Back to Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation by University of Cape Town

This free 6 week course is for anyone who wants to make a difference. Whether you are already familiar with the field of social innovation or social entrepreneurship, working for an organization that wants to increase its social impact, or just starting out, this course will take you on a journey of exploring the complex problems that surround us and how to start thinking about solutions. We will debunk common assumptions around what resources are needed to begin acting as a social innovator. We will learn from the numerous examples of social innovations happening all over the world. You will be challenged to get out of your comfort zone and start engaging with the diverse spaces around you. By the end of the course, you will have formed your own approach to social innovation, and you will have begun to develop the concepts, mindset, skills, and relationships that will enable you to start and evolve as a changemaker. You will be able to purchase a Verified Certificate if you wish to show evidence of your achievements, but this is optional, and you may apply for Financial Aid if you are unable to pay the certificate fee. The Bertha Centre for Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship co-created this course with RLabs, a social movement ‘born-and-bred’ in Bridgetown, Cape Town that is now active in 22 countries. The movement empowers youth through innovative and disruptive technology by teaching them vital skills and providing much needed support and a sense of community. Advocating and supporting initiatives such as RLabs forms part of the Bertha Centre’s mandate. The Centre is a specialised unit at University of Cape Town’s Graduate School of Business, and is the first academic centre in Africa dedicated to advancing social innovation and entrepreneurship. You can view the course trailer at www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcWYG64WO20 Tweet about this course using the hashtag #socinnMOOC...

SI
Feb 10, 2018

Highly recommended for the change agents who have no background in social entrepreneurship. This course will walk you through step by step into changing the system for the better of humanity habitats.

SA
Jul 2, 2020

This course was great! I learned a lot through discussion and project submissions. I have not only learned how to create change in my community but I have taken the first steps to make it a reality.

151 - 175 of 463 Reviews for Becoming a changemaker: Introduction to Social Innovation

By Nitin V

Jul 9, 2018

A great course for anyone who is entering the sector for the first time. Brilliantly organized course with a lot of valuable lessons explained beautifully. Highly recommended !

By Rafael

Apr 26, 2017

i learned so much, i would like to thank all the professors and those that took part in providing this course thank you, i will implement some of what i learned into my life

By Yvette D

Nov 26, 2017

Thank you for this interesting and enriching course. It really helped me define what is closest to my heart, what I feel committed to and where I want to make a difference.

By Rudra P S

May 16, 2020

Very innovatively put course that helps build basic skills and knowledge required to go out and innovate for the betterment of the society. Thank you for the experience.

By Gupta A

Jun 14, 2020

Its a really nice which helps us come up with our own ideas to tackle social problem and how we can improve our ideas in society to reach and help large no. of people.

By Akshar p

Jun 8, 2020

The course helped me to become a changemaker.In find a solution to a problem by analysing and solving it with best possible way and same as for society and community.

By Hayley P

This course has unpacked the foundational themes and topics needed to get you excited to think creatively about social change either your own or other business ideas.

By Thanakorn T

Jun 1, 2020

This is a good online course I have ever enrolled! This course provided me an overview concept of social innovation and ways to design social impact-related project.

By Thandekile N X

Feb 4, 2019

I not only enjoyed the course but was challenged to broaden my thinking and ask more questions. This is a real resource for every social entrepreneur or change maker

By Nehal T

Sep 19, 2019

This course is planned really well and it helped me in getting out of my comfort zone. It has taught me the necessary skills required to create impact on societies.

By Sandy A V M

Jun 28, 2020

This course is eye-opening. It doesn't matter whether you are a social innovator or not. The information provided here will sure serve for l kind of entrepreneurs.

By Kappala S L

Jul 25, 2020

It's really encouraging my interests to do my best for an impactful change in society.very thankful to the professors, university, and RLabs team for this course.

By Nkululeko S M

Jan 23, 2017

A well presented course. It allowed me to dig deeper into some Social challenges that are close to my heart, and gave me tools to start addressing the challenges.

By Sara D

Jul 13, 2020

Very well planned, collaborative and informative. Wish I could meet the Rlabs team one day! Thank you for the University of Cape Town to bring this to Coursera

By Andhika W S

May 22, 2020

I like how they interactively create the materials for all of us. The quizzes are quite challenging week by week. I like it and this is really innovative lesson.

By KESHAV G

May 15, 2020

It was a very good course and explaining how social innovation can bring change in the society and tools needed to increase the productivity of social innovation

By Marwa M A A E N

Sep 26, 2016

It cover many important aspects of innoation in social works, however the extra reading is not enough to deliver the know how behind the concepts and approaches.

By Cuan W

Sep 4, 2016

A great course - well presented - with practical applications and insights that can be applied to the learner's own situation and context. Well worth the effort!

By Matilde M

Oct 27, 2020

The best course on Social Innovation I've had the pleasure to be a part of. Thank you so much for your dedication, knowledge and contribution to a better world!

By Sandra A

Jan 25, 2018

Excellent Course! The weekly courses are organized perfectly and the assignments really challenge you to think, get out there and connect with your community.

By Christopher S

Oct 5, 2020

A very impactful, outcomes-driven course with great potential for growth in local communities. The global context of the course participants is refreshing.

By Lablonde J K

Apr 11, 2020

This course was very helpful and innovative. It made me think out of the box and came up with the idea that can change people's lives and make a difference

By Emmanuel N

Sep 16, 2018

Great course. Clear information and good resources. The syllabus could be improved in the last week, regarding business models for this types of projects.

By María

Apr 20, 2020

I really liked this course and I think I have been able to learn the most important things about the essentials of social innovation. Thank you so much.

By Terry C

Feb 10, 2018

Excellent course! Instructors, RLabs case study, assignments and interactions with peers! A great introduction to social innovation in a fun and intere