Back to Introduction to solar cells

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Introduction to solar cells by Technical University of Denmark (DTU)

How do solar cells work, why do we need, and how can we measure their efficiency? These are just some of the questions Introduction to solar cells tackles. Whether you are looking for general insight in this green technology or your ambition is to pursue a career in solar, “Introduction to Solar Cells” is an excellent starting point. The course is a tour through the fundamental disciplines including solar cell history, why we need solar energy, how solar cells produce power, and how they work. During the course we cover mono- and multi-crystalline solar cells, thin film solar cells, and new emerging technologies. The course includes hands-on exercises using virtual instruments, interviews with field experts, and a comprehensive collection of material on solar cells. At the end of the course you will have gained a fundamental understanding of the field. This will allow you to identify the most interesting or relevant aspects to be pursued in your future studies or in your professional career....

AP

Dec 12, 2017

Very concise and to the point. Stable and calm teaching. Was my first foray into renewable energy and absolutely loved it. The course instructor was brilliant and had a stable command over the topic.

CC

Apr 16, 2018

I have B.Sc and M.Sc in mechanical engineering and I will say that I'm really happy with taking this course.\n\nAs its name, the course provides a great introduction to solar cell technology.

176 - 200 of 222 Reviews for Introduction to solar cells

By LUIS C J

Aug 27, 2019

I definitely recomend this course to those who need introductory knowledge of solar cells.

By Pradeep n

Sep 01, 2019

the course is good but numerical part is sometimes hard.

By Miguel A

Sep 11, 2019

For me the course was important because it addresses various types of cells, and I also learned how organic cells are made.

Feb 16, 2019

Very interesting topic, very good selection of materials, but he exercises and quizzes were just to simple. At least for me.

By Eugene T B

Feb 18, 2019

Solid introduction into the world of solar cells! Nothing was taught to great depth, but as a general overview of the history, basic calculations, and production methods, the course does a great job.

By Venkateswaran K N

Nov 30, 2018

Course gives an excellent overview to complete novices. Would recommend to learner's like me who are not in the solar field, looking to expand their knowledge.

By Mohamed E

Aug 25, 2018

It is one of the most amazing courses in this field i am sure you will gain a lot of values through this course

By Raju B

Oct 08, 2018

Nice one

By Andrés F C B

Nov 08, 2017

The course is very interesting and present a useful way to understand the behavior and fabrication of solar cell through different technologies.

By Julia A L

Sep 12, 2017

This course introduced me to many different types of technologies out that are out there- especially emerging technologies that are not on the market yet. The beginning of the course is very heavy on science and math, which I think helped me understand how solar cells really work and proved that solar energy has a great potential. Be prepared to do many calculations. Later in the course, there is a lot of information to memorize. I think that the last lectures go into too much into detail on polymer solar cells and how they are made. These details might only be useful if you work in a lab or in manufacturing and would be better as optional material. Nevertheless, this course did leave me with a solid foundation to build on. I may or may not take the course on organic solar cells (also by DTU) after this.

By Santiago A

Oct 06, 2017

A great course for stepping in into solar power technology. The use of virtual instruments and the explanatory videos of Mr. Madsen and other scientists of the DTU are excellent resources to introduce and/or reinforce the concepts. The course is well designed and keeps you interested at most of the time.

Overall, I think this course is well organized, the content is clear and the use of didactic resources keeps it interesting. Also there are external links to more technical information. I enjoyed this course and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in this topic. I recommend to have some basic knowledge of electric behaviour of materials, circuits (Kirchoff, diodes), radiation and crystal structure for better understanding.

I would have liked for this course to go into more detail regarding the drawbacks of an intermitent energy production and the cost and energy required for the solution or minimization (eg. backup systems, accumulation). Also I think that it goes into too much detail regarding production of polymer solar cells, and the information of the emerging solar cells technologies (dye sensitized, quantum dot, perovskite) is poor and incomplete.

By isaac o

m

e

By Ilyas E G

Jun 10, 2018

Good introductory course on solar cells. Would have been interesting to perhaps have a week on the integration of solar as an energy resource in the grid. Overall the basics covered made me further understand limitations and advantages beyond the obvious.

By Alberto T

Sep 09, 2017

This is only one more step to my goals on the Sustainable Architecture career

By ahmed g a s

Oct 31, 2017

very good course

By Raghavendra K R

Nov 20, 2017

I have learnt lot of things about solar cells.

By Maksym K

Nov 26, 2017

Course is really good introduction to renewable energy and understandings of solar cells. I would like to say thanks for all people who made it. For me, I would like also to include more review of current renewable energy market (for example which companies are doing what; mentions about Tesla's powerwall was interesting and I would like to hear more about solutions like that).

By Velan K

Jun 07, 2018

It is a very good course if you would like to learn about the basics of solar cells, their types, manufacturing processes etc. The course consists of both calculations and theoretical concepts of solar technology. At the end of the course you will have the sufficient knowledge on the evolution of solar cells and what is expected in the future.

By Mohith S

Dec 28, 2017

I am an Undergraduate student in Physics, of budding interest in Photovoltaics. I really enjoyed the course from day one till the end, being the instructor very kind and pleasing to the students introducing the fundamental concepts in a very novel manner, building it block-by-block. Also, the additional reading resources which were attached at the end of each module was really interesting and I can feel the excitement of going through the documentaries and the article references cited by the tutor. I was truly amazed by the potential of PV industry, which is portrayed in an exhaustive manner by the tutor. The course serves as a motivation to me to further enhance my knowledge on PVs, and I hope you will enjoy the course, if you're really,really motivated and pursuing a sustainable way of life/combating against Global warming via. Energy alternatives, specific to Photovoltaics. Free(!) Energy :)

By LJ

Jan 02, 2018

awesome. I really like the practice quizzes.

By Sanjay P

Oct 12, 2017

The Introduction to solar cells course provides all resources needed to explore and dive into the fascinating field of solar energy conversion. The course addresses and embraces most important issues relevant to solar energy harvesting in a most interesting and comprehensive manner. Congratulations and thanks to DTU and course conductors, subject experts, researchers and everybody associated with the course.

By phelipe

Jan 06, 2018

Great course!

By Patrick I

Jun 04, 2018

Good information and not to hard things are introduced

By Malin A

Dec 04, 2017

I very good introduction to the topic! Good quizes and a good mix of video and complementary text.

By Wong Y

Nov 16, 2017

This course is really good and informative although I do not really understand certain parts clearly as I am not familiar with the technical terms used.