Back to Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

Learner Reviews & Feedback for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python by IBM

Much of the world's data resides in databases. SQL (or Structured Query Language) is a powerful language which is used for communicating with and extracting data from databases. A working knowledge of databases and SQL is a must if you want to become a data scientist. The purpose of this course is to introduce relational database concepts and help you learn and apply foundational knowledge of the SQL language. It is also intended to get you started with performing SQL access in a data science environment. The emphasis in this course is on hands-on and practical learning . As such, you will work with real databases, real data science tools, and real-world datasets. You will create a database instance in the cloud. Through a series of hands-on labs you will practice building and running SQL queries. You will also learn how to access databases from Jupyter notebooks using SQL and Python. No prior knowledge of databases, SQL, Python, or programming is required. Anyone can audit this course at no-charge. If you choose to take this course and earn the Coursera course certificate, you can also earn an IBM digital badge upon successful completion of the course. LIMITED TIME OFFER: Subscription is only $39 USD per month for access to graded materials and a certificate....

BS

Amazing course for beginners! The entire course is well structured and has good hands-on assignments. SQL is extremely essential for Database management and fun learning so please do try this one out!

SA
Apr 22, 2020

The lessons were short and easy to follow, providing all the basics as well as a few more advanced topics, to get student quickly up-to-speed on databases and SQL and their application in D/S realm.

1 - 25 of 1,667 Reviews for Databases and SQL for Data Science with Python

By Mohamed H I

Jul 28, 2018

If you are located outside USA or Canada, don't take this course.

Because IBM cloud DB2 will not give you free account to do the lab exercises. Otherwise you have to pay 202$ to get an account.

I didn't continued the course due to this issue.

By Michael K

Apr 21, 2019

This course is more about IBM roping you into using a bloated cloud ecosystem, than it is about teaching you SQL. You will only learn DB2 stuff, and only through their cloud dashboard. This entire specialization is disappointing, but if you've made it this far, masochism may carry you through it.

By SNEHAL B

May 23, 2019

The course teaches SQL quite well. But it doesn't teach and make practice about the connection to a database and use of sql magic. Hence, its very frustrating to understand the significance of '%sql' in a Final Assignment review. I think a lot of students are facing the same problem.

Hence, it feels like- Final assignment is to check whether we can connect to the database, rather than checking our subject knowledge on SQL.

By Zhu L

Mar 21, 2019

I would've given a five-star rating gladly, if it weren't for the terrible user experience of IBM DB2 Console, which wasted 4 hours of my time trying to load three small csv files into database tables.

Apart from this "blocker bug", the course is well-organized and worth the price.

By Saurabh K

Mar 19, 2019

Horrible experience. The course is not updated. The ibm cloud function doesnt work at all. There are hardly any videos. Most of the content is just theory which you can read from anywhere. Dont waste your money.

By Maria

Jan 31, 2019

Only one star and I think it does not deserve it. On week 3 the assignment ask you to establish a connection with database and because It gives me an error for more than 3 weeks, I decided to use Forums. After a couple of dozen messages requesting for help, I received only 2 answers from the professor:

First: "Go to week 3"

Second: " Idon't see any attachment"

I have sent so many screenshots that it is ridiculous. So If you find yourself unable to connect to the database and it gives you a constant error; my suggestion is PRAY!. Please, do not cry like me in desperation after a month. Just PRAY. I think it could work... someday

By George O

Aug 21, 2020

[Reviewing the entire specialization but points are applicable for each course]

I signed up for the IBM Data Science specialization and I was genuinely excited to start it for some 4-5 weeks (I had a GCP exam coming up). I eventually started the specialization beginning of August `20 and started making my way though it and I was amazed … amazed of how much a pile of bullshit this specialization is. I made it though the first 4 courses and at the end of the SQL for data science I couldn’t take it anymore. Here’s why:

1. First and foremost, the entire specialization (all 4 courses I have taken at least) were full of typos and broken URLs which a lot of other students confirm as well. This does not speak professionalism to me but whatever, lets move on.

2. The in-video quizzes and following tests are simply ridiculous … you are expected to have memorized content word by word rather than understand thing for your own and be able to explain them. Some of the question were so far away from tech courses it is not even funny.

3. The final assignments are a total joke. We are asked to review each other which IMHO is a terrible idea since we are all just starting up. Nothing stops you from giving top marks to a bad assignments and vice versa.

4. We eventually got to the more techy part and even got code snippets and jupyter notebooks to look through but they were still bad. There was no proper order in which information was presented i.e. you would read python and seaborn code in the SQL course’s tasks even though python and matplotlib/seaborn are discussed in the following courses.

5. And my final and biggest problem with this whole specialization is that it all feel like an extended advertisement of this piece-of-dodo tech inbred excuse-of-a-software called IBM cloud. There are constants up-sells here and there how almighty IBM is and how great their cloud and IBM Watson Studio are … they are not. I had to spend 2+ hours fixing problems with jupyter notebooks and their cloud just to complete my assignments which both took me 30ish minutes. They mention open source and even though there are open source equivalents to jupyter they insist using IBM cloud. I kept having the feeling they are more focused on promoting IBM products than actually bringing quality content.

6. Now after finishing the SQL course there was a 1min survey which I gladly filled in basically letting them know their specialization if terrible and is doing more harm than good in my opinion. I even sent them a quick challenge because I do not think IBM maintains this course at all or even reads the reviews. You can see my challenge to IBM here: https://bit.ly/3geOyfb

I was very saddened by the quality of the specialization and the content and was wondering whether I should even try and finish the remaining courses but after reading some reviews on the remaining courses I figured out it was just more of the same. If you are in the same boat I would recommend the kaggle micro-courses which I will focus on starting next week.

In conclusion, I got this whole specialization for free via financial aid and I have to say even though I did not pay a dime I feel I need to be compensated by IBM and refunded real money for torturing myself with their courses.

By Youlin C

Aug 2, 2019

I can't open Db2 console on the IBM cloud, it only showed 502 Bad Gateway. It cost me more time on finding another way to finish the homework.

By aniket c

Jan 28, 2019

No live examples, no tutorial on how to navigate Db2 cloud. Maybe I was expecting too much; disappointed.

By Kshitij P

Mar 17, 2019

Although the material was clear and concise, working with IBM Db2 Cloud was a headache due to its unresponsiveness

By Zahid A

Jan 13, 2020

Basic SQL, course needs to be updated to reflect changes to IBM cloud (or better yet, don't use IBM cloud). You can find better courses on SQL on Coursera/other MOOC sites.

By imran k

Jan 9, 2020

Lot of errors and lack of guidance

By Steve O

Oct 30, 2018

The IBM cloud "service" leaves much to be desired. Multiple times I've experienced outages while I was in the middle of lab assignments. It's a paid course where they give you "free" credits to do the course work in their cloud "service." But the credits are inadequate for the labs and they constantly ask for your credit card to buy more "service." While the class is okay I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of the poor IBM cloud support.

By Tejas P

Oct 25, 2018

Practice lab assignments were excellent in reinforcing my learning, they were just the right kind of challenging. This course has been the best one in the Data Science Professional series by far.

By Badal S

By Susan A

Apr 23, 2020

By Daniel T

Jun 17, 2019

This is a great review of an important topic. If I knew how much this mattered for the advanced capstone course I would have paid more attention. As it was, I came back here frequently.

By Oritseweyinmi H A

Apr 15, 2020

This is definitely the best course so far on the IBM Data Science Professional Certificate! I have been very keen to learn about SQL and Relational Databases for a while and this course enabled me to achieve that objective, in a fun practical manner. I was challenged all the way through and cherished being able to spend time making mistakes and learning from those mistakes in the hands on lab environment.

10/10 course and if the author of this program ever decided to make another course extending from what was taught on this course, it's safe to say I will be the first to sign up!!

By Jody A K

Nov 30, 2018

Overall good course but a few typos and unclear instructions, mostly with the labs and our own 'user specific" DB2 specs which were needed for the 1st and 2nd lab - yet, clear instructions for doing so were posted several labs afterward. Labeling of individual labs (their titles/ filenames, when opened in Jupyter notebooks, did not correspond with the actual weeks in the course that the should have - wks 2 were called wks 4 and wks 3 were called wks 6) That made it a bit confusing at times. They appear to have been from a different course or earlier revision. Maybe revisit and revise this course soon for better flow. Also, please check the comments/discussion boards and address those concerns that are repeatedly coming up. Quite a few more students than just myself were stumped or confused over the same issues. Thank you.

By Ahmed A

Oct 8, 2020

I'm taking it as part of the IBM Data Science professional certificate. Course is OK for an introducion to SQL, although I thought there was too much emphasis on IBM DB2 and nothing else. Would have liked them to show us how to use another API, or how to interface with open source databases like MySQL or PostgreSQL.

I have experience in programming and debugging and therefore did not find this to bother me, but the lack of guidance on how to install missing packages or troubleshoot connexions can be really frustrating for inexperienced people. It's best you do all the assignments in an IBM environment or else you will find yourself troubleshooting for hours on end.

Getting the cvs's for the final assessment was a pain because the links to them were broken! had to search through the forums to find alternative links, which points to a lack to reactivity from the guys in not updating their course material.

That being said I learnt quite a lot from this course, more python and other databases and I would have given 4 stars.

Also, one of the reviewers said you have to pay to get access to the IBM DB2 database if you're not in the US or Canada...this is not the case anymore, did it from europe no problems.

By Sumit M

Mar 29, 2019

In case IBMER's fails to have DB console lite access, its difficult to complete the assessments, hence there should be other alternative to practice it.

By Hesam E

Jan 9, 2020

Weak representation. Full of bugs. No wonder IBM DB2 is not popular

By Sergiy T

Nov 20, 2018

Too much IBM oriented and specific.

By Pranay C

May 26, 2019

This course teaches you the basics of SQL completely unrelated to Data Science. SQL is not mentioned in any further courses in the specialization. Could have very well skipped this course from the specialization. There was not even a single assignment that involved both SQL and Data Science.

By Derek A

Apr 27, 2019

No videos for week 2, sub-queries were confusing and questions 9 and 10 on final project are very 'vague' and 'confusing' with asking questions about Area(s) when in examples and previous course work we were taught to use group by, but correct answers did not use group by.