Back to Writing in the Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in the Sciences by Stanford University

SD
Feb 25, 2020

Respected Dr.kristiani sainani madam and coursera.\n\nI thank you for the wonderful classes and presentations, it really didn't made me feel that i was learning online course but as in class learning.

IA
Aug 25, 2020

A very helpful course. My writing has improved significantly in these 8 weeks. I highly recommend this course to everyone. Thank you Dr. Kristin Sainani and Coursera for bringing this course together.

151 - 175 of 1,389 Reviews for Writing in the Sciences

By Ahmad A D

Sep 16, 2018

I am so pleased and happy. I have no words to describe my feelings. I would say that this course made a breakthrough in my writing knowledge. This course answered too many questions that I have had in my science writing. I have tried to ask many people who are experts in writing in the science field, however, I did not get enough and adequate answers. Thank you so much Dr. Sainani.

By Eric B

Mar 29, 2020

This is an amazing course! I am a researcher, and I intend to make it mandatory for all the grad students who come into my lab - everyone should take this course at the beginning of their graduate degree. Some small topics are missing: 1. Reporting Guidelines (equator-network.org) - key in writing papers. 2. Describing statistical analyses. But, in general this course is an A++!

By Faride U F

Jun 29, 2020

Me gustó mucho este curso puesto que tenía todos los requerimientos que yo quería para mejorar la parte de escritura de textos científicos. Creo que viene detallado conforme a áreas y eso también me agradó mucho. El único pero que le pongo es la calificación por compañeros, puesto que varias tareas no fueron revisadas por nadie y eso no me permitió mostrar el curso como concluido

By Maureen B

Mar 20, 2020

The instructor was very knowledgeable; she provided many opportunities to apply the skills we learned. The skills and knowledge I learned are applicable to what I want to do and I believe my writing has improved as a result. I also review other people's work, and this course helps me in that regard as well. I recommend it and I will definitely sign up for another Coursera course.

By Pierre O

Jan 24, 2019

Despite targeting medical students (and being an outsider– I am an ecologist), the course is well explained and gave me many tips in the different fields that touch scientific writing: writing research papers, grant applications and popular summaries.Totally recommend 200%.

N.B. The teacher is awesome and an amazing communicator. The mentors are awesome too and give great advises.

By Francisco L L

Apr 16, 2018

Excellent tips for writing and structuring your work. Some parts (examples) are focused on specific research (medicine, biology, ...) and the vocabulary can be found difficult to read, nevertheless it does not affect in any way how the course is taught or assessed.

I am a Phd candidate and I feel it was the right choice to take this course to improve my scientific writing skills.

By Rashika T

Jul 8, 2020

The course has given me more than I could've asked for. It's been an amazing journey of 8 weeks. Writing couldn't have been more fun. I loved the assignments, peer review, interviews, panel discussion and guest lectures. All aspects of teaching and learning has been touched in this course and thus it stands apart from the rest. Thanking the team for this wonderful experience.

By Janelle R

Aug 24, 2020

I really enjoyed this course! I have dyslexia so it's always been hard for me to write, especially when I started writing scientific papers. This course gave me a great blueprint of how to go about it, what the education system didn't teach you, and other tips to enhance your writing. I definitely recommend this course to anyone looking to improve their writing abilities.

By Nidhi S

Mar 19, 2018

I have loved this course so much. The instructor Dr. Kristin Sainani designed it so well and covered all the required topics in this course. It was very easy to understand. I have stopped one of my research paper writing so that I could write it, one I complete. I am very happy that I registered for this and completed it. I will recommend it to my students and colleagues.

By Natalia L U

Aug 16, 2020

Disfruté mucho hacer el curso "Writing in the Sciences". Los contenidos no tienen desperdicio y la exigencia es acorde a un nivel universitario. Kristin Sainani, docente a cargo, es muy didáctica y contagia el amor por su profesión. Mi única crítica es que al ser sólo videos, las clases se vuelven un poco tediosas, quizá pondría algunos contenidos en materiales escritos.

By Victor I M

Aug 8, 2020

I am starting to write manuscripts, some of them already published, but I always struggled with "apparently" simple things like what style should I use--as many articles use different styles.

This course works for me as a guideline, but also helps me thinking about how to engage the people that will read my work.

I have yet a lot to learn, and I thank you for the course.

By Minely C

I loved the course. The multiple examples and exercises helped me to learn and improve my writing skills. I start practicing the diverse tips and advice in my student life. Definitively I enjoy so much my "writing time" using my time in a more efficient and organized way. Professor Kristin is so clear and concise, her voice tone and attitude made enjoyable the course.

By Cristina P

Apr 12, 2020

Excellent course that covers a lot of content, from basic grammar to getting a paper published! Dr. Sainani is a fantastic lecturer! She was engaging and presented content clearly and supported by many examples. Even though much of the types of writing were not relevant to my field, the content was engaging and very well presented. I highly recommend this course!

By Gillian J

Oct 24, 2019

This course is an interesting journey through writing about and in the sciences. It is well constructed and delivered, provides checks on understanding throughout and allows frequent testing of understanding and reinforcement of the learning goals. I recommend it for anyone in a scientific role: academic and industrial situations, where communication is essential.

By Pradnya K

Dec 3, 2018

I found this course very useful, motivating and an eye opener. It will e very helpful while writing my next manuscript. Hence forth, I can present my research as per the type of audience in front of me. And including such experienced guest interviews and their opinion was a great thing. I would definitely like to recommend this course my other researcher friends.

By Meg D

May 13, 2020

I am just starting to get to the point in my career where I am taking on more writing assignments. This course really helped me understand how to organize my thoughts and clearly present the key points for a scientific experiment. The content was engaging, helpful, and relevant. I will definitely be calling on the knowledge I gained in this course in the future.

By Javier B

May 7, 2020

Excellent overview of the writing in Science. Each week a different topic is explored. In the first weeks, the students learn and practice the process of writing from style, editing, structure of the text. Half-way the course also covers the process of writing papers, reviews, grants, and how to communicate to a broader audience. I would recommend this course.

By Joy L

Highly recommend this course, I am glad to take this course at the start of my PhD. I think a big cohort can benefit from this, from uni students to early career researchers. The audio quality is good, Dr. Kristin makes academic writing/editing much more fun than other teachers I had. You can even listen to her clearly at 1.5 times the original speed, bonus!

By JoAnna P D

Aug 28, 2019

This was a fantastic course! Although I have been a medical writer for 7 years, I am always interested in learning more about writing and improving my writing skills. This course provided excellent writing tips and provided great insight into how to write and review a scientific manuscript. This course is applicable for all writers, regardless of skill level.

By Chris R

Sep 28, 2020

As a virgin to writing in the sciences this course gave me the confidence to approach the process in an organised and logical manner. It has helped me with my first lay publication where getting the science across in an easy to understand way whilst not losing any underlying messages. Thank you and I will definitely be suggesting this course to colleagues.

By Tanay B

I thoroughly enjoyed the course and its curricula. Even though I am a postdoc and have authored several scientific articles; yet I always felt that I could have made them better. Therefore, I enrolled in this course. Thanks to Kristin for being a fantastic instructor. I also enjoyed the units on plagiarism, grant writing and writing for the general audience.

By Andrea C

Sep 4, 2019

I enjoyed the 8 weeks learning of writing in the Sciences very much. The materials are very comprehensive and helpful. Give a lot of tips on different types of academic writing. And I've learned how to edit my own work and how to write clearly and concisely. I highly recommend this class and look forward to future courses on this topic or from Dr. Kristin!

By Dr.Hanif U R

Nov 28, 2019

Really a great course, I have learned many things which I haven't ever known before to be considered in technical writing and learned many more from the interviews of the great scientists and editor of different journals.

Thanks a lot, Kristin Sainani for delivering the whole course in a very best friendly and understandable way.

Wish you all the best....!

By Pauline P

Jun 1, 2020

Super cours!

J'ai appris énormément de choses, même si j'ai déjà eu l'occasion d'écrire plusieurs articles!

Merci pour tous les conseils, exercices et examples. La diversité de types de textes est tout à fait pertinente (manuscrit, lettre de recommandation, tweet, etc.). Je n'hésiterai pas à me replonger dans mes notes dans les années qui viennent.

By Uttara M

May 9, 2020

This course by Dr Kristin Sainani is excellent. She has given deep insights into effective writing. I am immensely grateful to her for sharing so many important tips. After doing this course I realized many mistakes that I was doing unknowingly. I would recommend this course to all those who want to pursue their career in sciences or related fields.