Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV

Jun 13, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

RC

Aug 19, 2019

I loved this course. It covered all the topics I was interested in and was thoroughly engaging and well-organised. Professor Plous is a great teacher and has designed a wonderful course in this MOOC.

151 - 175 of 1,042 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Samantha L A C

Really interesting and engaging material. The videos use a good mix of materials, such as animations, TED talk excerpts, and pictures that contribute nicely to the topics being discussed. The assignments are also varied and connect well to the topics. The professor seems to enjoy teaching and that also makes a positive impact. Overall, I would highly recommend this course.

By Chryseis N

Jun 18, 2020

I didn't want this course to end. One learns a lot, it really provided abundant materials - videos, readings, guest lectures; the assignments are also so well designed that you get much out of them. You can feel the care taken about all the aspects of the course from being interesting to promoting good social values. Thank you, Professor Scott Plous, to you and your team.

By Shubham P

Apr 23, 2020

The course content is beautifully designed. Even a person having no background of Psychology subject can easily learn. I sincerely thanks Prof Scott Plous for creating my interest in the subject. It is an award winning course content. I also sincerely thanks COURSERA for providing such a beautiful platform for online studies. You are the best companion in this Lock-down.

By Rodica B

Jul 28, 2020

Thank you very much for a really amazing course! In fact, I personally feel that it is one of the courses that has the biggest impact, at least for me. It opened my eyes to see how things really work in human society. It seems that this information should be learned by everyone from an early age. I belive that this can be the way the world can become a better place.

By Thanyanuch T

Aug 02, 2020

Outstanding. The course contents cover very useful topics about the relevance of psychology in an everyday life. It requires serious commitment from the student in terms of assigned materials and weekly assignments. However, the hard works are justified considering a great amount of care given to the creative teachings and the marvelously curated course materials.

By Karen N M V

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn with you.

Each of the topics and readings gave me information that has changed my perception of many things.

I will apply everything in my work (customer service)

The course is dense in terms of content but I have recommended it with my friends.

Thanks to all the Plous team. Wesleyan's courses have not disappointed me.

By Tracie T

Jun 03, 2020

I loved this course and Dr. Plouse. I feel like I learned so much and it was enjoyable and kept me engaged. I signed up for this course as a requirement for continuing education for my job. I honestly thought it was going to be a lot easier than it was lol but it wasn't just another BS internet course. I would definitely take another course on Consera.

Tracie T.

By Ashwati N

Jun 15, 2020

Being an engineering student, I felt I would have a tough time coping up with the subjects pertaining to Psychology and adjusting to the course assignments, however my journey throughout the course has been marvelous. I look forward to establishing a career in Cognitive Psychology and there could not have been a better impetus to my journey than this course.

By Parth L

Jun 18, 2020

An amazing course put together with a clear chain of thought. The course material was perfectly complementing the videos and the teaching was way above par. I always wanted to explore a subject like social psychology which was far out of my comfort zone, and i'm certain i couldn't have found a better MOOC online. Thank you Dr. Plous and Wesleyan University.

By Rinky B

Jul 25, 2019

Everybody needs to take this course. It simply is that essential. Not only for personal betterment and our daily lives but also as a society. We owe it to eat other and our future generations to come, to provide them a better social environment, in what they can flourish. I am gonna suggest this course to every single soul i know,who could benefit by it.

By Simon B

This course felt like a thorough introduction to social psychology. The subject matter is well taught by Professor Plous, who is enthusiastic and knowledgable, and uses the online medium of Coursera to his advantage. I highly recommend this course for individuals who are curious about social psychology and have little previous experience with the topic.

By Sivakumar S

May 04, 2020

Wonderful Course. I wish to thank Prof. Scot Plous and his team in Wesleyan for this well designed course. The active Discussion Forms, ably supported by the Staffs & Mentors along with the co-students, made it interactive and felt like a real course with interactions. I would strongly recommend this course if you are interested in Psychology. Cheers.

By Anh V L N

Jul 09, 2020

A great start for students who interests in Social Psychology. The course involves a lot of materials concerning common bias and normal psychological human functioning, accompanied by understandable concepts and examples. Various experiments are mentioned to elucidate the psychological foundation of the materials, most of them remain valid these days.

By Christian M

Feb 01, 2020

I have not (yet) finished the course but I'm sure of two things: first I've already learnt a huge amount of things, and second, I want to finish it an know what's ahead. The course is very good, I think, for beginners like me who have a vague notion of how people interact but are striving for a bit more theory and practical examples on the subject.

By Sandeep S

Aug 04, 2020

One of the best MOOCs of all time. very informative and interesting. Even though I had previous knowledge on many topics the course definitely enhanced it. It had some of the most engaging assignments. Prof. Scott Plous conducted the course amazingly.

Very Very happy with the content. Definitely recommend this course for everyone new to the field.

By Alice W

Jul 21, 2020

Phenomenal professor, great insights into the human psyche. Excellent course for anyone of any background. Content is also highly engaging - it is not just the professor lecturing. He uses a variety of videos and shows social experiments. There was an hour video I thought I'd snore through and was fascinated the entire time. Such a great course.

By Tushar S

Jun 06, 2020

This was the first time I took up a course on social psychology and I have to agree that I'm hooked to this topic. From the wonderful explanations by our professor Mr. Scott Plous to the amazing articles and videos shared in the course, it was a great journey. I thank Wesleyan University and Coursera for bringing this course to us. All the best!

By Miray K

I loved this course. It has been very interesting for me to get this course in these strange times. Throughout the course, I tried to observe and interpret the society in the pandemic era with the help of the learnings of the social psychology. It is not only a course, it is like a life guide. Thank you professor Scott Plous, Thank you Coursera!

By VICTOR M B P

Jul 22, 2020

To finish this course for me it is a great success. Because I learned a lot.I am a physician, and I have gained a little bit more comprehension about me , my patients and society, and how society behaves.It is now not just an HONOR but also a great PRIVILEGE to have this wonderful guy Scott Plus as a lecturer and as a teacher.

By Paula R

Jun 14, 2020

Thank you very much for the time, the knowledge you share! I feel super lucky and grateful. I learned a lot, in understanding many things that one does automatically identify them in order to be a better version of one. Having more information on how you react to certain things helps us personally and as a society! Thanks Scott Plous !!!

By Dhwani R

Jun 28, 2020

A truly fantastic and brilliantly curated course! I firmly believe that every person should take this course, because you can see it from any eye and get what they most need from it. Some fascinating revelations on human behaviour that should be common knowledge, taught by a fantastic professor and awesome TAs in the discussion forums.

By EZGI Y K

It was an amazing journey, I have learned so much during this course, the material and the presentation of it was very fulfilling. I have gained a new perspective about social situations and people's behavior. I would like to thank Prof. Scott Plous for his dedication and enthusiasm, it has certainly passed on me and kept me motivated.

By Donna N

Jun 19, 2019

This was an extensive, well rounded and enjoyable course. Thank you for the considerable amount of work necessary to compile it all. The only disappointment was the reference material after each video, further reading and videos, had the majority of its listings as unclickable links (any with a title versus an actual web address).

By Suzanne v W

Jul 29, 2020

It was a comprehensive course which learned me a lot about why people react in social situations the way they do. As a medical student I think it is very useful skill to understand behaviour of other people better. However, I also learned a lot about myself. Thank you so much for sharing this course online, it was very educational.