Back to Writing in the Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in the Sciences by Stanford University

AL
Jun 3, 2019

This was an amazing course that really helped me with my medical writing skills and understanding how making things clear for all audiences can help in spreading scientific knowledge across the world.

KK
Sep 14, 2020

Hello Kristin\n\nThank you for teaching me the basics of academic writing and editing with proper grammar. In this course, I was introduced to the scientific panel which further enriched my knowledge.

226 - 250 of 1,857 Reviews for Writing in the Sciences

By Jissa J

Dec 5, 2019

I am glad to say this course was an accomplishment. A well crafted course that covers a broad spectrum of things under writing in the sciences. I loved every module and the numerous examples and anecdotes shared by the instructor. Not to mention the extremely though through assessments. Wish i had the time to complete the honor assignments.

By Ali A G

Apr 6, 2020

I enjoyed and would highly recommend my peers to opt for this course. This course changed my perspective on writing and I thank our instructor, Dr. Kristin Sainani, who taught us in such an engaging manner. I like that there were presentations and interviews shared to help individuals understand the concepts. Overall, it is a great course!

By Theodoros K

Dec 24, 2018

Amazing course for rookies and experts on writing proper research papers, but also all kinds of other writings, such as Letters of Recommendation, Personal Statement, reviewing articles etc.

I don't have any past experience with writing research papers, and I believe this course gave me all the necessary how to's.

Thank you very very much!

By Katarzyna F

Aug 22, 2021

L​OVED this course. On point with everything one needs to know for writing better in the sciences. I never thought learning about grammer could be so interesting. Watching Dr. Sainani edit papers was like watching a magician work. If she had a youtube channel just editing papers, I'd be mesmerized for hours. I would take the course again!

By Kristina D

Jun 18, 2020

Great course! I really enjoyed the tips for good writing - can't wait to put them into practice! The best part is that there are plenty of examples illustrating the rules of good writing, so one can get a good idea of how to write. The time spent for Twitter and Facebook presentation of scientific information was a little bit much though.

By Ibrahim N

Mar 17, 2020

Excellent course! It was the first time when I studied academic writing, someone showed real practical tasks and exercises to perform and teach academic writing. I appreciate this effort. Kristin Sainani is among the best course instructors I have come up with Coursera courses! Totally recommend if you aspire to learn writing in sciences.

By Priyanka K

Mar 5, 2020

Thank you very much for providing this course.

It was really an amazing learning experience. All the necessary content was clearly explained and the entire course was well organised with suitable examples. I really appericiate the efforts taken to make the content so perfect that everything was conveyed very well. Thanks a lot once again.

By Franklin L

Jun 7, 2020

Terrific course! Though I considered myself a strong writer before the class, Dr. Sainani exposed me to strategies and tips that I never learned during my undergraduate biology coursework. The course exposed how poorly scientific papers are written and how bad grammar can lead even the most experienced readers astray. Thank you so much.

By Maria L B

Mar 18, 2019

Writing in the Sciences course will give you a really good notion about writing an article, grants and other documents that are present in the scientists day-to-day life. I am a portuguese native speaker and for me the tips gave in the course were really straighfoward and they will certainly help me a lot. I really recomend this course.

By Kevin L S

May 6, 2018

Professor Sainani does a great job highlighting the most important parts of writing for the sciences. This course has been very helpful in improving my skills as I now have the basics to begin developing my goals in writing and what areas I need the most improvement in. I recommend this course for anyone interested in science writing.

By Lisa H

Mar 16, 2018

The best writing online course since long time! It gave me new and relevant insights on scientific optimized writing, and much more! Thank you Stanford University and warm regards to the best professor a foreigner as me (Italian:-) could ever desire: Kristin Sainani.

Hope to enroll soon in another course in line with this one!

Lisa Halfon

By Liz R

Sep 24, 2020

Really great instructor from Massachusetts! Her ideas about science writing and improving writing skills in general were extremely well delivered in this course. The weeks material was well paced. It also covered other topics such as science news and social media which I liked. I hope to be a better writer and really try my hand at it.

By PL

Oct 17, 2020

I wished I learned about these writing gems as a graduate student, and it's never too late to learn. I have a greater appreciation for improving my scientific writing and communication skills, thanks to Dr. Sainani. She is encouraging, funny, and incredibly intelligent. This is a course not to be missed -it can change your career.

By Nadezhda K

Jun 5, 2019

This is a very useful and well-structured course that helps you to become better in writing. I feel that my knowledge has been widened. I learn a lot of new information about unnecessary words, how to write clearly and briefly, about punctuation, correct vision of graphics, tables, diagrams, etc. Thank you Kristin for your course.

By Natália d C

Nov 10, 2020

Great course for who wants to improve writing skills. Dr Kristin gives lots of examples and speaks in an engaging tone, making it easy to understand the lessons. Most of the examples are from medical sciences, so the vocabulary may be a bit challenging for who is from a different area like me. But it is still extremely worth it :-)

By Amalia d A

Jul 9, 2020

This course gives young scientists or experienced scientists a chance to improve on their writing skills. It is well structured and gives you lots of insider tips on the scientific writing processes that are usually learnt from trial and error. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will benefit from the lessons learnt for many years to come.

By Amarjil

Jun 30, 2020

I really enjoyed this course. As an international student it is not easy to write research papers as it is not my first language. This course was very informative and helped me improve my grammar and professional writing skills. Professor Kristin's teaching was clear and engaging, and those slides were really helpful. Thank you!

By Christos K

Mar 21, 2020

This course was absolutely fantastic. It is very useful for both amateurs and experienced writers. It teaches you how the whole process of writing in the science is. Not only how you write, but also how your mind should be during writing. I recommend it for everyone who wants to participate in the writing of a scientific article

By Butu H M

Mar 25, 2018

I learnt a lot from this course. Listening to accomplished editors talk about their experience and how the rules are not as rigid as I was taught they were has helped me improve my writing a lot. I have learnt to let to cut down clutter. I have taken this course and read materials over and over to make sure I imbibe its lessons.

By Rajul J

Jul 14, 2021

Writing is an essential art which can be mastered! This course aptly proves this line. I am very much thankful to Coursera and Stanford University for bringing up this fanatically organized course. Dr. Kristin Sainani is the best instructor so far, binding you to the core of the writing skills with such enthusiasm. Thank You!

By Brenna S

Dec 4, 2017

This course provides in-depth discussion of every aspect of scientific writing imaginable -- from grammar basics to writing grants, preparing a manuscript for submission to a peer-reviewed journal, and writing letters of recommendation, this course has it all. I will certainly return to materials for refreshers in the future.

By ABDUL H

Apr 14, 2021

It is an excellent course. The practical exrcises and the feed back you receive for assignments make it very engaging and useful. Dr. Kristin Sainani i s a fantastic teacher and deserves a big round of applause. I enjoyed the experience very much. Thanks to the organizers and Stanford University.

Dr. Abdul Haleem

PhD, MSc, BDS

By pankaj k

Aug 29, 2020

A big to thanks Dr. Kristin Sainani. it was wonderful experience for me, I have learned many principle of writing here. It was basic but majority of this skill I lacked, the way Dr. Kristin Sainani delivers the lecture it become very easy and interesting. Similarly the assignments and quiz helped in understanding the concept

By Liliana P M A

May 2, 2020

I really enjoyed this course! It gives students the tools to write in a clear, concise and focused way that they can apply to original articles, reviews, interviews, summaries, etc. The videos are very enthusiastic, compelling and easy to understand. I would surely recommend this course to any of my scientific colleagues.

By Rotem R

Jun 27, 2021

The course was excellent and enriched my writing ability. I was impressed by the wide range of topics that included much more than basic writing skills. The only thing I would suggest updating is the unit on social media, which can address additional platforms as well as how the mentioned platforms are used today (2021).