Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV
Jun 12, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

PM
Aug 15, 2020

Professor Plous made me understand the lessons because he explained well all the lessons, and he provided enough information about the Social Psychology. More power to Coursera and Professor Plous :)

151 - 175 of 1,672 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Wong Z S G

Prof Scott really put in a lot of effort in making this course an interactive and resourceful one. I can see the hard work he had put in and I really appreciate it. This course is full of resources and interesting videos for learning. The discussion forum is active too! This course requires time and effort because there are assignments (50%) and only one test at the end of the entire course (50%). If you like to learn more about social psychology, this is the course for you!

By Jiang Z

Aug 11, 2020

I was completely mesmerized by social phychology and particularly Professor Scott Plous's fantastic course. I would be lying if I said it was easy to complete the course or to fully understand some theories, and yet it was nothing short of fun, extremely helpful and certainly worth the time and energy. Highly recommended to anyone who is curious about something like how people think, behave and influence, or to anyone who may just want to be a better person, just like me.

By Marieta C

Mar 23, 2021

I wanted to give the course 10 stars out of five.

The most interesting, well-presented and rich in additional material course. I am sure I will watch some of the videos over and over again as well as the interviews with prominent psychologists.

I am already applying the new terminology all the time - explaining things to my husband ( sometimes he finds it overwhelming but says nothing)

Best of all courses I completed ( am on Coursera)

Highly recommend!

Prof. Plous, thank you!

By Erma A

Jul 14, 2020

Professor Prous was very engaging and displayed and ongoing passion for his work. I especially appreciated the more in-depth review of the Stanford Prison Experiment and the actual footage of this experiment, which I had not seen before. Great job!

I did not complete the assignments and chose to leave the course after reviewing all videos and readings but this was a choice based on my current life and does not reflect on the excellence of his course or the professor.

By Sonali B

Aug 24, 2020

Glad to have found this course on Coursera. Dedicating one hour post dinner each day has been a whole new learning experience. Thanks to Prof. Plous for enriching lectures, case-study based learnings and several social experiments!

Adding to the bag is a new lens to view societies, behaviours, institutions, situations and also self. I highly recommend this course to everyone interested in psychology.

It was a sheer joy to learn and be part of a diverse online community!

By Alvaro S

May 12, 2020

In my opinion, one of the most interesting MOOCs. Professor Scott Plous delivers the lectures with knowledge, empathy and humour. The resources are fantastic and most of the assignments are very enjoyable.

As constructive criticism I would suggest to have more optional assignments for the honours and change some questions in the final exam, lowering its weight towards the final grade.

Doing the #CompassionDay Assignment was one of the highlights.

Very highly recomended

By Jovin D

An engaging, thought-provoking, well structured and fun course that has helped me gain a new perspective towards many social institutions and social issues. I took this course simply out of curiosity, with no prior experience in this field and it has been a very rewarding personal experience to say the least. Being a professional engineer, this course may not add much to my carrier directly, but certainly will have a lasting influence on my outlook towards life.

By Yanqiong C

Jan 25, 2021

This a great course! It took me 3 months to complete the whole course which was longer than usually i did with the other course scheduled, because i need to digest lot of the natural truth of myself that i usually i would not agree ... I start to learn to provide more understanding to others, i start to learn to find solution instead of complaining to those so called 'odd' behavior, so facinating everyday is a new day to me! Big thanks to Professor Plous!

By Satwik Y

Apr 29, 2020

I am so happy that I took the decision to pursue this wonderful course. I got to know a lot of things about human behavior and I can't wait to put that approach into action in my real life. It was a joy listening to Professor Scott Plous talk about different aspects in-depth and it made the course extra interesting. If you are still wondering to pursue this course or not, I would say not to waste even a single extra second and go for it! You are gonna love it!

By S. M A R

Apr 20, 2020

First i would like to thank coursera and professor scott plous for providing a brilliant course for the passionate students like me who love psychology a lot and once again thanks for my tutor professor scott plous for teaching the concept in an unique way that i have not experienced before . The videos were not usual it is extraordinary content made with huge effort and to conclude i had a great experience in studying social psychology along with my peers.

By J-Man

Aug 15, 2019

This by far the most comprehensive course I have taken on Coursera. A rich and highly detailed study of many issues in social psychology that were constantly surprising andd interesting. The course material features great additions of text and video that really help you get to grips with the topics. Finally the weekly lectures are always understandable and professionally made by the tutor. I recommend this course to anyone interested in the topic. Thank you.

By Feyzullah E

Feb 25, 2019

This is a great course. I have been reading popular Social Psychology books for the last couple of years. This course put the field in perspective for me. It is so rich with concepts, examples, reading materials, prominent people hangouts. Always interesting, Professor Plous obviously made a very conscious effort to create a course with meaningful and fun content. I would recommend this course to anyone with a slight interest in human behavior. Thumbs up!

By Maris T

Dec 29, 2020

Amazing course, love it, but will recommend that with the exam there should be at least showing what questions did you answer wrong (not with the answers but just question and is it wrong or right) it's because people who's first language aren't English, it's hard to understand the questions and the answers 100% so if you don't know even what questions did you answer wrong you don't know what you should study more. BUT LOVE THE COURSE!!! Thank you so much.

By Le T

Mar 19, 2021

This is the heaviest course (not even one of the) I ever taken. Supposedly students have 7 weeks to finish the course but in reality, It took me around 4 months =)) the reading is also unrealistic. it says 1hour or 40min but when i open the file, there're around 20-40 pages =))

Still, overall, this is the best course ever amongst all the psychology courses I took from coursera. I learnt a great deal. The amount of knowledge is just simply vast.

By Peter B

I really enjoyed this course as well as finding it very useful. The lecturer, Scott Plous was very engaging and was able to sum up complex concepts in ways that made them easier to understand. He also had a good sense of humour which helped me keep on schedule with the videos. I would thoroughly recommend this course if you want a thorough introduction to important findings in social psychology, many of which will be relevant to everyday life.

By Marika C

Apr 28, 2020

The course was very interesting. Professor Scott Plous was very informative and engaging. Guest lecturers and external video resources, further enhanced the content of the course. The course assignments also made participants interactive. The topics covered allowed participants to understand the reason for our behavior and actions. I highly recommend the course if you want to have a deeper understanding and appreciation on human behaviors.

By Muzamil A

Jul 6, 2021

Ma Shaa Allah this course is very amazing and having fun to watch its videos on big platform of Coursera.I'm very happy that I have about to completing this wonderful Course.This course "Social psychology" I recommend to all beginner students who want to learn psychology in real meaning.

I'm very very thankful of sir Scott Plous and WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY for bringing a fantastic course for us on big a platform of Coursera.

Once again thanks❤

By Alfonsus G

Jul 8, 2020

Social Psychology made me learn various things about the human facts that turned out to be very unique and different from what I had known before. Realizing this uniqueness and increasing the critical mindset in responding to social phenomena I had gained during my study in this course. I hope this course has a specialization, and if there is I will be very happy to enroll in specialization in this field. I highly recommend this course.

By Fabrício L S

Feb 19, 2020

Amazing course! Is a mind changer! You see a lot of things as a different view (more technical, acurrating and effective) and you learn how to act in differents situations.

The only thing i don't liked is in one video, they put Che Guevara as a reedemer of the freedom. I just suggest to who did it to see the video of this person talking on UN conference. We have a lot of good examples in the world to use, but surelly he ins't of of them.

By Rosemary V

Jan 28, 2019

I enjoyed this Social Psychology course. Being an introductory course, I believe it gives an excellent panorama of the core principles of Social Psychology. The course demonstrates how the topics covered make sense to the discipline while many times they seem so obvious to people. It also shows that having critical thinking of our behaviors, attitudes, beliefs, and values is necessary to be better human beings and have a better world.

By Barada C

May 31, 2021

This is a really enjoyable course. I learnt a lot about myself as well as about topics in Social Psychology. Professor Plous is a very engaging lecturer, and he has managed to persuade lots of others to generously make available materials (videos, course books etc.) freely available to students. There are a number of optional activities, like the day of compassion, and I found them very valuable. The discussion forums are also good.

By Geoff F

May 18, 2021

I loved this course , firstly it was fascinating and very useful in day to day life . It was also extremely professional and very well presented. Scott was excellent throughout.

I would highly recommend and I caught a serious bout of Covid part way through, and had to take a long lay off. In many courses I would have lost the opportunity to continue but here Ibwas able to pick up where I left off and continue to the end .

Brilliant !

By Joanna W

Jun 17, 2020

I really enjoyed this course, it lets you work at your own pace which is good. It is very well organized and prof. Plous is an amazing teacher. He explains all the concepts very well and it is to the point. The readings were very interesting as well. The course covers so many topics in a very systematic manner over a very short period of time. I will definitely recommend this course to my classmates. Thank you so much Prof. Plous.

By MELANIE P

Apr 29, 2021

Exceptionally impressed with this course. It was very engaging right from the start. Involved lots of video content that made the course interesting and enjoyable. Especially enjoyed the talks with guests which made you feel more involved and the lecturer was very welcoming and fun. The exam at the end was particularly engaging as it made you think about your answers and what you had learnt throughout the course. Exceptional.

By jeronimo l

Sep 9, 2021

To be honest I expected a cheap course with generic themes and nothing to learn, to my surprise, I was wrong. I loved the course, especially the first weeks. In the end the course started to feel a little bit preachy and biased regarding social politics and inclusion of people with conditions that it is still no clear how they end up in the situation, or even if what they feel is justificable or not. Still loved the course.