Back to Writing in the Sciences

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Writing in the Sciences by Stanford University

IA
Aug 25, 2020

A very helpful course. My writing has improved significantly in these 8 weeks. I highly recommend this course to everyone. Thank you Dr. Kristin Sainani and Coursera for bringing this course together.

AL
Jun 3, 2019

This was an amazing course that really helped me with my medical writing skills and understanding how making things clear for all audiences can help in spreading scientific knowledge across the world.

1801 - 1825 of 1,897 Reviews for Writing in the Sciences

By Ashley H

Dec 4, 2019

This was a really great course and was worth my time. It provided me with a number of strategies to make my science writing clear and succinct without losing important scientific concepts needed for my field. It also had me consider best practices in summarizing my findings for audiences outside of my field, outside of science, and for the public.

By Oscar R

Feb 16, 2021

Excellent course. Dr. Kristin Sainani shares her knowledge and expertise in 8 weeks of simple and complete lessons. I encourage every person involve in Science to take a course like this. Communication and dissemination of your research is as important as the research itself.

By Thomas P D

May 15, 2020

This course is applicable to both beginning and experienced writers. I took this course as a refresher and found it worthwhile. Units 1-6 were most helpful with units 7-8 less so but these units are focused on those in Academia. Overall, a good course and worth the time.

By Lorrie C

Mar 29, 2020

I thoroughly enjoyed the course. It challenged me coming from a non-scientist background. I work in a hospital and am exposed daily to medical terms which is what brought me to the course. Overall I feel that I improved my skill set which allows me to advance my career.

By Vignesh R

Oct 1, 2020

Thank you Dr. Kristin Sainani for your wonderful lecture, facilitated learning by making this course easier and I've improved my writing skills significantly. Thanks to Coursera for bringing Writing in the Sciences, and I recommend everyone to enroll in this course.

By Al S

Aug 8, 2020

The course was very informative and easy to understand for a lay person like me who has no relation to medicine or academiics . kristin was brilliant.. I loved the course. My only suggestion is to use non scientific examples sometimes so It'd be easier and more fun.

By Gabriela A

Jun 25, 2021

I​t is a very useful introduction to writing in the sciences covering most areas of scientific communication. I was already experienced in writing articles so that part felt a little bit lengthy for me. Thank you very much for this course, I have enjoyed it a lot.

By Fati A

Apr 22, 2020

Every type of science-related writing is explained; some extraordinary and some boring. But the course is very fulfilling and definitely worth your while. It polishes your knowledge of writing and gives you the proper meaning of writing in the sciences. Good luck

By Tímea T

Sep 28, 2021

For me it was a bit too centered around biological/medical sciences so some of the lectures were not so relevant for me (a mathematician). Other than that the course was great, I learned a lot, and I'm actively using the knowledge that I obtained.

By Adam P

Aug 1, 2020

I found this course very helpful in pointing out some things in writing I hadn't though of before or didn't realize I was doing which made my writing less clear and concise. The hands-on exercises helped to solidify the concepts in the lessons.

By Rebecca J

Jun 8, 2020

Great information for the most part, but some of it was clearly outdated (2012, etc.) and restructured without adjusting the content to reflect the changes. I did really appreciate the general tips and practice in editing/publishing.

By Preeti L S

Aug 6, 2019

It's a great course that provides a great perspective on academic writing. I especially enjoyed the interviews that were included. However, some of the content does seem a bit old, newer versions would be great and more relatable.

By Cristina C

Aug 14, 2019

I thought this was extremely helpful and insightful. I do not like waiting on other to review my submissions. I don't have control over what others do. And I don't have time to plea with others to do so.

By Molly S

Jul 19, 2021

Great review and help writing papers! I liked the editing sections and how to keep your paper sounding precise but not too wordy. Some of the sections were a bit long, but otherwise very helpful! Thanks!

By Johan L

Mar 1, 2021

The teacher is very concise and all videos have clear learning goals. You don't spend 5 minutes without learning something. Week 7 and 8 are not that relevant to scientific writing and are a bit boring.

By Gabriel B V

Oct 24, 2020

A good course in general. The first few weeks are really hard for people who are not native English speakers. You should consider the assignments based that not everyone is a native English speaker.

By Sarah C

Could use more variety in journal examples. Course was a little heavy on medical biology; it would've been nice having examples from other sciences as well. Otherwise, very helpful course.

By Alfonso M C

Nov 9, 2020

It´s a really usfeul course, although basically for beginners. They need to update the part of social media as they data are from many years ago, but you learn in every of their modules.

By Fabien H

Oct 13, 2021

A​ lot of good stuff, especially in the first half or 2/3 of the course. Somewhat weaker towards the end, but still valuable overall. Do please try to keep the politics out, however!!

By Yuichiro N

Jun 11, 2020

This course provides a basic idea of how to approach writing with variety of examples. The course covers some techniques and knowledge that are useful for doing actual writing.

By Massimiliano P

Feb 14, 2021

I have just completed the online course "Writing in the Sciences"; I enjoyed learning new writing techniques and testing myself.I highly reccommend it to everyone! :)

By Jessica A

Apr 9, 2020

Was indeed helpful although in my case the later content was not relevant to my personal situation. I enjoyed the examples and succinct explanations of the content.

By Sumedh A A

Aug 14, 2020

Overall the course was a nice experience and i learnt a lot. But I think course content should be upgraded now (apparently content creation was done 4-5 yrs back).

By Uma M K

Jun 23, 2020

Thank you very much for this wonderful course

Well explained and structured .Assignments were really helpful

flexible enough to cater to the working folks.

Great

By APARNA Y R

Jul 28, 2020

A very good course. I have learnt a lot from it and would recommend to anyone who want's to start learning from scratch.

Thank you for a good course.