Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV
Jun 12, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

PM
Aug 15, 2020

Professor Plous made me understand the lessons because he explained well all the lessons, and he provided enough information about the Social Psychology. More power to Coursera and Professor Plous :)

101 - 125 of 1,371 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Joseph T

Jul 6, 2020

The course content, while a bit dry at times, was mostly very relevant for a beginner to Social Psychology like me. The pace of the course felt good, and I never felt like I had too much on my plate. The course community is friendly and very open with one another, and the instructor always found ways to keep things engaging and fresh. Scott Plous is an excellent lecturer who managed to deliver the core idea of each lesson without unnecessarily colouring the content with his perspective. Greatly recommend this course.

By MANSI R

Sep 27, 2020

this is an exceptionally good course, there was all in it that I could have learned, what made it exceptional was all the videos and links and the extra material and effort made, I learned so much about things which I did not realize and now I know. I don't know if this will reach professor Plous, but my heartful thanks to him and his team to make this course so much more than just a theoretical subject, and enhance it in a way its hard to forget, this was a helpful and fascinating experience for me

thank you!

By Laila k k

Jul 7, 2019

Full marks for an excellent course that makes me see myself and those around me in a totally different light, with better understanding. It has made me patient, less judgmental, more understanding.. changes I feel for the better.. To make sense of our biases, what an achievement. Or thin slicing, so much more.. what a great course indeed.... and taught in a particularly interesting manner by Professor Plous, making it easy for a layman to make perfect sense of complex thoughts. A brilliant experience indeed...

By RAKTIM D

Jul 8, 2020

Professor Scott Plous has probably created one of the most fun yet educating MOOC, which gives us a fresh new perspective into our everyday life and the things happening in our surroundings that we may overlook or treat with our innate biases. The course serves not only as a great source of knowledge but also makes one aware of the power of situations that we may not understand otherwise. Really thankful to Prof. Scott Plous, Wesleyan University and Coursera fro providing us with such a beautiful opportunity.

By Zlatin M

Jun 17, 2020

A very interesing course. I recommend to everyone, no matter you need social psychology for your work or not. Paul is a great lecturer and I like the way he leads the nerite course.

Two small things to improve - too long videos - they are really interesting but you should think of bite learning - more but shorter videos to present the material in a more easy-to-take way. Also the readings are too much and too long. So the structure definitely needs an improvement, the content and execution are great though.

By Stephanie F

Jun 5, 2020

Hello, I enjoyed so much learning this course. It gives many new perspectives about human behavior, and it also gives me a lot of confirmation (AHA moment) about the situation that I'm dealing with in the past. If you have some free time and you like studying human behavior, I strongly suggest you take this course. The topic is exciting, and besides the lecture video, there are also other resources to explore. The assignment can be quite challenging, but it's worth the effort. Good luck on your study :)

By Lyton C

Aug 15, 2020

I have really enjoyed the last 7 weeks that I have studied Social Psychology. My motivation for studying this was to be able to analyse and know how best to build and maintain relationships. What I got was much more than that, a deep understanding of human behaviours and what effect circumstances and situations play. I would recommend anyone to take up courses on Coursera for personal development, you won't regret it. Scott Plous is an amazing Professor, I enjoyed my lectures and will sure miss them.

By Alexander D

Apr 26, 2020

That was my first experience in Coursera. I used to think that it would be easier, but I realised it's not quite like that when I opened the first reading material by David Myers, the author of books my wife uses to grind her 1st degree at Open University in Israel.

The course is useful and enlightening... even after taking into consideration my 15 years long experience of working with people and communities in the field.

Thanks, professor Plous and others for this experience and knowledge sharing!

By Alejandra C G A

Oct 16, 2020

Professor Plous is THE BEST! I enjoyed so much the entire course! The knowledge I've gathered is priceless! I learned a lot about human behavior. This course helped me redefine my ideas and take a new perspective on several issues such as: prejudice, stereotypes, biases, sexuality, evil, obedience, conflicts, love, among others. I highly recommend it! All the concepts learned during the course can and must be applied to our everyday life! We definitely can build a better and more peaceful world!

By Nyanada P

Oct 15, 2020

A very well curated course. It provides a deep understanding of the subject matter with the help of several examples. The addition of several optional assignments makes the course even more interesting by helping one use the knowledge in real-life scenarios as well as understanding one's own decisions. Even if you have a smallest of interest in this field, I highly recommend this course for you. You will have a blast with it, especially with the professor's multiple jokes throughout the course.

By Samriddh S

Aug 5, 2020

Wow ! I never expected so much of quality content, notes, explanations, creative assignments, a very active discussion forum from the course ! If you are interested in social Psychology you must and must take this course. Professor Plous provides a very interactive and intellectually stimulating path to learn several concepts of psychology. I am 100% satisfied and have learnt so so so so so much ! JUST WOW ! Loved the curriculum, the way it was presented and even the assignments were amazing !

By Kathryn

May 9, 2020

What better way to spend 7 weeks in lock down during the Covid19 pandemic! A very interesting course with great material in the form of video lectures, readings, bonus videos, optional readings and even bonus material such as "Hang-outs". The discussion forum is a really helpful way of getting peer "classmate" insight and having done several online courses/training in my time I can say lecturer Scott Plous has mastered distance/online learning lecturing! A highly recommended course, thank you.

By Ludmila S

Jul 24, 2020

I got a great experience with joining this course. The course is conducted really great. Professor Plous conducted the course in interesting manner. I should thank for Coursera and Wesleyan University for giving me this great opportunity. I highly recommend this course, who interested in Social Psycology. This gave me a lot of knowledge and I had different experience. And also I should thank my peers who review my assignments. Finally, again I thank everyone. Keep learning. Have a great one.

By Stephanie H

This was such a great first course to take with Coursera. Scott Plous's course is perfection. Maybe a little too much reading, but I'm glad it was that way and forced me to read so much. A great amount of humor and personality so that the lectures weren't boring at all. Very interesting stuff and I'm so happy I took it. The perfect professor to teach this course to the masses!

The ONLY thing I would change are the slides during the lectures. The contrasting colors on the screen hurt my eyes.

By Zach W

Jul 21, 2020

One of the best courses I have taken online, without a doubt. The coursework is planned perfectly, and each week covers the objectives well. There are no gaps in the teaching such that it is easy to progress through the weeks. Scott Plous is an excellent professor in the way that he planned this course. I have learnt so much about social psychology, and is able to see theories learnt from this course being applied in my everyday life, such as attribution and persuasion. Highly recommended!

By Leen A

Aug 4, 2020

I would strictly recommend this course! believe me, you will love it! It has made a big change in my life, my English language, and how I contact people on a daily basis. Even though you might not understand it thoroughly at the beginning, you would rewind videos and never get enough of it the more you proceed with units. Simple, easy, and crucial all at once! Thanks to professor Mr.Plous. I still read the attached readings even after I've finished the course and claimed my certificate.

By Komal D

Jun 20, 2020

This was my first experience on this platform and I absolutely loved it. I loved Professor Scott's friendly approach to the students and how vibrantly he explained the concepts using different resources. The mentors(on the forums) were also very helpful and friendly. I would definetly recommend this course to anyone interested in Psychology or just someone who wants to learn about the reasons behind many social behaviours. This platform really made my quarantined time very productive.

By M E

Jun 9, 2020

Wonderful class! With brilliant understanding in the field of Social Psychology by an eminent professor, who takes all the effort to make sure that all the details are provided. Provides significant knowledge and insights in an Interactive, fun and interesting way. I'm now really different from this MOOC by definitely one of the best professors, especially in terms of knowledge transmission! Fantastic experience from beginning to end.

Special Thanks to Prof Scott Plous and your team!

By Venjie N O

Jul 8, 2020

By far, the most rewarding course I've ever taken in Coursera. In terms of the wealth of knowledge I've taken away, this course allowed me to look into my self and do self-evaluation of my actions, perceptions, and values. The course was stringent, but everything's worth it. Thank you, Professor! And also thank you, Coursera, for making this course gratis amidst this pandemic for people like myself who cannot afford to pay. Many, many thanks, and lots of love from the Philippines!

By Alpana H

Oct 23, 2020

I can't express it in words how happy I am after qualifying this course. Prof. Scott Plous I would never forget you and your lectures. I would definitely recommend my friends to take the social psychology class. I gained immense knowledge after completing my course, looking forward to learn more about social psychology. Thanks Coursera and everyone out there who helped and guided me throughout the class especially to the teaching staffs and the mentors, my regards. THANK YOU!

By Jaja K

Jul 13, 2020

I would like to thank Prof Plous for making this course not only interesting but very interactive despite being an online course, I never felt like there was any hindrance to learning. The assignments were particularly engaging and one can see that a lot of thought, consideration and creativity has gone into making this course meaningful for everyone interested in social psychology. Thank you, Professor, for your contribution, I really like your approach and the way you teach.

By Richard H

May 14, 2020

I rate this course as outstanding. It is well organized and enables the student to achieve the course objectives. Professor Plous deserves the highest marks. His presentation is clear and engaging. His selected readings and videos complement the course and reinforce the material in his lectures. This is not a course for the faint of heart. You must listen to the lectures and take notes, and read the readings and take notes. This is a serious course in social psychology.

By Wong Z S G

Prof Scott really put in a lot of effort in making this course an interactive and resourceful one. I can see the hard work he had put in and I really appreciate it. This course is full of resources and interesting videos for learning. The discussion forum is active too! This course requires time and effort because there are assignments (50%) and only one test at the end of the entire course (50%). If you like to learn more about social psychology, this is the course for you!

By Jiang Z

Aug 11, 2020

I was completely mesmerized by social phychology and particularly Professor Scott Plous's fantastic course. I would be lying if I said it was easy to complete the course or to fully understand some theories, and yet it was nothing short of fun, extremely helpful and certainly worth the time and energy. Highly recommended to anyone who is curious about something like how people think, behave and influence, or to anyone who may just want to be a better person, just like me.

By Marieta C

Oct 6, 2020

I wanted to give the course 10 stars out of five.

The most interesting, well-presented and rich in additional material course. I am sure I will watch some of the videos over and over again as well as the interviews with prominent psychologists.

I am already applying the new terminology all the time - explaining things to my husband ( sometimes he finds it overwhelming but says nothing)

Best of all courses I completed ( am on Coursera)

Highly recommend!