Back to The Science of Stem Cells

Learner Reviews & Feedback for The Science of Stem Cells by American Museum of Natural History

What promise do stem cells hold for the treatment of medical conditions? In this five-part online course you will explore the history and basic biology of stem cells, learn about new research techniques, and find out how stem cells could lead to cures for diseases and to individualized medicine. You will hear from Museum scientists, medical researchers at the frontiers of the field, and a panel of bioethics experts who will address the ethical implications of stem cell research and therapy. Learn what has already been accomplished, what challenges remain, and what medical breakthroughs may lie ahead....

VS

Apr 04, 2020

This course has been really useful for me to understand the concepts of what stem cells really are and to understand their potential to bring about revolutionary changes in the field of medicine.

SK

Jun 30, 2020

great experience from this course and i got a lot of knowledge about the iPS tech and stem cell development and how it is currently the important prospect for the next generation medical science

1 - 25 of 313 Reviews for The Science of Stem Cells

By Laura L

Nov 25, 2019

I haven't finished yet, but I'm really enjoying the course. Mr Mazzoni is an excellent lecturer, explaining things such that even I understand. Plenty of pictures are worth thousands of words.

By Iltimass G

Apr 10, 2020

Amazing course! Not only does it teach you valuable information about stem cells, but also gives you a closer look to scientific research and what it's like to work as a scientist. Thank you!

By Vaidehi s

Apr 04, 2020

By ANIRBAN G M

Apr 09, 2020

I am very much thankful to the coursera group for introducing this course. The course was highly interesting and I got a lot of updated information from this course. I am specially thankful to the professors who taught the course really well. Also the introduction of the guest lectures and the discussion panel regarding the ethical issues helped me to understand the topic more clearly.Thank you everyone.

By Neeraj D

Apr 25, 2020

Great Course!! Would recommend this to all who are curious to learn more about stem cells. The course is easy to follow and the extra reading material is very helpful. The course not on only teach you about the stem cell but also the current research approach to cure various diseases, brief overview of steps involved in clinical trials and ethical issues related to stem cell usage.

By Shuvayan D

Jun 01, 2020

Such a nice course, I am 2nd year Biotechnology student and this course provides a lot of good insights to stem cell research.Not only these course is informative but also it discussed with practical problems faced by scientist in labs and clinics and ethical issues regarding them. Its a well constituted course. Thanks to all the Professors and specially Dr. Zehra Dincer.

By Adam G

Mar 22, 2020

Honestly an awesome course. I'm 16 and I felt that a lot of the lectures were technical - but not to the extent where I was unable to follow. There was a nice balance between ideology and technicality. Brilliant lecturers, but I wished the experts for bioethics talked about their own views more instead of just the issues that arise from stem cells.

By Kashish-Anmol S

May 07, 2020

Certainly a well-fleshed out course for stem-cell and developmental biology enthusiasts. The module on bioethics was especially eye-opening and certainly brought to light all the grey areas of stem cell research and how there are still many debatable questions that require answering.

By Shaugat k

Jun 30, 2020

By Rose A F

Apr 24, 2020

I work primarily on BMSCs and the informations on embryonic stem cells - procedure on isolation up to policies - are a welcome update on what I should know on other stem cells.

By Donna R

Sep 05, 2018

Excellent, well presented course. The content was difficult and I reviewed some of the videos several times, even with a science background. I highly recommend this!

By Swarn S ' D A W

Jan 07, 2019

Good. It'd be even better if a more advanced version was made available too. It'd be great if similar courses on other topics are produced as well, like CRISPR/Cas9.

By Skorentseva K

Aug 13, 2020

Great course, but sometimes it can be too easy for people who are not new in the biology field :)

By Zuzana R

Jun 29, 2018

I must admit I was deeply saddened and partialy disgusted by the way authors of this course perceive the ethics of the stem cells research. While discussing over and over the moral status of an embryo, which is a blop of cells, they all work on daily basis with living creatures, suffering and dying under their hands, and none of them seemed concerned about this.

By Abhisekh C

Jun 13, 2020

The course is very much interesting and the course instructor Dr. Zehren Dincer has coordinated the course very well. She has explained very nicely about the definition of stem cells and types of stem cells. Apart from that, she has delivered a nice interview session for bioethics of stem cells and also put forward her opinion on the legal issue of stem cells in US. How did the US federal funding limit the embryonic stem cell research as per the opinion of former President George W. Bush in US? This part has also explained by the scientific delegates very well.

By Mayank B

May 09, 2020

I am really grateful to the team for creating such a wonderful course on Stem Cells. This course is complete in itself and has provided me with an immense knowledge in the filed. The course has impacted me such that Stem Cells Study has been added as one of my favourites topics for further studies in research. I would also like to specially mention about Dr. Esteban Mazzoni about his creativeness in explaining the concepts lucidly. I really enjoyed the course !

By Paula M P

Es un buen curso para todos aquellos que quieran saber lo básico sobre el campo de las células madre o para aquellos que quieran ampliar levemente sus conocimientos en el ámbito o sean curiosos.

Si ya tienes conocimiento en este área es posible que te resulte un curso muy básico pero viene muy bien para refrescar conocimientos y reflexionar sobre los problemas éticos que generan estas células. La unidad 5 en especial es soberbia en ese último ámbito.

By Kaustav M

Jul 09, 2020

This is perhaps the best basic course on Stem cell biology that I have ever come across. Concepts were explained simply. Got to learn a lot about iPSCs, how stem cells are cultured in the lab, what cutting edge research is being done with the stem cells. Also, the important aspect of Bioethics of stem cells was an important area of discussion and learning which every future stem cell researcher needs to understand. Amazing course!!

By Aparna S

Aug 11, 2020

The course is beautifully designed and has covered every aspect from knowing what a stem cell is to its applications to its ethical concerns. It provided a great and complete overview about stem cells. Highly recommended to those who wish to know the future potential of stem cell biology and the latest advancements in stem cell technology. I would like to thank my instructor Dr. Zehra Dincer for introducing such an amazing course.

By ALEXANDER E

Sep 02, 2019

I enrolled into "The Science of Stem Cells" course because I am living with incurable illness (T1D) and I wanted to gain educational insight behind the potential treatment advancements of Stem Cell Research. I loved how the course is laid out, explains various details about the nearly limitless good medical applications this could become integrated with our daily lives to participate in the future of medicine.

By Michelle C

May 08, 2020

I gained much more knowledge on topics related to stem cells, but not limited to stem cells, such as human chimeras, CRISPR/Cas9 gene editing technology and etc,. The lesson I found most interesting is the one in week 5, which is about the ethical and moral issues behind the use of embryonic stem cells and other related areas. In general, I really enjoyed the course.

By Adelle M

Jun 25, 2020

Easy to complete in your own time at your place of work or at home in your own time makes this course more flexible for anyone who may struggle to find time to get the hours in

The modules were very interesting and informative and good to test your new skills and knowledge each week

Highly recommend for anyone working within or around stem cells and stem cell research

By Muhammad H

May 22, 2019

I really enjoyed this course. This course has increased my knowledge about stem cells that how it can be used for the treatment of different kinds of diseases like Alzheimer's etc. Moreover, I studied about the development of embryo. There're many things which I have learned from this course. That was a great time for me being there.

By Manuel A O M

Jan 25, 2020

I've been working in the field of stem cells. Thus, from my point of view the course is well structured, the information is precise and easy for beginners, and one can understand easily the contents in it. Maybe, I would have liked it a bit more difficult for me, however, I learned new things and I strongly recommend it to others.

By Abhishek S

Aug 13, 2020

This course has been one of the most interesting courses available online. The speakers explain each and everything so precisely that one can fall in love with stem cells. The whole course is on one side and the last module on bioethics is on the other. I never thought subjects like ethics could be so interesting and funny too.