Back to Social Psychology

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Social Psychology by Wesleyan University

Ever wonder why people do what they do? This course—which includes more than $1,000 of video and reading materials—offers some answers based on the latest research from social psychology. Students taking the course for a Certificate will also receive free membership in Social Psychology Network (SocialPsychology.org). COURSE DESCRIPTION FROM PROFESSOR PLOUS: Each of us is dealt a different hand in life, but we all face similar questions when it comes to human behavior: What leads us to like one person and dislike another? How do conflicts and prejudices develop, and how can they be reduced? Can psychological research help protect the environment, and if so, how? This course offers a brief introduction to classic and contemporary social psychology, covering topics such as decision making, persuasion, group behavior, personal attraction, and factors that promote health and well-being. Our focus will be on surprising, entertaining, and intriguing research findings that are easy to apply in daily life. The course will also draw from the websites of Social Psychology Network, the world's largest online community devoted to social psychology. I hope you'll join me for this course, have fun, and learn some useful information that enriches your life....

IV

Jun 13, 2020

Very interesting course, tons of great material. Of all the courses I have taken so far in Coursera, this is one of the few that has pushed me to focus on the material we were going over-great course.

PM

Aug 16, 2020

Professor Plous made me understand the lessons because he explained well all the lessons, and he provided enough information about the Social Psychology. More power to Coursera and Professor Plous :)

101 - 125 of 1,223 Reviews for Social Psychology

By Kathryn

May 09, 2020

What better way to spend 7 weeks in lock down during the Covid19 pandemic! A very interesting course with great material in the form of video lectures, readings, bonus videos, optional readings and even bonus material such as "Hang-outs". The discussion forum is a really helpful way of getting peer "classmate" insight and having done several online courses/training in my time I can say lecturer Scott Plous has mastered distance/online learning lecturing! A highly recommended course, thank you.

By Ludmila S

Jul 24, 2020

I got a great experience with joining this course. The course is conducted really great. Professor Plous conducted the course in interesting manner. I should thank for Coursera and Wesleyan University for giving me this great opportunity. I highly recommend this course, who interested in Social Psycology. This gave me a lot of knowledge and I had different experience. And also I should thank my peers who review my assignments. Finally, again I thank everyone. Keep learning. Have a great one.

By Stephanie H

This was such a great first course to take with Coursera. Scott Plous's course is perfection. Maybe a little too much reading, but I'm glad it was that way and forced me to read so much. A great amount of humor and personality so that the lectures weren't boring at all. Very interesting stuff and I'm so happy I took it. The perfect professor to teach this course to the masses!

The ONLY thing I would change are the slides during the lectures. The contrasting colors on the screen hurt my eyes.

By Zach W

Jul 21, 2020

One of the best courses I have taken online, without a doubt. The coursework is planned perfectly, and each week covers the objectives well. There are no gaps in the teaching such that it is easy to progress through the weeks. Scott Plous is an excellent professor in the way that he planned this course. I have learnt so much about social psychology, and is able to see theories learnt from this course being applied in my everyday life, such as attribution and persuasion. Highly recommended!

By Leen A

Aug 04, 2020

I would strictly recommend this course! believe me, you will love it! It has made a big change in my life, my English language, and how I contact people on a daily basis. Even though you might not understand it thoroughly at the beginning, you would rewind videos and never get enough of it the more you proceed with units. Simple, easy, and crucial all at once! Thanks to professor Mr.Plous. I still read the attached readings even after I've finished the course and claimed my certificate.

By Komal D

Jun 20, 2020

This was my first experience on this platform and I absolutely loved it. I loved Professor Scott's friendly approach to the students and how vibrantly he explained the concepts using different resources. The mentors(on the forums) were also very helpful and friendly. I would definetly recommend this course to anyone interested in Psychology or just someone who wants to learn about the reasons behind many social behaviours. This platform really made my quarantined time very productive.

By M E

Jun 09, 2020

Wonderful class! With brilliant understanding in the field of Social Psychology by an eminent professor, who takes all the effort to make sure that all the details are provided. Provides significant knowledge and insights in an Interactive, fun and interesting way. I'm now really different from this MOOC by definitely one of the best professors, especially in terms of knowledge transmission! Fantastic experience from beginning to end.

Special Thanks to Prof Scott Plous and your team!

By Venjie N O

Jul 08, 2020

By far, the most rewarding course I've ever taken in Coursera. In terms of the wealth of knowledge I've taken away, this course allowed me to look into my self and do self-evaluation of my actions, perceptions, and values. The course was stringent, but everything's worth it. Thank you, Professor! And also thank you, Coursera, for making this course gratis amidst this pandemic for people like myself who cannot afford to pay. Many, many thanks, and lots of love from the Philippines!

By Jaja K

Jul 14, 2020

I would like to thank Prof Plous for making this course not only interesting but very interactive despite being an online course, I never felt like there was any hindrance to learning. The assignments were particularly engaging and one can see that a lot of thought, consideration and creativity has gone into making this course meaningful for everyone interested in social psychology. Thank you, Professor, for your contribution, I really like your approach and the way you teach.

By Richard H

May 14, 2020

I rate this course as outstanding. It is well organized and enables the student to achieve the course objectives. Professor Plous deserves the highest marks. His presentation is clear and engaging. His selected readings and videos complement the course and reinforce the material in his lectures. This is not a course for the faint of heart. You must listen to the lectures and take notes, and read the readings and take notes. This is a serious course in social psychology.

By Wong Z S G

Prof Scott really put in a lot of effort in making this course an interactive and resourceful one. I can see the hard work he had put in and I really appreciate it. This course is full of resources and interesting videos for learning. The discussion forum is active too! This course requires time and effort because there are assignments (50%) and only one test at the end of the entire course (50%). If you like to learn more about social psychology, this is the course for you!

By Jiang Z

Aug 11, 2020

I was completely mesmerized by social phychology and particularly Professor Scott Plous's fantastic course. I would be lying if I said it was easy to complete the course or to fully understand some theories, and yet it was nothing short of fun, extremely helpful and certainly worth the time and energy. Highly recommended to anyone who is curious about something like how people think, behave and influence, or to anyone who may just want to be a better person, just like me.

By Marieta C

Sep 22, 2020

I wanted to give the course 10 stars out of five.

The most interesting, well-presented and rich in additional material course. I am sure I will watch some of the videos over and over again as well as the interviews with prominent psychologists.

I am already applying the new terminology all the time - explaining things to my husband ( sometimes he finds it overwhelming but says nothing)

Best of all courses I completed ( am on Coursera)

Highly recommend!

Prof. Plous, thank you!

By Erma A

Jul 14, 2020

Professor Prous was very engaging and displayed and ongoing passion for his work. I especially appreciated the more in-depth review of the Stanford Prison Experiment and the actual footage of this experiment, which I had not seen before. Great job!

I did not complete the assignments and chose to leave the course after reviewing all videos and readings but this was a choice based on my current life and does not reflect on the excellence of his course or the professor.

By Sonali B

Aug 24, 2020

Glad to have found this course on Coursera. Dedicating one hour post dinner each day has been a whole new learning experience. Thanks to Prof. Plous for enriching lectures, case-study based learnings and several social experiments!

Adding to the bag is a new lens to view societies, behaviours, institutions, situations and also self. I highly recommend this course to everyone interested in psychology.

It was a sheer joy to learn and be part of a diverse online community!

By Alvaro S

May 12, 2020

In my opinion, one of the most interesting MOOCs. Professor Scott Plous delivers the lectures with knowledge, empathy and humour. The resources are fantastic and most of the assignments are very enjoyable.

As constructive criticism I would suggest to have more optional assignments for the honours and change some questions in the final exam, lowering its weight towards the final grade.

Doing the #CompassionDay Assignment was one of the highlights.

Very highly recomended

By Jovin D

An engaging, thought-provoking, well structured and fun course that has helped me gain a new perspective towards many social institutions and social issues. I took this course simply out of curiosity, with no prior experience in this field and it has been a very rewarding personal experience to say the least. Being a professional engineer, this course may not add much to my carrier directly, but certainly will have a lasting influence on my outlook towards life.

By Satwik Y

Apr 29, 2020

I am so happy that I took the decision to pursue this wonderful course. I got to know a lot of things about human behavior and I can't wait to put that approach into action in my real life. It was a joy listening to Professor Scott Plous talk about different aspects in-depth and it made the course extra interesting. If you are still wondering to pursue this course or not, I would say not to waste even a single extra second and go for it! You are gonna love it!

By S. M A R

Apr 20, 2020

First i would like to thank coursera and professor scott plous for providing a brilliant course for the passionate students like me who love psychology a lot and once again thanks for my tutor professor scott plous for teaching the concept in an unique way that i have not experienced before . The videos were not usual it is extraordinary content made with huge effort and to conclude i had a great experience in studying social psychology along with my peers.

By J-Man

Aug 15, 2019

This by far the most comprehensive course I have taken on Coursera. A rich and highly detailed study of many issues in social psychology that were constantly surprising andd interesting. The course material features great additions of text and video that really help you get to grips with the topics. Finally the weekly lectures are always understandable and professionally made by the tutor. I recommend this course to anyone interested in the topic. Thank you.

By Feyzullah E

Feb 25, 2019

This is a great course. I have been reading popular Social Psychology books for the last couple of years. This course put the field in perspective for me. It is so rich with concepts, examples, reading materials, prominent people hangouts. Always interesting, Professor Plous obviously made a very conscious effort to create a course with meaningful and fun content. I would recommend this course to anyone with a slight interest in human behavior. Thumbs up!

By Peter B

I really enjoyed this course as well as finding it very useful. The lecturer, Scott Plous was very engaging and was able to sum up complex concepts in ways that made them easier to understand. He also had a good sense of humour which helped me keep on schedule with the videos. I would thoroughly recommend this course if you want a thorough introduction to important findings in social psychology, many of which will be relevant to everyday life.

By Marika C

Apr 28, 2020

The course was very interesting. Professor Scott Plous was very informative and engaging. Guest lecturers and external video resources, further enhanced the content of the course. The course assignments also made participants interactive. The topics covered allowed participants to understand the reason for our behavior and actions. I highly recommend the course if you want to have a deeper understanding and appreciation on human behaviors.

By Muzamil A

Jun 18, 2020

Ma Shaa Allah this course is very amazing and having fun to watch its videos on big platform of Coursera.I'm very happy that I have about to completing this wonderful Course.This course "Social psychology" I recommend to all beginner students who want to learn psychology in real meaning.

I'm very very thankful of sir Scott Plous and WESLEYAN UNIVERSITY for bringing a fantastic course for us on big a platform of Coursera.

Once again thanks❤

By Alfonsus G

Jul 08, 2020

Social Psychology made me learn various things about the human facts that turned out to be very unique and different from what I had known before. Realizing this uniqueness and increasing the critical mindset in responding to social phenomena I had gained during my study in this course. I hope this course has a specialization, and if there is I will be very happy to enroll in specialization in this field. I highly recommend this course.