Back to Introduction to solar cells

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to solar cells by Technical University of Denmark (DTU)

How do solar cells work, why do we need, and how can we measure their efficiency? These are just some of the questions Introduction to solar cells tackles. Whether you are looking for general insight in this green technology or your ambition is to pursue a career in solar, “Introduction to Solar Cells” is an excellent starting point. The course is a tour through the fundamental disciplines including solar cell history, why we need solar energy, how solar cells produce power, and how they work. During the course we cover mono- and multi-crystalline solar cells, thin film solar cells, and new emerging technologies. The course includes hands-on exercises using virtual instruments, interviews with field experts, and a comprehensive collection of material on solar cells. At the end of the course you will have gained a fundamental understanding of the field. This will allow you to identify the most interesting or relevant aspects to be pursued in your future studies or in your professional career....

AP

Dec 12, 2017

Very concise and to the point. Stable and calm teaching. Was my first foray into renewable energy and absolutely loved it. The course instructor was brilliant and had a stable command over the topic.

PM

Dec 27, 2019

This is the first coursera course I have taken and the first I have completed. It is an interesting topic and the format was great for getting an understanding of solar cell technology. good stuff.

176 - 200 of 244 Reviews for Introduction to solar cells

Apr 10, 2019

ff

By Santiago A

Oct 06, 2017

A great course for stepping in into solar power technology. The use of virtual instruments and the explanatory videos of Mr. Madsen and other scientists of the DTU are excellent resources to introduce and/or reinforce the concepts. The course is well designed and keeps you interested at most of the time.

Overall, I think this course is well organized, the content is clear and the use of didactic resources keeps it interesting. Also there are external links to more technical information. I enjoyed this course and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in this topic. I recommend to have some basic knowledge of electric behaviour of materials, circuits (Kirchoff, diodes), radiation and crystal structure for better understanding.

I would have liked for this course to go into more detail regarding the drawbacks of an intermitent energy production and the cost and energy required for the solution or minimization (eg. backup systems, accumulation). Also I think that it goes into too much detail regarding production of polymer solar cells, and the information of the emerging solar cells technologies (dye sensitized, quantum dot, perovskite) is poor and incomplete.

By Mohith S

Dec 28, 2017

I am an Undergraduate student in Physics, of budding interest in Photovoltaics. I really enjoyed the course from day one till the end, being the instructor very kind and pleasing to the students introducing the fundamental concepts in a very novel manner, building it block-by-block. Also, the additional reading resources which were attached at the end of each module was really interesting and I can feel the excitement of going through the documentaries and the article references cited by the tutor. I was truly amazed by the potential of PV industry, which is portrayed in an exhaustive manner by the tutor. The course serves as a motivation to me to further enhance my knowledge on PVs, and I hope you will enjoy the course, if you're really,really motivated and pursuing a sustainable way of life/combating against Global warming via. Energy alternatives, specific to Photovoltaics. Free(!) Energy :)

By Julia A L

Sep 12, 2017

This course introduced me to many different types of technologies out that are out there- especially emerging technologies that are not on the market yet. The beginning of the course is very heavy on science and math, which I think helped me understand how solar cells really work and proved that solar energy has a great potential. Be prepared to do many calculations. Later in the course, there is a lot of information to memorize. I think that the last lectures go into too much into detail on polymer solar cells and how they are made. These details might only be useful if you work in a lab or in manufacturing and would be better as optional material. Nevertheless, this course did leave me with a solid foundation to build on. I may or may not take the course on organic solar cells (also by DTU) after this.

By Alexey S

May 30, 2019

Very good course with a wide coverage of the topic. The information delivery is a bit dry and the level of detail/complexity of the material is uneven (ranging from things anyone will understand right off the bat to topics where you might want to check some electronics and chemistry basics first), so it's not "get excited about the topic because of the course", it's "get exited about the topic beforehand, then join the course to learn about things you were curious about already". All-in-all, I thoroughly enjoyed the course as it put a lot of segregated pieces of knowledge and sometimes even assumptions in my head into something much more structured and concise.

By Sanjay P

Oct 12, 2017

The Introduction to solar cells course provides all resources needed to explore and dive into the fascinating field of solar energy conversion. The course addresses and embraces most important issues relevant to solar energy harvesting in a most interesting and comprehensive manner. Congratulations and thanks to DTU and course conductors, subject experts, researchers and everybody associated with the course.