rarely have others double check their analyses or need to publish anything.

By Felipe P

Feb 29, 2016

In this course, there was a slide presentation with audio recorded in a classroom. This part of the course should be replaced as soon as possible to offer better experience. As it is presented right now, with a loudy environment, it really doesn't match to the quality of the other courses.

By Werner S

Nov 28, 2016

Besides the "real" scientists like medicine or bioscience, I think the whole community would be better off it everybody would follow the principles laid out here: Do your analysis but make sure that others can follow the rationale and that your steps are documented and thus reproducible.

By Jose P M L

Oct 23, 2020

This is a very useful course, it shows how to search your research in a complete manner. This is very important and even though its an easier course, the idea is important. The audio in the lessons that are taken from professor Peng real classrom is deficient. Its hard to keep track

By Bernie P

Jun 19, 2018

Good theory course. As someone who holds a masters and worked through half of a PhD it wasn't super useful for me personally since I was aware of the power and need for reproducibility. It's not worth while but having more of a business use case for the need might be helpful.

By Gabriel O M

Jun 21, 2021

very nice, I learned new stuff that I didn't know. Very easy to follow and to understand as well. The exercises and projects are really good to practice previous knowledge acquired. Also I'm pretty sure that this course will help me out in my tasks at my current work.

By Camilla H

Sep 27, 2017

The course finally got me to use markdown files which I had dabbled with before. It was nice to cement some knowledge. What I didn't appreciate was the largely redundant video lectures. Some were what seemed to be the same lecture given a year or two apart.

By Kyle H

Feb 5, 2018

A few of the lectures were a bit repetitive if you are taking the full data science specialization. Overall there are some valuable skills and thought patterns that will prove useful if interested in reproducibility and clarity of analysis.

By Mengyin B

Oct 6, 2016

It is about how to make your work available for others and yourself in the future. It is quite refreshing because I have never heard about anything in this course from anywhere else. It is useful for me and hope it will be useful to you.