Back to Introduction to solar cells

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to solar cells by Technical University of Denmark (DTU)

How do solar cells work, why do we need, and how can we measure their efficiency? These are just some of the questions Introduction to solar cells tackles. Whether you are looking for general insight in this green technology or your ambition is to pursue a career in solar, “Introduction to Solar Cells” is an excellent starting point. The course is a tour through the fundamental disciplines including solar cell history, why we need solar energy, how solar cells produce power, and how they work. During the course we cover mono- and multi-crystalline solar cells, thin film solar cells, and new emerging technologies. The course includes hands-on exercises using virtual instruments, interviews with field experts, and a comprehensive collection of material on solar cells. At the end of the course you will have gained a fundamental understanding of the field. This will allow you to identify the most interesting or relevant aspects to be pursued in your future studies or in your professional career....

AP

Dec 12, 2017

Very concise and to the point. Stable and calm teaching. Was my first foray into renewable energy and absolutely loved it. The course instructor was brilliant and had a stable command over the topic.

PM

Dec 27, 2019

This is the first coursera course I have taken and the first I have completed. It is an interesting topic and the format was great for getting an understanding of solar cell technology. good stuff.

1 - 25 of 246 Reviews for Introduction to solar cells

By Namitha N

Oct 25, 2017

It's really helpful for the beginners as the basics has been explained crystal clear as well as has given brief overview of the advanced technologies in the field of solar cells.

By Andrew M

Jan 30, 2018

A good balance of technical and theoretical. While realistic, the hopeful outlook was appreciated. I have a much better understanding of solar cells and their application now.

By Hoda D

Dec 17, 2019

Introduction to solar cells: well structured course, easy to follow, and direct to the point

First, I would like to thank M. Morten V. Madsen for this course. It is really as intended to be, an introduction to solar cells.

The course is very well structured. The explanations of M. Morten V. Madsen are very direct to the point and easy to follow. I liked also the videos/interviews integrated in the course, with the other researchers and specialists in the domain.

At the end of the course, I have a good general knowledge about different solar cells technologies. Learning how to make simple but basic calculations of the output power and the needed area of the PV cells was very interesting and useful to me also.

I would just like to suggest if you can add more exercises (or a link to somewhere) to practice more on calculating the output power, the needed PV areas, etc.

By Federico G

Jun 17, 2018

I work in the field and I enrolled in this class to fill some gaps and double check my overall knowledge of the solar industry. I must say I'm very happy I did it, it gave me a good basic understanding but most importantly I now have the tools I need to satisfy my curiosity and study some of the topics more in deep. The class was very well taught, even if I must admit that in order to get meet the deadlines I had to run over some of the extra material very fast, but at least I know where to study when I need it.

By Erik Y S A

Sep 03, 2018

This course has helped me to know the first photovoltaic solar technologies. second and third generation and the processes carried out for its frabrication.

It has allowed me to understand the principle of operation of a photovoltaic solar cell; my knowledge in electronics and physics has increased.

Thanks to the team of the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) and Professor Morten Vesterager Madsen for the guidance and knowledge provided.

This course is 100% recommended

By SILVESTRE P I P

Dec 05, 2017

I HAVE ENJOYED A LOT OF THIS COURSE AND OBTAINED INFORMATION THAT WILL BE VERY USEFUL IN MY CAREER AND IN THE PROJECTS THAT I AM GOING TO DEVELOP AS AN INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT. I HOPE TO BE ABLE TO CONTINUE TO LEARN AND TO BE TRAINED WITH THESE IMPORTANT COURSES THAT COURSERA MAKES AVAILABLE TO THOSE WHO WISH. I THANK SINCERELY TO MR MORTEN AND HIS TEAM FOR THE WHOLE ENGAGEMENT PUT TO TRANSMIT HIS KNOWLEDGE AND I WISH YOU MANY SUCCESS IN YOUR FUTURE ACTIVITIES.

By Aleksandra V

Sep 20, 2019

It has been a highly enjoyable course! The information is given easily and smoothly, with all sorts of illustrations and explanations, understandable for a person of any educational background. A student is not overwhelmed with too many details, but links to additional resources are humbly listed at the end of the module, so you get inspired to dig deeper. I can hardly recall the last time I studied with such enjoyment. Thank you guys, you are amazing <3

By Vinay D

May 17, 2018

I must congratulate the course designer, the teachers and the mentors who has really worked hard to attend to all the queries during the course and help in faster and deeper understanding of the subject. I feel much more confident about the subject (Solar Cell) and can face any query related to it.

I wish good luck to all the teaching team and the trainees who enroll for the course.

With best regards

Vinay Datta (from India)

By Mahadeo S

Dec 29, 2017

Course has covered all the kind of solar cell technologies and their advantages and opportunities for further improvement. With this course my knowledge in solar has really improved lot and will help me in many ways. My heartfelt compliments to all the associated professionals and professors for bringing out this new subject very well. Thank you so much for the opportunity I got through Coursera for this learning..

By Andrés R T

Apr 07, 2019

Congratulations and thanks to the DTU teachers envolved in the course specially to Dr. Morten V. Madsen, regarding my industrial engineering background I found the course quite interesting and I would recommend it to anyone interested in photovoltaics. I would encourage the DTU teachers team to continue with this labour and propose additional courses including more complex and real cases for problem solving.

By Ivan S

Mar 03, 2018

Really interesting course! I love how professor really tried to explain everything and made sure that we don't lose our attention because of not understanding something. I would really reccomend it to everybody. It is really helpful and everybody can learn a lot about this emerging technology which will be one of the most seen ones in the future. Special thanks to professor who made it really beautifully!

By Morten M

Sep 18, 2017

A great course with great emphasis on thorough explanations and a good balance between video and reading material. I really enjoyed the use of virtual instruments to enhance the learning experience.

I can highly recommend the course if you have an interest in solar cell technology. There are great resources available and the quiz feedback is truly helpful with relevant help and hints. A++

By Mario

Sep 15, 2017

I really enjoyed this course, the video explanation were really clear and when I had any doubt the written explanation always helped me. Good structure and not so much time necessary to complete it so you can take the course even if you are occupied with other tasks. I'd really like to thank Morten about his job, as well as the other people that has appeared.

¡Recomiendo este curso!

By Rahul T

Aug 31, 2018

This course was very useful and interesting as I learned about all the basics of solar cell technology, how it works, current market scenario, production methods of various types of cells, current research and development and the upcoming future aspects of Solar cell technology. It certainly improved my knowledge about solar energy to a large extent.

By Kunting C

Mar 03, 2018

I enjoyed this very short introduction to photovoltaic technology. Even though I'm a physicist, this is a topic that is not often discussed in typical college courses and the instructor has made the important details available here. I also appreciated the hands-on approach with the simulated solar cells and links to additional information.

By Aniruddha T

Oct 15, 2017

I simply loved this course. This course provides enough details for anyone to begin in the solar engineering field. Morten has provided enough additional resources for anyone to get indepth insight into various concepts.

I am a structural Engineer, and yet I was able to grasp most of the concepts provided by the instructor.

By Ushnish D T

Sep 21, 2018

I am very glad I took up this course from Coursera. The contents and the study material of this course was pretty clear and to the point. It helped me gain a lot of knowledge through quizzes and illustrative videos. I would surely recommend this course to other people.

By Marianna N

Dec 16, 2018

It is a well-structured and implemented course that give a very good introduction to the solar cells history, technology and theory. I like the diversity of the materials - video, reading, external videos - and the presentation of the topics by several experts.

By Juan P R G

Feb 23, 2019

Such an amazing and interesting course, me as electrical engineering student learned a lot about what it probable could be the future ways to produce energy, I'm so pleased with this great knowledge of the solar cells and new technologies, thanks teacher!

By Labis K

Jan 05, 2018

A very good course, which really enlightened me about solar cells and general production and commercializing issues. I would love to continue on more in depth analysis though, regarding use of PVs and PV parks, their connection to the power grid and so on.

By NGUYEN V N N

Jan 24, 2018

I have found this course very interesting and fast paced. After this course, I have a high level understanding of the various advantages and disadvantages of the commonly used solar cell. I will use this information to propose solar cell at my workplace.

By javier h

Nov 23, 2018

He encontrado el curso muy interesante, conciso con lo que se explica y a la vez profundizando un poco en cada tema, lo suficiente. También resume y queda claro todos los temas entre el soporte de video y de lectura. Me ha gustado mucho. Gracias!

By Niyor S

Sep 15, 2018

It's a really great course to understand solar cell technologies. The content goes through the history os solar cells and goes various solar cell technologies. The course covers both the technical and economic aspects of solar cell technologies.

By Agung A

Feb 26, 2018

The course provided me with basic knowledge of how solar cells works. This was a good starting course for anyone who wishes to both pursue deep technical understanding of solar cells, and gain adequate knowledge regarding solar cells.