Back to Resilience in Children Exposed to Trauma, Disaster and War: Global Perspectives

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Resilience in Children Exposed to Trauma, Disaster and War: Global Perspectives by University of Minnesota

How do children overcome hazardous experiences to succeed in life? What can be done to protect young people at risk from trauma, war, disasters, and other adversities? Learn about the importance of fostering resilience in children at risk. During this course, participants will: learn how trauma can affect children and the systems they depend on, gain insight into core concepts, research methods and lessons learned in last 50 years of resilience research, learn how research is being applied in the real world through interventions that promote resilience, and engage in discussions with others who are working with children at risk around the world Participants are welcome to take the MOOC at no cost or to register for a Course Certificate ($49). Those who register and earn a Course Certificate from Coursera also are eligible to sign up for continuing education clock hours through the University of Minnesota. Participants can earn 10 clock hours of continuing education credit (added cost $99) from the College of Education and Human Development at the University of Minnesota. Go here http://z.umn.edu/1a5q to register for continuing education clock hours for completing this course....

Y

Feb 02, 2019

Wonderful and very well-detailed research-based course about resilience in children. Learned a lot from the splendid instructor. Very detailed and empowering course. Highly recommended.

YS

Jun 04, 2020

Professor Masten did a wonderful job explaining the concepts and delving well into all areas of resilience. The course was no less than classroom teaching. It was perfect.

1 - 25 of 99 Reviews for Resilience in Children Exposed to Trauma, Disaster and War: Global Perspectives

By Gillian L A

May 19, 2019

This is a fantastic course! Extremely interesting material superbly delivered! Inspiring, useful and thought provoking. Would definitely recommend.

By Res K

This course was amazing. I liked the topics covered. They were all very relevant. Professor Masten was also extremely professional in delivering the course content. I wish she had a full Masters course online. I would gladly undertake it under her tutelage.

By meenakshi b

Mar 16, 2020

The course covers the subject very systematically from the inception of the study of resilience up to the recent advances. Interviews with the pioneers of the field give a wonderful perspective of the field.

The slides and lectures complement each other perfectly, the lecture videos are of optimal duration. The suggested videos are very carefully chosen and give a lot of food for thought.

The quiz questions reinforce the concepts learned in the lectures. It is especially useful to have the checklist quiz where one marks all the items that one has completed e.g. filling surveys, joining discussions etc.

This course has been very helpful to me. Thankyou for the effort that must have gone into making it.

By Daniela T S

Apr 24, 2020

I really loved this MOOC! I learned a lot about resilience in general and in children, in particular. Doctor Masten has put together a well documented course including a vast array of research, has included numerous interviews with well renowned scientists and also videos with famous resilient people and their stories. This MOOC was more than I expected an I recommended with all my heart.

By Suzanne F

Feb 20, 2020

Dr. Masten did a masterfully presented the range of historical to cutting edge elements within the study of resilience. Her easy manner and deep understanding of the topic combined with films, academic articles, anecdotes, and interviews of leading researchers imade this course both an accessible and top-notch. I looked forward to each week's unfolding lessons and insights. Well done!

By Anastasia T

Dec 26, 2017

Interesting and useful materials, a lot of real examples and interviews, classes are systematized in a very organic way which is easy to follow, presentations that supplement videos highlight the most important things, and the language and speech is very clear even for non-English speakers. For those who want to go deeper there are a lot of additional readings on the topics.

By Stacy C

Apr 22, 2018

Dr. Masten and her team did an amazing job bringing relevant dialogue and information to us! I really appreciate this opportunity! I am applying to ASU Doctorate in Innovation and Leadership in Education program and wanted to see if my mind is ready to go back to school! Thank you for revving up my mind passion and clearing my vision for next steps.

By Klara K

It was an excellent course that I thoroughly enjoyed. I was wishing it would never end really... Thank you to Professor Masten and all her colleagues as well as to the many professionals who were inteviewed and to the truly, inspiring and resilient people from across the world we had the honour to watch and listen to. Thank you again for everything!

By N'DOU N A

Oct 16, 2019

Congratulation to Professor Ann S. Masten and to her team. They have done so well ! For me this course is a very useful and inspiring peace of work that will help learners have a totally different look on some of the phenomenons happening in people lives around us. It will help interventions be more effective for future beneficiaries.

By Chrysoula K

Apr 26, 2020

The course is offered from a Professor with a long experience on the topic, in a structured and easy to follow manner, with real storied that really got my attention. Overall I can now safely say that, after having attended the course, that I have managed to understand such an elusive, to me at least, subject. Thank you

By Wendy M

Aug 12, 2020

Whew! We covered a lot of good information. Watched many, many videos and in the end I feel so much more empowered with the newly acquired knowledge. Professor Masten delivered a great class and her knowledge and passion for this subject is readily observed in her delivery of the material. I was a great class.

By Amineh A

Jan 30, 2017

An excellent introduction to resilience in children affected by war, terrorism and disaster. I appreciated very much the opportunity to meet (virtually) many experts in the field including the course instructor Dr. Masten as well as getting to know about many forums and centers related to this field. Very timely.

By Yibeyin

Jun 28, 2020

This course is very helpful and informative for range practitioners who are working with children exposed to trauma, war and disaster. As as social worker who is working with refugee children this course is an eye-opener and meticulously crafted. Please do not hesitate to take it. Thank you for the team!

By Bono S

May 12, 2020

A most informative course on child resilience. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Along with the content, Dr. Mastens' delivery of the content is most delightful and engaging. I have learned a great deal from the course, which I hope to use in my practice working with youth and adolescents exposed to disasters.

By Abou A

Jan 07, 2019

Before starting this course I was unsure about Resilience in general, this course has opened up my mind and they of thinking about resilience and how I can help my family, neighbours and friends about risk and adversity on how to over come or reduce stress! This is a must learn course!

By Tamara V O

May 14, 2020

Creo que la Resiliencia es un término que poco a poco se está haciendo mas conocido y que realmente es interesante poder motivar y trabajar en los niños y adolescentes para potenciar esa capacidad de avanzar y luchar a pesar de las adversidades. Me ha encantado el curso!

By Assia K

May 06, 2020

Very interesting and instructive course about resilience in children exposed to different kinds of trauma like war, poverty, violence, etc.. and the different methods used by experts to help children overcome their experience and bloom again. I highly recommend it.

By Rocío L G

May 21, 2017

Studing Resilience from multicultural aproach has been an amazing experience. I absolutly recomend this kind of courses, no just because the academic learning, but because the chance to share knowledge and opinions in discussion with people from world wide

By Stefani S

Jun 26, 2020

Professor Masten was great to listen to and made things quite clear throughout the course. I learned a lot and am already thinking of ways to support my community during this COVID-19 pandemic, especially the children that I work with.

By Maryam H

Jul 22, 2020

I really appreciate studying this course, RESILIENCE IN CHILDREN EXPOSED TO TRAUMA, DISASTER AND WAR, and I would recommend it for all teachers especially early year teacher because it helps in understanding your learners better.

By Tricia K

Jul 15, 2020

Resilience in Children Exposed to Trauma,Disaster and War: Global Perspectives is an excellent course which was thorough and interesting.. Ann Masten is extremely knowledgeable. Her presentations were pleasant and informative.

By Parviz I

Jan 08, 2018

It was a very useful course for me to understand Resilience in Children life very well. When I compare my knowledge at beginning course and end of course I can see a beyond compare improvement. Thanks to Professor Ann Masten.

By Deanna D B

I appreciated Dr. Masten's knowledge base and her passion for the subject. I learned as much from the forums as I did the lectures. It is good to interact with others and consider the implications for what we have learned.

By Tofail A

Sep 12, 2019

"Resilience in Children Exposed to Trauma, Disaster and War: Global Perspectives: is a time demanded education for the humanitarian. Being a humanitarian I am feeling lucky to be a part of this course. Humble regards,

Tofail

By sue p

Feb 20, 2018

I work with children and families challenged by loss and change in diverse situations.

I found this course to be very helpful in raising knowledge base, increasing empathy and ideas for action.

Thank you.