Back to SQL for Data Science

Learner Reviews & Feedback for SQL for Data Science by University of California, Davis

As data collection has increased exponentially, so has the need for people skilled at using and interacting with data; to be able to think critically, and provide insights to make better decisions and optimize their businesses. This is a data scientist, “part mathematician, part computer scientist, and part trend spotter” (SAS Institute, Inc.). According to Glassdoor, being a data scientist is the best job in America; with a median base salary of $110,000 and thousands of job openings at a time. The skills necessary to be a good data scientist include being able to retrieve and work with data, and to do that you need to be well versed in SQL, the standard language for communicating with database systems. This course is designed to give you a primer in the fundamentals of SQL and working with data so that you can begin analyzing it for data science purposes. You will begin to ask the right questions and come up with good answers to deliver valuable insights for your organization. This course starts with the basics and assumes you do not have any knowledge or skills in SQL. It will build on that foundation and gradually have you write both simple and complex queries to help you select data from tables. You'll start to work with different types of data like strings and numbers and discuss methods to filter and pare down your results. You will create new tables and be able to move data into them. You will learn common operators and how to combine the data. You will use case statements and concepts like data governance and profiling. You will discuss topics on data, and practice using real-world programming assignments. You will interpret the structure, meaning, and relationships in source data and use SQL as a professional to shape your data for targeted analysis purposes. Although we do not have any specific prerequisites or software requirements to take this course, a simple text editor is recommended for the final project. So what are you waiting for? This is your first step in landing a job in the best occupation in the US and soon the world!...

JP

Apr 06, 2020

This course has really helped with optimizing queries that I work with everyday, enhancing my understanding of RDBMS, joins, analyzing and structuring exactly what you need and yielding those results.

AL

Aug 22, 2020

A comprehensive course that covers major aspects of query building and retrieval in a management system. The topics were delivered well and the materials/assignments were relevant for skill-building.

1401 - 1425 of 1,908 Reviews for SQL for Data Science

By N K P N

Jul 10, 2020

Please add a video in the course for instruction on installing any SQL Studio to computer. More practice exercises are needed in the course itself. Some of the videos in 3rd and 4th week were were hard to understand without proper examples. Overall a good course. Thanks!

By Juan S M Q

May 12, 2020

For some people don't care about assignments, so they don't take the time to review the work of other properly. Two of three take time and they reviews my work and the last didn't care about and he gave me a bad score! It is not fare! I took the right time to do it well

By Danli Y

Aug 24, 2020

This course is a perfect start for those who have no basis for SQL to learn basic statements and possible applications. However, the lecture videos are too short and do not provide enough examples. I have to spend much more time googling before doing any assignments.

By Burak K

Aug 13, 2020

I think the course is well designed for intorduction to sql language for data science. One more thing about the course is that I cannot open and use the sqlite. If there is a bit more information about the usage of sqlite, it will be great. Thanks for this course !

By Yousra R

Sep 24, 2020

Good lecture very helpful as for people who are new to SQL. The only thing that I would recommend is to give more explanations in quizzes. I wasted two days asking for help for the support just because i thought there was an error in the settings of the website

By Artur T

Aug 09, 2020

Very good practical exercises, while the lectures are worse. Lecturer mostly reads text written on slides, therefore learner need additionally to read some information online with more examples to have more clear picture and be ready for practical assignment.

By Saisha M

May 18, 2019

I personally found the course really helpful. I recently started working on SAS and this SQL course came in handy. I'm planning on taking a course on SAS now. I'd recommend this course to anyone who wants to get started with SQL, it's a pretty basic course.

By Julia G

May 05, 2020

The material in the course was good and very useful, clearly structured. The only comment I would give that I didnt like the way material was presented, you could feel that it was read not told and presenter was inexperienced with reading from the screen.

By Harsh K V

Jul 11, 2020

The course was very interesting and the assignments were also engaging. However, it would have been even better if Sadie would code in SQL while giving the lectures. This would have provided a better understanding of how to approach a particular problem.

By Stephen F

Apr 14, 2020

It's a great beginner level class. It only covers SQLite, which means you don't get some basic statements like WITH, which I use regularly. But I did get introduced to a few new ideas, and Sadie does a fine job emphasizing working in a thoughtful manner.

By Prabesh D

Jan 19, 2020

As someone who's completely new to SQL, I learned a lot.

However, Week 3's content on Subqueries could have been better explained.

Overall, I recommend you the course if you are new to SQL like me. If you know a bit already, this might be too easy for you.

By Hassan s

Aug 17, 2020

The exercises in the course helped give me practice for which I am giving this a 4 star.

Teaching SQL on video without real time practice was weird. Found myself going to websites like w3 schools so keep that in mind if you're considering this course.

By Mehrshad E

Feb 01, 2018

Generally a helpful course. The biggest problem I think is providing enough examples. There are many examples in the slides but the results are not provided. I think showing both codes and the results will help people to grasp the concept more easily.

By Yunlin H

Oct 03, 2020

I learnt coursera of Managing Big Data with SQL at Duke before. This course needs more practices in real cases compared with Duke. It only has basic statements on using SQLlite and simple real cases. I recommend Duke's course first then this course.

By Ken H

Oct 09, 2020

The course was good. It enhanced my knowledge of sequel.

My only disappointment was there was no immediate feedback or instruction when attempting to write scripts. Perhaps a pop up which noted common mistakes when attempting to write the script.

By RAGHAVENDRA. L H

Sep 17, 2018

Nicely instructed by Sadie St. Lawrence.

Way the things are explained with examples helped me to understand the topics better.

I felt a little more explanation on Normalization and understanding the ER diagrams would have been could have been better

By MaryAlyce S

Jan 16, 2020

Sadie is a great teacher. This course is strong on theory. I would have liked to have had direct access to the data sets that I could use with other SQL tools but did not find this limiting in learning what was taught. A good foundation.

By Ivan O

Oct 20, 2019

Very useful for me at my career moment. This is a good SQL course if you're a beginner to intermediate SQL user wanting to update or learn some SQL. But if your are already a advanced SQL user I feel the course might be too basic for you.

By Jens P

Mar 06, 2018

The videos are aweomse. I would have loved a little bit more material, e.g. a short summary of all the SQL entries discussed in the course. In addition, I think there was quite big jump of difficulty between week 4 and the peer assigment.

By Alex B

Dec 18, 2019

some quizes or coding tasks were worded pretty badly and were confusing to many students. It needs to be reviewed and edited. Also, more practice tasks between the videos would be a lot more helpful rather than giving 10 videos in a row.

By Anubhav N

Aug 21, 2018

The course structure is so very well laid out that on reaching the final week, I am hungry to learn more and more concepts and practical uses of SQL. I also feel that there should be more examples and coding assignments to practice.

By Prateek G

Apr 05, 2020

I think i lreant quite a lot more from really googling. The course is an excellent framework, but you will need to reference a lot of external sources, for clarity, and for really understanding and aplpying the concepts you learn.

By Kshitij K

Good course to learn SQL queries. I think it will be helpful for someone who wants to pursue a career in data science. Final assignment and quizzes however were very confusing and not in line with what was taught in the videos.

By Callum L

Feb 04, 2018

A good introduction to SQL. The first few weeks were very informative and easy to follow, however week 3 and week 4 seemed disjointed. Some topics were covered very briefly, so I feel like my understanding Is not quite complete.

By Christian A R N

Jul 28, 2018

very nice course and good explanation

would have been nice if a summary document would have been provided at the end of each module to be able to look up content more easy and have a guide when writing applications later in time