Back to Advanced Styling with Responsive Design

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Advanced Styling with Responsive Design by University of Michigan

It used to be the case that everyone viewed webpages on about the same size screen. But with the explosion of the use of smartphones to access the Internet, the landscape of design has completely changed. People viewing your site will now expect that it will perform regardless of the platform (smartphone, tablet, laptop, or desktop computer). This ability to respond to any platform is called responsive design. This course will expand upon the basic knowledge of CSS3 to include topics such as wireframes, fluid design, media queries, and the use of existing styling paradigms such as Bootstrap. After the course, learners will be able to: ** Explain the mobile-first paradigm and the importance of wireframes in the design phase ** Create sites that behave across a range of platforms ** Utilize existing design frameworks such as Bootstrap This is the fourth course in the Web Design For Everybody specialization. A basic understanding of HTML and CSS is expected when you enroll in this class. Additional courses focus on adding interactivity with the JavaScript Programming Language and completing a capstone project....

MA
Jul 19, 2019

I enjoyed the course very much. Learn a lot of things. And find that in web designing good practices are more important. I have to read articles, blog to update my knowledge and to learn new things.

TM
Sep 25, 2019

Well-structured, well-taught and easy to follow course with great exercises to help improve your skills. I highly recommend this course to anyone who wants to learn responsive web design.

1 - 25 of 642 Reviews for Advanced Styling with Responsive Design

By Karolina R

Apr 21, 2019

Outdated. Introduces Bootstrap3.

By Fei P

Mar 14, 2020

It's 2020 now but the course videos are old. I would suggest Coursera to update courses especially for technology courses. I like the interviews very helpful.

By Yarosav S

Apr 6, 2019

Old information about bootstrap 3, need to update a lot.

By Drew C

May 21, 2019

This course offered a good introduction to wireframing and bootstrap. Unfortunately, it was Bootstrap 3, and now we're on Bootstrap 4 and beginning to move to Bootstrap 5. It's tough to revise a course fast enough to keep up with such changes to quickly developing technologies, but just be aware of it. The additional practice on JavaScript-related information (due to Bootstrap) was also helpful.

By Jackie O

Apr 10, 2020

Rating this course two stars is solely for the outdated material in the second half of the course. An outdated version of Bootstrap is covered and the bulk of what is taught has been made obsolete by the current version. I took this course as part of the "web design for everyone" series, but would have definitely reconsidered a different class if I knew outdated material would be covered in part of the series.

This rating is no reflection on the instructor for this course. She does a good job of teaching the material.

By Jack

Jan 7, 2020

Colleen was great, but this was a weaker title in the series. Good primer on Response Design, but it was relatively shallow, and it hasn't dated well as she uses Bootstrap 3 whereas Bootstrap 5 is about to come out.

By Sumanth

Jul 18, 2020

I wish that the bootstrap code could be explained in a more detailed manner.Overall it was a good learning experience.

By Tim M

Aug 29, 2019

Should be updated to Bootstrap 4, Flexbox and the CSS-Grid System.

By Mohammad F A

Jul 20, 2019

By Nguyen Q H

Jul 18, 2020

Good

By Sean H

Dec 15, 2016

Great teacher, and you get out of this course what you put into it. If you feel like a lot of this is review, then you can skip elements of the course without consequence. If you want to dive in head first, there are plenty of optional practice tasks.

By Nadia H

Oct 11, 2016

I am really happy with this course as with the other 3 courses I finished from the Web Design for Everybody specialisation by Ms. Colleen van Lent and her team! The videos and materials are clear and easy to understand. The practical tasks are very valuable for grasping the topics. I really very much appreciate the fact that the videos are well planned and there is no going back and forth between screens and confusion by the lecturer.

I would have liked links to more advanced courses in the end of the course.

Thank you for creating this course and making it accessible to everyone!

By Wilfredo E S S

Mar 23, 2020

El curso me pareció bastante bueno, ya que te enseña detalladamente y desde cero como trabajar con Responsive Design, lo cual te ayuda a que las paginas web se puedan ver bien en diferentes dispositivos. Nos introduce en el mundo de nuevas tecnologías y Frameworks como Bootsrap que nos pueden ayudar a conseguir un resultado final de una manera más rápida, o para los que somos nuevos creando páginas web nos da la oportunidad de ver código y modificarlo para ver que sucede y de esta forma aprender más y afianzar conocimientos.

Muchas Gracias Coursera por la ayuda económica.

By Olena P

Jun 1, 2017

I have received a general knowledge about the responsive design and how to achieve it with the media queries and Bootstrap3...The course is interesting and really understandable even for beginner! The lecturer gives the feeling of support and involvement during all the educational process. I have got a basic level of the subject, understanding where to go further and different kind of recommendation about additional materials.

By Jim M

Jun 8, 2016

Dr. Colleen van Lent presents a solid overview of the covered topics. This is my second course by her and I find her easy to follow. I would have preferred to use GitHub rather than CodePen, but it was not difficult adapting.

Overall, I give a big thumbs up for this series of courses. I'm looking forward to finishing the last one in a couple of weeks so I can start the Capstone project.

By Holly E

Jan 2, 2018

I really enjoyed the professor, Colleen. She did a great job making sure to convey the most important information in an easy to digest way, and as a bonus she got me to laugh a couple times. Responsive design was a bit mysterious to me before I took this course, and now I feel confident in how to design a mobile-first site that will look great on any screen size.

By Mizuki M

Sep 11, 2020

Colleen is the best professor. Regardless of the profound technical knowledge that she must have (as she is a professor at the University of Michigan apparently) she really understands the beginner's struggle and teaches so well. Though it is an online course, I could enjoy her charming character and sense of humor.

By Ankitha T

Jul 11, 2020

I learned responsive web design using css and bootstrap in this course. It explains the importance of responsive web pages and also have peer graded projects to help us code on our own and learn. It is a beginner friendly course and the instructor also gives us direction on what to do after the course.

By Kevan M

Oct 16, 2016

I really like the way Colleen teaches. She includes great extra material as well. She gives a good real world experience without any fluff, If I see other (web design related) courses taught by her, I'm already 50% likely to take the course because of that before I have a clue what the course is about.

By Zeal A

Jun 12, 2020

I want to thank the university of michigan for giving there wonderfull course to me. I learn what i want to learn from this course.i suggest everyone who is beginning there career in website design apply this course its really helpfull.

And special thanks to the professor collen van lent mam.

By Yogesh K V

Oct 10, 2020

This course offers you more than you expect. The approach of this course is to provide an overview of the bootstrap. This overview helps a lot in exploring new things, as now I know what and where to search form when struck in a problem and continuing the journey of learning by own.

By Stanly C

Sep 13, 2017

Helped a lot to update my knowledge especially frame work like Bootstrap. I completely ignored ignored learning frame work of html, css and JS. This course changed my ignorance now understood the importance of frame work.

Thank you very much for effective teaching.

Regards,

By Janaki R

Jun 9, 2017

Very good coverage of material - I am taking this class as a refresher to stay current. I was one a team building a Bootstrap site for a huge multinational, I was the SASS person. I wanted to lcok in a broader picture of the topic and this did the trick. Thank you!

By Bhavin N

I enjoyed this course because the contents of the course were well-explained by the instructor, I am referring some of the examples of the instructor from Codepen.io to learn more about Bootstrap and responsiveness. The course is great as well as the instructor.

By Anand I

Oct 31, 2016

Understood the inner details of Responsive designs. All credits to Colleen for taking through the course with so much ease. Have completed the course in record time.

Kudos to the entire Coursera and University Of Michigan teams for delivering such a content !