Back to Solar Energy Basics

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Solar Energy Basics by The State University of New York

This course gives you an introduction to the fundamentals of solar power as it applies to solar panel system installations. You will learn to compare solar energy to other energy resources and explain how solar panels, or photovoltaics (PV for short), convert sunlight to electricity. You will be able to identify the key components needed in a basic photovoltaic (solar panel) system, such as is found on a house or building, and explain the function of each component in the system. You will also learn how to calculate the electrical demand of a building, how to reduce the overall demand, and then how to design a solar panel system that can meet that annual demand at a given location. You will also compare the different types of pricing models that are being used and key regulatory considerations for grid tied systems (where a house or building is connected to the electrical grid and also generates electricity from solar panels). A capstone design project that entails both the simple audit of a building to determine demand, and a selection of components to design a solar panel system to meet that demand....

A
Jun 17, 2020

I would like to thank you and your team for this great course, I'm really appreciated, it was very helpful as starting in this field, and I will be the first one who will take all your next courses

J
Sep 26, 2020

I'm an electrical engineering student in 6th semester. In this course I learned many new things regarding, a pathway to PV specialization, special Thanks to coursera authorities and respected Sir.

76 - 100 of 622 Reviews for Solar Energy Basics

By Mariló R J

Apr 23, 2021

Un curso muy completo y muy bien explicado acerca del funcionamiento de la energía solar fotovoltaica. Con ejercicios relativamente sencillos pero que te ayudan a entender mejor cómo se diseña una instalación y cómo se determina el recurso solar en cada zona.

By VISHAL S

Oct 19, 2020

Well designed course which keeps hold of the students' interest & attention throughout the course. All the assignments were easy and relevant. The final project too was well designed to cover all the aspects of the course in a practical manner.

By Daniel T

Dec 22, 2020

Excellent course to understand the fundamentals of the renewable energy, photovoltaics and how the design a solar array system. Ideal for those interested in a career in solar energy and for those who are just starting out their careers.

By Vagner T

Apr 14, 2021

This course brings me an awesome experience. It made me improve my knowledges and come back more recognized on job market again. The content is great and also the professor! Thanks to coursera and SUNY for this perfect course.

By Craig P

Mar 1, 2021

This course did what is said it would. I had little to no experience with Solar and this course gave me the basic knowledge I was looking for in determining if this was a subject I wanted to learn more about, which indeed I do!

By Gabrielle M

Dec 20, 2021

I LOVED IT!!! Really taught me a lot about how to size a PV system for my home!!! It helped to take classroom Physics from my degree into a simulated "real world" scenario! Throughly Enjoyed the Capstone Project.

By Mateo G A

Sep 11, 2021

E​xcellent course, the perfect balance between videos and practical excersice. Prof. Neal Abrams is a great lecturer. I r​eally encourage people who want to take a inshight of the topic to enroll in this course.

By Vishwaa P

Sep 2, 2021

Great course, got many practical and commercial aspects of Solar System, curriculum is easy to follow. The thing, how to identify whether it is mono or poly crystalline is really nice and easy to follow.

By ANDRE G M C

May 16, 2021

Gran curso muy util para comprender el diseño de sistemas fotovoltaicos. Agradezco mucho las video clases con temas muy bien explicados para los que estamos iniciando en este campo de la Energía Solar

By Eduardo L

Oct 5, 2020

Aprendi mucho en este curso. Los videos explicativos del profesor hacen que todo sea de facil entendimiento. El conocimiento adquirido he podido aplicarlo en mi actual area de trabajo. Muy recomendado

By Jitendra D

Oct 5, 2020

Its very informative course about SOLAR Energy & Fundamentals of PV system Designing .

It will surly help in future for advance PV System designing .

Also I wish to work in Renewable Energy Sector.

By George H

Feb 13, 2021

This course is great. The course is well structured and covers the important points of a PV system. Moreover, this course serves as a cornerstone for anyone interested to know about PV systems.

By arvind p

May 29, 2021

Solar Energy Basics is really Simple and informative course for beginner. I am thankful to Prof. Neal for wonderful explanation each and every point related to it.

Arvind Pande (india)

By Ricardo C

Apr 19, 2021

In my opinion, the course is quite balanced and effectively allows you to acquire good basic Knowledge about photovoltaic Solar Energy. Congratulations on the initiative and sharing.

By Raymond M

Jan 18, 2021

Thew Solar Energy Basics course is exceptional. Both the content and presentation were spot on for my needs. Dr. Abrams - Thanks for the benefit of your knowledge. Ray Morris

By Akash N

Jun 25, 2021

An A+ course for beginners in the field of PV, the course explained all the key points in the most simple and concise way possible. I would definitely recommended this course.

By PANKAJ R

Nov 13, 2021

really enjoyed the training, it was tasking and challenging but well equipped. I am glad that I was able to run the training. Thanks to Dr. Nel Abrams and the entire cousera

By Yasser H J

Nov 19, 2020

The course was good as a preliminary course goes through the science and economics on a basic enough level to give an idea of Solar energy without overwhelming the students

By JOHN R B A

Nov 2, 2021

This is an excellent course for individuals interested in learning about solar PV systems. They teach you in such a way that even a newbie can understand the topics.

By Oscar T R

May 13, 2021

Good to introduce to the sector. Will need to do complementary trainings in order to have a complete vision of FV infraestructure and installations.

By Praveen K I

Aug 20, 2021

I​ have learnt many interesting things in this course. Had given me a good start to know the things related to the field of Solar PV Systems.

By Anil V

Jul 22, 2021

excellent course I have learned really new thing .

thanks to Neal Abrams professor really good work done on course content

thanks (coursera)

By Lloyd N

Jan 27, 2021

Presentations are very informative and well made; questions accurately tested learning material and capstone pulled it all together.

By Emilio H M A

Dec 19, 2021

Es muy valioso el conocimiento aquí adquirido, ya que permite contar con mas conocimiento acerca de la energia solar y sus bondades

By Sergio C S

Jul 12, 2020

Highly recommendable to get foundations of Solar Energy. Congratulations to the SUNY team, very clear learning. Thank you