Back to Schizophrenia

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Schizophrenia by Wesleyan University

The main goal of this class is to gain an introductory exposure to the nature of the psychiatric disorder known as schizophrenia as revealed by the scientific method. We will discuss a broad range of findings from the scientific investigation of biological and psychological factors related to schizophrenia and its treatment. More specifically we will learn about: (1) key symptomatic features through discussion and enactments of interviews with actors portraying many of the cardinal features of the illness, (2) what brain imaging studies (MRI and fMRI) and neurochemistry have taught us about the neuroscience of the disorder, (3) scientific psychological data and theories concerning cognition, emotion and behavior in schizophrenia, and (4) current, evidence-based somatic and psychosocial approaches to treatment. A brief historical overview of the recent emergence of the psychiatric category of schizophrenia will be presented as well....

CR
Feb 8, 2021

Information and learning was far more than I expected. The lectures were clear, crisp and the information provided was relevant. I enjoyed the course and learnt quite a lot about the subject matter.

EA
May 5, 2021

Given information is very clear and easy to understand.\n\nI really appreciate that it is just the most important parts and not the whole science or odd information.\n\nThank you, I learned so much.

51 - 75 of 306 Reviews for Schizophrenia

By Alvin J J

One of the best lecture on Schizophrenia, Will apply the knowledge to treat my patients better. Thanks, Dr Matt Kurtz, and Coursera for the opportunity to learn. I believe this course can help me to treat my patients better and ease their life.

-Dr Alvin (India)

By Ankit B

Mar 9, 2020

Being taught my ideal professor is the best thing I can ever have. I learnt why brain, despite all of its complexities, is beautiful and worthy topic of scientific exploration. My interest in neuropsychology has increased many folds after doing this course.

By Gulay M E

Dec 26, 2020

I am so grateful for this course. Special thanks to Dr.Matt Kurtz and Wesleyan University. Very productive material for students who intend to become a psychiatrist. I hope I will be able to become such a professional psyciatrist like Dr.Kurtz. Thanks!

By Arundhati K

Aug 4, 2020

the course instructor had wonderfully guided us through the course, explaining very sincerely the problems of being a schizophrenic. this course is wonderful experience for people who want to develop a further knowledge over the disorder schizophrenia.

By Meliza G D A

Nov 2, 2020

I am glad I enrolled in this course. As a psychology student, it helps me understand about Schizophrenia more. Not just it's diagnosis but also the biological, social and cognitive aspects of people with Schizophrenia. This is definitely helpful in me

By P

May 15, 2020

Well-designed course that really helped me understand schizophrenia from a neuroscience and psychology perspective. The case studies helped with understanding the symptoms. Thanks to Dr. Kurtz, Coursera and the team that made this course possible!

By Taylor V

Apr 14, 2020

I have learned a lot of new information about the diagnosis, treatment and symptoms of Schizophrenia. This course takes you through all the learning material in an in-depth, informative and creative fashion. I genuinely enjoyed taking this course.

By Donna P

Oct 5, 2019

I am a paranoid schizophrenic and took this course so that I can know a little bit more about what is going on inside of my head. I learned a lot, and have even discussed some of it with my doctor and therapist. Thank you for offering this course!

By Elaine W

Feb 1, 2019

I've learned in depth about schizophrenia. It has taught me a lot of things that AP Psychololgy doesn't cover. So it basically expanded my horizen on abnormal psych, and i'm pretty sure I'm gonna take clinical psychology as a major. Great course!

By Maria T

Sep 29, 2019

It's a great course, it helped me a lot to understand schizophrenia as a whole and in depth. The lectures are well-structured and one can understand them. All the information provided is very interesting and helpful. It is totally worth it!

By gargi

May 7, 2020

I loved this course content. By profession I am psychotherapist & remedial educator at Mumbai. I got more insight in to schizophrenia, understood more detailed about it, its biology, sociocognitive remedies....etc Thanks to sir Matt......

By MD. Y A

Jun 5, 2020

This course progide really deep knowledge about schizophrenia. Want more realted abnormal psychological related course. Professor Matt Kurtz is given such a amazing lecture... I hope we will get more course by this Professor Matt Kurtz.

By Antoine P

May 13, 2018

Captivating course about all the aspects of schizophrénia.

Matt Kurtz is a excellent teacher and his speeches are interesting, organised, and full of expectations for the development of future methods of treating schizophrenia

Than you !

By Aedrian A

Jan 3, 2021

This course is arguably the best starting point for anyone interested in the study, management and research of schizophrenia. Dr. Kurtz did a fantastic job of condensing hundreds of years of the evolving understanding of this illness.

By Alex B

Sep 28, 2019

A very well structured and interesting course. As someone who works directly with individuals who suffer from schizophrenia I found the information provided invaluable. It is a very short course but packed with plenty of information.

By Sirio M

Dec 19, 2019

I suffer from schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, as well as from epilepsy, and I try to study as much as possible because I consider it a great resource. Thank you so much for clarifying many points that were still obscure to me.

By Lupita R

Jan 9, 2019

I really liked this course, it is a an excellent way to get an overview of Schizophrenia, from theories about etiology to different approaches in treatment. I liked how the neurology was explained and kept on target.

By huda k

Sep 20, 2018

I currently study Psychology at A level, and this has covered not only the fundamentals we need but also context and history of the disorder which I found very intriguing to discover. thank you for this opportunity!!

By purvank

An amazing course that gives you insight on the workings of the disorder and how to treat it. If you're having second thoughts on whether taking this course or not, I definitely recommend the course from my side.

By Rulia M R

Aug 13, 2020

I like this course, so much, it's so deep discussing about schizophrenia, which satisfy me very much. Thank you to teach me this very valuable knowledge. Hope you will always success in your career, professor.

By Aytaj A

Feb 7, 2021

It was a very good course. I learned very well about schizophrenia. In addition, our knowledge was strengthened with examples. For this course, I would like to thank Coursera and Prof. I want to thank Kurtz.

By Holly V I

May 6, 2020

Thank you for this opportunity. I enjoyed the depth of the information regarding symptoms and neuroanatomy as well as the practical aspects such as assessing actors in the videos and thinking about recovery.

By sharon m g

Nov 14, 2020

Perfect platform to acquire knowledge about schizophrenia. Mr.Matt Kurtz explains in the best possible way with adequate examples and clear clinical demonstartions.Thanking coursera and Wesleyan university.

By Sean S

Aug 30, 2020

I found the course to be very insightful into the history of schizophrenia diagnosis and treatments. I also found the demonstrations in week 2 to be quite helpful in understanding symptoms of schizophrenia.