Back to Sports and Society

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Sports and Society by Duke University

Sports play a giant role in contemporary society worldwide. But few of us pause to think about the larger questions of money, politics, race, sex, culture, and commercialization that surround sports everywhere. This course draws on the tools of anthropology, sociology, history, and other disciplines to give you new perspectives on the games we watch and play. It's the new and improved version of Professor Orin Starn's original "Sports and Society" for Coursera, which drew more than 40,000 students. We will focus on both popular sports like soccer (or “football,” as anyone outside America calls it), basketball, and baseball, and also lesser-known ones like mountain-climbing and fishing. You will never watch or think about sports in the same way again....

MM

Nov 12, 2016

I loved this particular course. The topics are relevant. Each topic is supported by historical facts and examples and how is it relevant in the present time. It was a great learning experience!!!

RK

Jan 14, 2017

This course tells us about how social customs and traditions have contributed to the evolution of sports and how sports has vice versa reflected the changes in social order of any age.

51 - 75 of 84 Reviews for Sports and Society

By MICHAUD

Jan 28, 2018

Ce cours était très captivant et intéressant! Merci beaucoup!

By Yash C

Nov 11, 2017

ABsolutely loved the course, Dr. Starn's words are very intricate and have taught me very well. Looking forward to more classes by him on coursera.

By ADITYA S

May 27, 2018

The course covers every aspect on which the modern sports foundation have been laid. Many thanks to Mr. Orin for sharing his knowledge to us.

By Andrew V

Apr 08, 2017

This course was very good and well structured. Professor is very professional. I get a lot inmportant information and many fun moments. Thank you so much

By Hernadi F

Sep 12, 2017

These lecture are amazing and very unique. I got new perspective about Sports particularly the rise of sport with age-by-age

By Scott S

Jun 18, 2018

Very Interesting.

By Sagar A

Sep 27, 2018

It is an excellent Course!!Great insight into one of the important aspects of sports

By Emil

Oct 27, 2018

Nice and refreshing course. I liked best the video game lecture and the book recommended.

By Lee J

Nov 09, 2018

Very insightful, and well communicated by the teacher. Very enjoyable!

By zhangzhe

Sep 22, 2018

perfect

By victor m c

May 14, 2019

c

By Thomas R

May 05, 2019

Interesting, teacher voice is fluid

By Conner C

May 06, 2019

Amazing good work Orin Star

By Priyesh S

May 31, 2019

This was a really interesting course, gives lot of insight into the various types of sports in the world, explains the science and detailed theory behind some of the worlds most popular sports, not to mention a lot of trivia and history behind the sports and how it relates to society and the various cultural relations it has all across the world.

A wonderful course and a very fun ;earning experience.

Special thanks to Professor Orin Starn and everyone at Duke University for bringing this course and making it possible. Cheers

By Jair C M F

Aug 08, 2019

The course is sublime!

By Joshua B

Aug 27, 2019

Sports and Society is tied for my favorite course that I have taken on Coursera.org. I majored in Sport Management, so I was familiar with a good portion of the materials. However, I learned new and interesting facts in the lectures and readings. Orin Starn made the lectures informative and the class very enjoyable.

By Ed G

Sep 28, 2019

I absolutely loved this course. This is my favorite course I've taken with Coursera by far. The instructor was phenomenal and relatable. I highly recommend this course.

By Timothy T

Sep 10, 2019

Very interesting and a lot of great information. Easy to pick up and learn, and get through it to broaden my knowledge of sports! Had a great time learning.

By Megan W

Sep 13, 2019

Very interesting and not too difficult.

By Tim H

Sep 13, 2019

Great course that brought to light something we watch and do everyday but without knowing the history of it. Look forward to further courses.

By Timur A

Oct 11, 2019

The best sports related course I ever had at Coursera! Fresh approach and a lot of insights! Thanks a lot, Mr. Starn!

By Tommy W

Oct 16, 2019

good

By Gerardo B P

Feb 01, 2019

Tiene una gran variedad de temáticas y la mayoría de los videos son dinámicos .

It has a great variety of topics and most of the videos are very dynamic.

By Francis B

Feb 02, 2016

Great course for sports coaches, PE teachers and anyone interested to pursue a career in sports.