Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV

Jun 13, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

RC

Aug 19, 2019

I loved this course. It covered all the topics I was interested in and was thoroughly engaging and well-organised. Professor Plous is a great teacher and has designed a wonderful course in this MOOC.

1 - 25 of 888 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Ian R

May 31, 2019

This was the best MOOC I have every done...and I have undertaken quite a number over the past few years. I find that, in many cases with MOOCS, the treatment of the subject is rather superficial. Not so here. The videos were really interesting, there was a substantial amount of reading directly related to each one and both covered the topics in some depth. I feel that I was really challenged in getting to grips with some of the concepts and I enjoyed this. The final exam, I found to be really testing and therefore passing on the first attempt provided a real sense of achievement. Overall the learning was very practical and I will be able to use this effectively in my daily interactions. Scott’s total commitment to his discipline came across loud and clear and this was an extra motivating factor for me. Only one suggestion for improvement. It would have been ideal to have had a short check-up quiz at the end of each week. This would have confirmed understanding of the topic for that week and would have provided some preparation for the final exam.

By Fahed M A

Apr 11, 2020

Unfortunately this course isn't what I expected it to be. First off, there's too much pressure to join Social Psychology Network for a fee. You're constantly reminded of how much better the assignment would be better if you tried it on the network and you'd gain a lot more from the course by joining on there and utilizing the resources available on that website. Secondly, I did think there was way too much emphasis on research methods and findings. Albeit I have only completed 2 weeks of the course, perhaps my comments are a bit premature. Nevertheless, I believe the course description ought to be revised, as there's more emphasis on various researches throughout history and the methods of those researches, as opposed to understanding "why we do what we do" as stated in the course description.

By Rayika C

Aug 19, 2019

By GONUL K K

Dec 11, 2019

I have taken hundreds of courses over the years of my professional life.. I only remember very few of them which influenced me. However this course has been the only one which makes me remember the different dimentions that the right, the wrongs might have and Life is only beautiful and bearable if we respect different perspectiives and recognize the impacting dimensions. Therefore I thank to all who contributes to deliver it including Prof Plous, Teaching Staff . all mentors and the technical teams behind the scenes.

So I highly recommend this courtse.

By Flavio C

May 04, 2020

I'm not specialized in medical or psychological studies, and I found the course and the exam difficult especially because the technical words that are not standard to me, and a little because the language. I had to remember all new words and avoid misunderstanding of the questions (tricky questions to me) and I had to review several times the documentation (especially the lectures) to pass the final exam, but finally is done.

The videos are well done and the teacher is special in keeping the level of attention.

Probably the course is well done for people already in the psychology field and terms, but is very hard for people at zero level for self education.

By Tanmay S P

May 19, 2019

I feel like taking time to rate this course the deserving 5 Star score. The professor is such a credible person and heads the biggest network of Psychology- SPN. The material provided is worth more than 70,000 Indian rupees. Thank you for making this available for no cost.

By Maanya V

Feb 18, 2019

Such an amazing course, the professor was brilliant and made lots of effort to help the learners have a fun, interactive time while learning. Would very highly recommend this course.

By Shivangi S

May 10, 2019

Professor Plous has made this course interesting with a number of additional videos, Ted talks and snapshot quiz. It is one of the best courses that I have taken on Coursera.

By Protik B

Probably one of the best course I have taken! Made me think and question - myself and things around me. Recommended no matter what your background - there is something useful that you'll take away!

By Patcharapol K

May 16, 2020

Asking to pay more. Also, I care about the my privacy. I do not want to make a profile page or sending some of my resumes.

By Jan J

May 08, 2020

It was my first course, which I took just because of curiosity during my quarantine. I havent expected much, but I gained a lot. Very nice course, with a lot of additional stuff like articles, chapters from interesting books, etc. Everything was explained well. Assesments were really interestings and funny to do. There are a lot of topics covered in this course, with huge amount of materials. I am more curious about social psychology more than before this training. I fully recommend the course, it was really well done. Thx to professor Plous who created this course.

By Veronnica K

This has been the most engaging, interesting, and thought-provoking course I have ever taken on Coursera. Thank you Professor Plous and all of your colleagues who helped make this course possible!

By Danay P P

You have to make a profile or upload your cv and post comments in the forum in order to take your certificate. I am not finishing the course because of that. I think these kind of stuff should be optional.

By angie r

Apr 08, 2020

i can´t make the quiz and they always telling you to be part of the Social Psychology Network by making a contibution.

By Fotini M K

Dec 07, 2019

Great course! Very relevant, relatable and applicable in life. Understanding these topics is so important to understand ourselves and the society we live in. I wish schools would incorporate this! It was fun interacting with the other students as well through the discussion forums and the assignments. The snapshot quiz was a great way to realise our thinking at the start and how it changed throughout the course. Well done and thank you for creating this course for people to access and learn. Thank you Professor Plous and everyone who has contributed!

By Jose V

Feb 26, 2019

It is one of the best courses in Coursera, that is why I give it 5 stars. It is easy to follow and covers a lot of social psychology topics. It is also a very interesting social experiment, as we are evaluated by our peers, and some subjects may tackle some of our nerves :). I really recommend it to EVERYONE. It doesn't matter if you are into Social Psychology or not. Unless you live isolated, this course is for you!

By Johannes G A B

Apr 05, 2020

This is easily the best course I've taken on Coursera. Scott Plous is a wonderful instructor with a great voice to listen to, who does everything to make the lectures interesting and engaging. The course content is also highly interesting for anybody new to social psychology. An absolutely amazing course which has sparked my interest for psychology. Thank you, Mr. Plous.

By Mariam A

Dec 11, 2018

The course is amazing! Professor Plous has created very engaging content. I highly recommend the course for anyone ! I think this material should be taught in schools as a required course.

By Jonathan S

Jun 29, 2019

The instructor is clearly very motivated! I learned a lot of superinteresting things that actually help in real-life. I have to say that the course is more work than usual on Coursera - but it was more than worth it!

By DULCIE T

Mar 17, 2020

A very challenging but brilliant course.

By Avi

Dec 07, 2018

Social Psychology by Wesleyan University is a good course for anyone who wants to get a start into this subject matter.

The Materials are A+, and the Lecturer has a strong, impressive background. You will also get to interact with the ‘Giants’ of Social Psychology, i.e. the thought leaders who have gone down in history through their pioneering studies. Equally, you will get to mix with students from a wide variety of cultures and backgrounds from around the globe.

I would suggest that when you go into this course go fully prepared that you will need to put in the effort, do not rush through the materials as the concepts and studies are many and you will come out a better person for your input.

One thing I assure you- you will have fun.

By DeNica B

Feb 18, 2019

I LOVED taking this course! Professor Plous is amazing and I enjoy the way he teaches things that could be very dark or discouraging with such lightheartedness and congeniality. I would definitely recommend this course to anyone and I am sad that it has come to an end. The information that was presented was so intriguing and thought provoking and has already had an impact on my personal relationships and the way that I see people. I wasn't going to join the SPN, but now that the class is over I want to because I am really going to miss this class and the information!

By Lorena E V M

Nov 19, 2019

The course has been unbelievable, I have known a lot about myself and I have identified the path I want to follow for my studies. Many thanks to the entire team of the course and Prof. Plous.

By Fetiya B

Nov 08, 2018

Learning so much and I'm only in week 1. It's untangled and clarified some of my own experiences and interactions in such an easy format with relevant and informative resources.

By Xiwen C

Jan 18, 2020

By far the best course I've taken on Coursera. Well-structured course content, substantial material and super engaging instructor! Strongly Recommend!