Back to Spanish for Successful Communication in Healthcare Settings

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Spanish for Successful Communication in Healthcare Settings by Rice University

Welcome to Spanish for Successful Communication in Healthcare Settings! This course is structured in four modules, each one revolving on a topic related to the physician-patient interaction. Each module contains four lessons; on grammar, vocabulary, the dynamics of the spoken interaction, and aspects of sociocultural relevance. The video lessons are unlike regular “lectures” in which you are just listening. Instead, you should think of them as virtual classes where you are supposed to reflect, complete activities, and even get extra practice on your own time. The videos are a roadmap that will provide what you need to complete the activities on the student handout. Each module is followed by a 10-question quiz. It is important that you complete the lessons sequentially, as they build upon each other....

A
Sep 21, 2020

Muy buen curso, te da la realidad actual con el contexto que estamos llevando y eso te ayuda a canalizar mejor todo el aprendizaje.

LM
Jul 11, 2020

No es un curso dirigido para un nativo del idioma español, porque aprendes cosas muy mínimas.

1 - 25 of 40 Reviews for Spanish for Successful Communication in Healthcare Settings

By Cody B

I found this course to be extremely helpful and relevant for anybody going into/currently in the medical field (regardless of specific profession) that has some Spanish speaking background. It not only provides the vocabulary and grammar components of the language but also utilizes authentic recordings of real conversation of patient-provider interactions. This allows the student to get an idea of the culture, flow, and interactions that take place in a conversation in Spanish that will improve patient rapport in one's practice. I highly recommend this course, as a refresher and as a place to continue improving upon one's skills and knowledge of the Spanish language within a healthcare setting! Great course, thank you, Prof. Abad Rabat!

By Nicole F

I really enjoyed and got a lot out of this course. I used to be a Spanish medical interpreter, so I knew the vocabulary, but I gained great insight into differences between Spanish words spoken in certain Spanish speaking countries, some grammar help, and got a great review overall. The authentic audio along with the transcriptions were the most helpful parts of the course for me personally. The professor was great and spoke very clearly and descriptively and during each video. I would highly recommend this course to English speaking medical professionals or even Spanish speakers who want to learn the medical terminology. I would say this is designed for intermediate to advanced Spanish speakers.

By Ezekiel M

Apr 11, 2019

This course was amazing, and I really learned so much. I would love to see more advanced language courses.

By Leidy D R M

Jul 11, 2020

By Macarena T

Apr 23, 2019

This course is aimed at native English speakers. As a native Spanish speaker, it was somehow useful. They talked about interesting topics and issues that we should take into account to communicate effectively in healthcare settings.

By Kerlene T

Dec 23, 2018

This was a basic course for intermediate-level Spanish speakers, and would be helpful for those entering or already in the medical profession. The ideas are relevant, helpful, and simple, but most of the payoff will be seen when you actually have to talk to someone during a consultation. So, learn the vocabulary and keep in mind that everyone has a different background and expectations when you're exercising your profession.

By Laura G

Apr 17, 2020

I loved this course! It was a great review to freshen up my Spanish grammar and I learned a lot of new medical terms too, as well as strategies for communicating better in a clinical setting. The instructor is fantastic and the educational materials and videos are very well done. I highly recommend this course for intermediate or advanced Spanish speakers interested in improving their communication!

By Amanda F

Nov 14, 2019

Fantastic course. Very well structured, full of authentic recordings from healthcare settings, excellent exercises to practice and apply learning. Great balance of vocabulary, useful grammatical focus, and sociocultural communication issues. This is the way an online course (or any course, for that matter) SHOULD be! Thanks so much for the opportunity.

By Renelus P M

Mar 5, 2019

Thanks so lot for everything with that program University I learned so lot and now I have a certificate.

This is one of the best program and people can learn for their future and be professional etc.

Thanks again for your hospitality and patient.

Also, it is a good university program to acquire additional academic language and medical terminology.

By Rose M

Nov 23, 2020

Excellent, aimed at those with intermediate Spanish. Great focus on practical vocabulary, real life application of grammar, and communication techniques. It has really built my confidence and skills for using Spanish at my health care work. Thanks!

By Rita B d

Feb 17, 2019

Soy medica de cabezera, y este curso resultó muy útil e interesante para mí.

Las lecciónes eran bien estructuradas, las grabaciónes eran autenticas y me ayudaron mucho aprender el vocabulario en contexto. Espero, que voy a usar lo que aprendí aquí.

By Susan C

May 8, 2020

The Professora, Maria Victoria Abad Rabat, was an excellent teacher (with a lovely madrileño accent), and the content of the course will be very useful to me for my part-time medical interpreting. I highly recommend this course.

By Patrícia L d L V

Jun 18, 2020

Um curso didático, com uma excelente professora, com assuntos muito relevantes e úteis no contexto médico e que te inspira a estudar para sempre dar o seu melhor para o paciente. Foi incrível essa experiência. Recomendo a todos.

By Mohd. A H

Seamless mixture of language learning with the conversational concepts that any medical professional might need. I feel like I learned more than just Spanish - I learned how to contextualize my study of grammar and vocabulary.

By MPEARSALL

May 27, 2019

Dear Mrs. Abad, I truly enjoyed the course, the videos and the activities of the course were informative, practical, and well structured.

I appreciate your time.

Maria.

By Kiya S

Jul 14, 2019

This course was great! The professor was awesome and did a great job of making the course as interactive as possible even though it was a self paced course.

By Antony M

Sep 22, 2020

By Jameela R

Nov 9, 2020

Overall a very well structured course. The knowledge I have acquired will be valuable in my future endeavors.

By Amina K E

Aug 11, 2020

Muchísimas gracias, fue un buen trabajo.. lo pasé bien con usted señor Abad. Gané muchas palabras nuevas.

By Nathi C

Oct 24, 2020

I really liked the instructor and her handouts. I can go back to the handouts every time I need them.

By James T

Oct 4, 2020

Great course for the intermediate Spanish speaker, would highly recommend.

By Abigail M

Jun 7, 2020

Great content, easy to follow, and easy to work at your own pace!

By Marisha Z

Aug 25, 2020

este curso me encanto! aprendi muchisimo. Gracias a la profe!

By Andy C

Apr 22, 2020

Great teaching and very well put together course!

By Olumba N

Jul 7, 2020

Really good course. Very thorough and engaging.